The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2013 hopefuls! (again, early...)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by char.p
I got that too! Are you on the gateway? Which accommodation are you in? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I'm doing vet med :smile: college grove (woop) which accommodation are you in? :smile:
Original post by SklIsMentalAbuse
What kind of GCSE's did you guys get both normal entry BVetMed and Veterinary Gateway students? I found out mine today and they're worse than I expected but I've always wanted to become a Vet! Would appreciate help and advice from anyone to be honest. Thank you in advance :smile:.

Starting BVetMed in september and got 9A's, 1B and 2C's. I was told by my sixth form not to bother applying because I didn't get any A*'s but mwahaha, they were wrong!
Can I ask what you got? Most unis ask for 5-6 A's :smile:
Reply 6522
Original post by redcider5
No I'm doing vet med :smile: college grove (woop) which accommodation are you in? :smile:

Oh I'm Mary B :smile: so exciting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6523
Starting BVetMed in september and got 9A's, 1B and 2C's. I was told by my sixth form not to bother applying because I didn't get any A*'s but mwahaha, they were wrong!

Exactly the same!! My school told me I had no chance so ended up taking english, history, french and biology for A level at first and then had to restart when I realised all their advice was rubbish a year on when I couldn't stand doing anything else :smile:

What kind of GCSE's did you guys get both normal entry BVetMed and Veterinary Gateway students? I found out mine today and they're worse than I expected but I've always wanted to become a Vet! Would appreciate help and advice from anyone to be honest. Thank you in advance :smile:.

I got 8As, 2Bs and 2Cs. Honestly, as long as you meet the minimum, they don't care what GCSEs you have. AS results are more important, but again not be all end all, my friend got a ABBC (B biology and C in chemistry) at AS and got all 4 interviews for vet :smile:
Reply 6524

1 A, 7 Bs, 2 Cs and 1 D (bio/chem/phys/maths Bs, english Cs). Starting 5 yr BVetMed as a graduate. I am also dyslexic and had no support until 2nd year of college.
Basically learnt that revising the day before only doesnt work. My sciences and art should have been As. Art went bad as I really messed up my final project and exam.
Anyway, that was 9 years ago so they pretty much dont count anymore (except maybe maths and english).

EDIT: Sorry redcidar, I seem to have quoted you by mistake, meant to quote the other person

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Almckeever
Hi everyone,

a friend of mine wants to study veterinary science, applying this year. She always has done and has plenty if work experience.

unfortantly her as grades didn't go to plan: biology B, chemistry B, maths B, French D.

She got 5A* 7A at gcse.

Her predicted grades are AAA.

should she still apply? or apply for something like zoology then take a gap year and reapply if she gets her AAA.

any advice would be great, please be honest, no offence will be taken!

She could phone and individual universities and ask. She does have Bs in the required subjects though so apart from Liverpool who ask for a b in the As you drop she would probably be alright with AAA predicted grades. I wouldn't apply for zoology unless she applies the next time around as a backup option.
So she wouldn't be wasting her time applying this year? What I mean is, would the best course of action be to apply for zoology this year, to keep that option open if grades go sour next year, rather than having to worry about clearing etc. but then if she gets AAA next year, reject her offers and apply for vetenary science. Or would you suggest just going for it this time round?

This time if she has good work experience :smile:
Reply 6527
Im off to nottingham in september on the prelim, i got 1A* 2A's 2B's and 6C's at GCSE, i didn't do A-levels i went wild for a year or two then did some college stuff to do with animals, then went travelling, then lost sight of my dream trying to please others who'd said i was not good enough for vet med! i turned my life around did an access course got nothing but distinctions, joined the magazine, student union, ran a marathon, did a load of work experience and worked with animals for years won awards in my local community for outstanding achievement tho i come from a poor area of liverpool! Liverpool uni told me not to bother applying! Notts took me and said they were impressed with my efforts and determination! so ANYONE can go for it and I'm 28 now!!
Nottingham seem the best place because they are fair, they interview properly, they really look at the candidate as a whole, they want more than grades they want real passionate people with grades and determination! good luck people! if i can do it anyone can!
Original post by Pandabay
Im off to nottingham in september on the prelim, i got 1A* 2A's 2B's and 6C's at GCSE, i didn't do A-levels i went wild for a year or two then did some college stuff to do with animals, then went travelling, then lost sight of my dream trying to please others who'd said i was not good enough for vet med! i turned my life around did an access course got nothing but distinctions, joined the magazine, student union, ran a marathon, did a load of work experience and worked with animals for years won awards in my local community for outstanding achievement tho i come from a poor area of liverpool! Liverpool uni told me not to bother applying! Notts took me and said they were impressed with my efforts and determination! so ANYONE can go for it and I'm 28 now!!
Nottingham seem the best place because they are fair, they interview properly, they really look at the candidate as a whole, they want more than grades they want real passionate people with grades and determination! good luck people! if i can do it anyone can!

Congratulations! :smile:
I'm 25 and starting my access course in 2 weeks. I'll only be applying to Liverpool and Bristol... fingers crossed I have enough work ex for Liverpool! Unfortunately Nottingham won't take me because Access students can only do the 6 year course and I studied biology and chemistry A-Levels (got C's) in 2006 so I'm excluded from applying to do the 6 year course :frown:
There's no point in me applying to the RVC either as there is no way on this earth I can afford to live in London :frown:
But I'm optimistic! Liverpool seemed really positive when I talked with the admissions staff at the open day.

Congratulations everyone!! I'm so jealous... but hopefully I'll be in your positions next year!

Wow that's amazing grades! I achieved 1 A* (Eng Lang), 3 As and 7 Bs. The sciences were the B grades which sort of jeopardises my chances but I'm going to ask my school to re-mark my Biology coursework and possibly re-take GCSE Chemistry.
Original post by wallaby
Exactly the same!! My school told me I had no chance so ended up taking english, history, french and biology for A level at first and then had to restart when I realised all their advice was rubbish a year on when I couldn't stand doing anything else :smile:

I got 8As, 2Bs and 2Cs. Honestly, as long as you meet the minimum, they don't care what GCSEs you have. AS results are more important, but again not be all end all, my friend got a ABBC (B biology and C in chemistry) at AS and got all 4 interviews for vet :smile:

Thanks for the response. Well I got 1 A*, 3 As and 7 Bs. So the minimum is 5 As from what I've read so I have technically 4 out of 5 of the required. Want to remark my Bio to bring that up to an A and maybe re-take GCSE Chemistry to get that to an A also. Really gonna put my head down and put 100% effort into my A Levels :smile:.
Reply 6531
She has a week at a dairy farm
week at pig farm
11 months weekly volunteering at dogs rehoming kennels
Attended vet-med link
spend a day on a farm before Christmas preparing pheasants and turkeys
she will also have voluntary/work experience at horse world and voluntary/work experience in a vet clinic and watched operations etc by application deadline

is that enough?

I'm sure the mods will reply but it probably depends how much experience she's had in vet practices (she's got good all-round experience there otherwise). They want at least 2 weeks preferably in different practices and preferably small and large animal. Also, I can't see any lambing on the list - I remember the vet schools saying they wanted lambing experience but I don't know how essential it is.

It's definitely worth applying though - just make sure you follow all the advice about personal statements (and upload it on the PS help on here). Also imho, if she wants to be a vet there's little point having a back-up - better to take a year out to improve work experience or re-sits if needed.

(I'm a parent of a student about to go to Nottingham and feeling very relieved that this bit's out if the way now for us!)

Good luck.
I GOT IN!!!! Lalalalalalala :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itspossible
I GOT IN!!!! Lalalalalalala :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where are you going? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6534
Hey well done, i got all distinctions for mine are you doing access to science and allied medical professions? it has to be a straight science one as I'm sure u know, what college you doing yours at? I'm from a college near liverpool they told me my college was useless and that they'd not even look at me on the access. Nottingham can still consider you for the D100, if you have a great personal statement etc they HAVE to consider you. Sometimes i feel in a better position as an access because i know i worked just as hard but didn't have that A-level fear. my course was 66 credits at level 3, none of mine were level 2 but i know a lot do a few units at level 2 which i didn't want to do. Bit miffed at Liverpool for being rude but hahaha i got into nottingham so who cares!! i hope you get into liverpool!! i really do, and as long as u have the WOW personal statement etc (i can send u mine if u like as i don't like to brag but got told it was one of the best they'd ever received :wink:) and any other help let me know! can u drive? i found that joining my student council, getting involved in college activities etc helps too because its not all academic. I also train at long distance running now too, you name it i signed up for it haha! god luck!! try for notts anyway you have a chance!!! :smile: theres the D109 too which counts A-levels you can still have A levels! xx
Original post by aliceblue
Congratulations! :smile:
I'm 25 and starting my access course in 2 weeks. I'll only be applying to Liverpool and Bristol... fingers crossed I have enough work ex for Liverpool! Unfortunately Nottingham won't take me because Access students can only do the 6 year course and I studied biology and chemistry A-Levels (got C's) in 2006 so I'm excluded from applying to do the 6 year course :frown:
There's no point in me applying to the RVC either as there is no way on this earth I can afford to live in London :frown:
But I'm optimistic! Liverpool seemed really positive when I talked with the admissions staff at the open day.

Congratulations everyone!! I'm so jealous... but hopefully I'll be in your positions next year!

I got 5A*, 4As and a B for GCSE. I got 3A and an A* for A level, but I waited to apply and had a gap year to get work experience, as I put so much effort into grades I didn't really have time to have any decent placements. Go for it if its what you want to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itspossible
I got 5A*, 4As and a B for GCSE. I got 3A and an A* for A level, but I waited to apply and had a gap year to get work experience, as I put so much effort into grades I didn't really have time to have any decent placements. Go for it if its what you want to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the response :') and congrats on your amazing grades :biggrin:. You going to Uni this year?
Reply 6538
Hey,

Question for existing students, did any of you make a budget plan for the year? or could you give me an example of what you normally spend every week/month? I would like to work out roughly how much support I need from my parents.
I am going to rvc and I am catered, but you can include food budget as thats always helpful knowledge for year 2+. Any help is so much appreciated :smile:

Thanks,
Kittys
Original post by beckycat
See you next month!! :biggrin:

I've gotten into the RVC for vet med too :smile: See you guys there! So excited :biggrin: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending