The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

My HND in UCAS points?

I've got a HND1 in Photography and a bit of a HND2, I am wondering what my UCAS points are.

I have done sixteen units and they are all valued(?) at 6.0

I got 2 Distinctions, 7 Merits and 7 Pass.

Anyone know?

Thank you
Reply 1
anyone know? I can't find anything on line... Its very confusing!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Gecko7
I've got a HND1 in Photography and a bit of a HND2, I am wondering what my UCAS points are.

I have done sixteen units and they are all valued(?) at 6.0

I got 2 Distinctions, 7 Merits and 7 Pass.

Anyone know?

Thank you

You don't have UCAS points as such. Rather, you have the equivalent of the first two years of university. The question is whether you could convert that into OU credits and therefore minimise your study. I honestly don't know whether the OU even offer photography, or a related subject. You would do best to contact the OU directly.

The 6.0 you speak of is to do with calculating the final grade (DD, DM, MM, etc.). That is in the specification for the HND.
Reply 3
I will do an Open Degree with the OU, so basically 'top up' my current study with that.

The thing is, I would really like to get a 2:1 so that I can carry on to study a Masters in my chosen subject.

I dont know how it works with perhaps only transferring some of the credits which enable me to keep an average so that I can achieve a reasonable mark.

Thank you for replying to me.
Original post by Gecko7
I will do an Open Degree with the OU, so basically 'top up' my current study with that.

The thing is, I would really like to get a 2:1 so that I can carry on to study a Masters in my chosen subject.

I dont know how it works with perhaps only transferring some of the credits which enable me to keep an average so that I can achieve a reasonable mark.

Thank you for replying to me.

Your final grade normally counts solely on your OU study. So you might be fine.
Reply 5
Original post by addylad
Your final grade normally counts solely on your OU study. So you might be fine.

Yes, it is usually dependent wholly on level 3 study (3rd year uni), sometimes they bring in level 2 modules. With the HND it brings you up to the second year of university. I cannot tell you specifically, but I should think that with a credit transfer you should only have to do one level two module (60 credits) and two level 3 modules (60 credits each). (based on other people's experiences of credit transfers). :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you so much (why this isn't on the OU site I don't know)

so 4 units all together, I have just been studying Contemporary Social Work, Sociology and Psychology at uni so I will probably look for something similar as I've had a bit of a head start.

What about resources at the OU?

I enjoy going to libraries, will this not be possible anymore?
Reply 7
Original post by Gecko7
Thank you so much (why this isn't on the OU site I don't know)

so 4 units all together, I have just been studying Contemporary Social Work, Sociology and Psychology at uni so I will probably look for something similar as I've had a bit of a head start.

What about resources at the OU?

I enjoy going to libraries, will this not be possible anymore?

There is plenty of info about credit transfer on the OU site. Hopefully that'll answer most of your questions! You might not have found anything if you were looking for UCAS points because they are not the same thing as credits for credit transfer. UCAS points are only used for getting into brick universities - higher education itself is not worth any UCAS points as far as I'm aware. The OU have no use for them as they don't have entry requirements.

I would definitely suggest sticking with the same subject area, especially if you're only planning on doing level 3 modules with the OU (not sure how many credits a HND is worth, but if it's 240 then you only have 120 more to complete your degree, so they would all need to be level 3). Level 3 modules generally recommend studying certain level 2 modules beforehand, so you might find yourself at a very big disadvantage if you go for something completely new.

Well, there's obviously nothing stopping you going to your local public library, but if you want to continue going to university libraries then that also might be possible! Check out this page.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I've spoken to someone at credit transfer today, they told me that my credits for 16 units at HND level would be 190, They transfer in multiples of 30, so I have 180 transferrable credits. I will not need to do any Level 1 units, just find 180 credits from further study.

My pass/distinction/merits will not matter, it only matters what credit is transferred.

I can also get a BSC as long as I pick social science modules from here, which is fantastic.

So as long as I get decent grades, I will get a 2:1 + which would mean I could go on to do a masters in my chosen field.

Which is very very positive. Will be applying in November for a course starting in February!

Very exciting!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending