The Student Room Group

History Applicants 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by returnmigrant
History is a very popular and hugely competitive subject. There are very few 'low entry' courses for single subject (maybe Coventry, Chichester, Hull, UCLAN ?).

If you need a 'safety' choice then look at a combined subject degree. These usually have lower entry requirements simply because there isnt so much competition for a place but are offered at Unis still considered 'sensible choice' like Keele, Bath Spa or Oxford Brookes.

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, it's for my safer option, the one lower than my predicted grades - just in case :biggrin:

Have looked at other courses at Bath Spa when I thought I wanted to do creative writing, and Hull is good for me location wise, will take a look. :smile:
Original post by colourtheory
Your are my twin! :biggrin: I also love Medieval and Renaissance history and tend to stay away from recent history. And we're applying to the same unis... although I must confess that I am an Oxford applicant and Cambridge, best of luck! :wink:

*high five* :biggrin: Wow, best of luck! I'm applying post A Level (next year basically) and good luck with the HAT ! :wink:
Original post by returnmigrant

Reply 103
Has anyone been on the open degree with the open university? I'm planning to do classics, history and art history. Though I'm not sure how much history I need to do to make it a history degree.
Original post by Arketec
Has anyone been on the open degree with the open university? I'm planning to do classics, history and art history. Though I'm not sure how much history I need to do to make it a history degree.

No but I'm doing a CertHE (the first year of a degree) with the OU so I might be able to answer some questions. The Open degree is very flexible, you can take any subject combination you like but you don't get a named degree at the end, your certificate will say 'BA Open' rather than 'BA History'. The Humanities degree sounds like it would suit you better, you can do all sorts of subject combinations and still get a named degree.
Reply 105
I want to apply to Kings College London with A*A*B already achieved, does anyone think it's worth it?
you need a 'safety' choice then look at a combined subject degree. These usually have lower entry requirements simply because there isnt so much competition for a place but are offered at Unis still considered 'sensible choice' like Keele, Bath Spa or Oxford Brookes.

What happens if your personal statement is solely concentrated on history? I'm thinking of applying to History and Politics at Exeter as one of my choices as well as History and German at Birmingham and my personal statement is pretty much solely based on history :frown:
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Considering applying for joint honours in History and Russian and have been looking at UCL, St Andrews, and Durham so far. I would also be able to continue studying German at St A's because of the flexible course structure. :smile:

Sorry for using an old post but are you going to go for it? :tongue:
Original post by Paparazzo
Sorry for using an old post but are you going to go for it? :tongue:

There have been some slight amendments...:tongue: I think I'm going to apply for History and German at UCL, Durham, St Andrews, Glasgow, and Edinburgh, but would ultimately prefer to attend a Scottish university because of the flexible course structure (I could study Russian as an outside subject in the first two years, and even change the emphasis of my degree very easily throughout those two years), and also because of the lack of tuition fees. :smile:
Original post by ladymarshmallow
There have been some slight amendments...:tongue: I think I'm going to apply for History and German at UCL, Durham, St Andrews, Glasgow, and Edinburgh, but would ultimately prefer to attend a Scottish university because of the flexible course structure (I could study Russian as an outside subject in the first two years, and even change the emphasis of my degree very easily throughout those two years), and also because of the lack of tuition fees. :smile:

Aw, good luck! I'm not ambitious enough to move to Scotland. :tongue:
Reply 110
Hey! I'm applying for history! Mainly to unis in London as I do not plan on moving out! Want to keep my debt as low as possible!
I'll be doing history my AS grades were AAAC
Predictions A*AA

I'll apply to queen Mary, UCL, goldsmiths, but my first choice is SOAS I would love to go there, their history modules are bar far the most
Global and flexible that I've seen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paparazzo
Aw, good luck! I'm not ambitious enough to move to Scotland. :tongue:

This is my problem. In lots of ways Scotland would be better for me (more course flexibility, not as expensive as London, much less crowded and less noisy)... but it is so far away. That shouldn't really be an issue but the more I think about it the less comfortable I am with moving so far. :emo:
Reply 112
which one would you choose between Exeter and UCL?!
I'm really stuck between the two.
Also, can you tell me which one is harder to get into?
Reply 113
Original post by arminb
which one would you choose between Exeter and UCL?!
I'm really stuck between the two.
Also, can you tell me which one is harder to get into?

I would say that UCL is probably harder to get into, it was published recently that it was amongst the top ten on the world

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any of you know of any really compatible joint honours with history, thinking of IR or politics. Any others?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by james_yoshi
Any of you know of any really compatible joint honours with history, thinking of IR or politics. Any others?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Philosophy or English Literature
What are some things that make a candidate more 'desirable' to a University?
Original post by james_yoshi

Posted from TSR Mobile

A foreign language?
Original post by Samual
This is my problem. In lots of ways Scotland would be better for me (more course flexibility, not as expensive as London, much less crowded and less noisy)... but it is so far away. That shouldn't really be an issue but the more I think about it the less comfortable I am with moving so far. :emo:

Tell me about it.

"It's the jump I'll need to push me to be more independent", I tell myself, but actually thinking of moving too far from home makes me think "nope!" But then I think "I'll be fine doing a year abroad" and that doesn't phase me.

Life is a mystery.
Original post by mctruffle
my choices as well as History and German at Birmingham and my personal statement is pretty much solely based on history :frown:

me too :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest