The Student Room Group

LUSH Henna Hair Dye...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChloeTee
Hey just stumbled upon this thread and thought I would chime in since I love Lush Hennas! The first time I used it I was totally disappointed - it was a mess and after sitting around for 2 hours and spending another 30 minutes trying to wash it out there was zero difference! How frustrating... Then years later (ie a few months ago) I decided to give it another go when I went to the shop to get some face wash and the girl had the glossiest red/auburn hair I'd ever seen. She told me it was the henna. Anyway, she went through a far more detailed description of things to try, application tips etc and so I went home and tried it. I decided to go with caca maron because I have dark brown hair and wanted to try the rouge but was afraid at just how 'rouge' it might go.

Tips I found helpful are don't grate it, chop it like you would a bar of chocolate with a big serrated knife - it crumbles up very easily. Add very hot but not boiling water a little at a time and stir stir stir until you have the consistency of greek yoghurt. Wear gloves (they give you a pair but I also bought more at the grocery store as one bar provides more than one application and honestly the ones from the grocery store were better). Lay newspaper down on the floor and counter/table of the room where you are applying the henna (in my case the bathroom). Wear old socks because there are some crumbs that will fall on the floor and if you're in bare feet you might step on them and then have orange blobs on your feet (remember henna is used to dye skin in wedding ceremonies). Keep the henna warm in a bain mary (I used a small baking dish with boiling water into which I put the bowl with my henna mixture) while applying. Once applied, I used a plastic bag on my head instead of clingwrap and then an old wollen hat. I then went to sleep and left it on overnight (much easier than sitting around for HOURS). The next morning set aside at least 30 minutes to wash the henna out of your hair under a warm shower.

The clean up was super easy because I just threw out the newspaper and gave the sink a quick wipe down. Honestly 5 minutes tops!

The results were really glossy dark auburn. I would say the colour different was subtle but definitely noticeable especially under bright lights or in the sun. Now that i've gone through my bar of maron I'm really debating trying the rouge. Love to hear about anybody's experience using the rouge and what results I could expect having dark hair. I know it won't get very red because the henna does not lighten but I'm wondering if it might be more noticeable than the moron.

Cheers!

Try the rouge!

I use it all the time on my dark hair and I love it! It's not too red either, it wont make you look pillar-box red, but in the sun it will show. Also, if you don't like it, you can henna maron over it again.
Reply 21
I know this is an old thread but I'm interested in trying out the Lush Caca Marron henna. I have kinda golden-caramel-brown hair (maybe a little darker in the winter) and I was wondering what colour the Caca Marron would make my hair? Also I was wondering how lok the colour will last/how quickly it will fade?

Quick Reply

Latest