The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey...how much are they? where do u get them?? can u buy or only rent?
I managed to penny the Senior Tutor. At matric dinner- goodness, i learn fast!

I did only penny a glass of water, though, as I wasn't sure how she'd react otherwise!
Reply 62
You pennied Polly? What did she do?

You can (and should) buy gowns (http://www.cam.ac.uk/cambarea/local/gowns.html lists all the places they're available to buy or rent). Colleges usually sell cheap second hand ones and tend to be able to lend you one if you've lost yours. Renting is a bit tricky and expensive (apart from Graduation stuff).
I got my gown in December. I know I'm sad, but it's been two years of waiting and I wanted to make it feel more real. (Plus my mum and dad were with me and offered to pay... I wasn't gonna refuse. :P)

Sadly, as I'm small, it looks absolutely ridiculous..

Now I just need a scarf to complete the Harry Potter look!! :p:
if you're at Selwyn, you get the Gryffindor look. Fact. (Red and Gold scarf)
Nooooo... the only other person I know has got in to Selwyn!!!! Dammit..

oh, well, I guess I'll just have to nick hers. :P

EDIT: The only other person I know who is going to Cambridge. Just thought I'd better clear that up. I do have more than one friend. Honest!
Certain rules can be broken. I've heard a (possibly made up) story about a certain "lady" of the college stretching the rule that females could wear whatever they wanted under their gown by wearing not very much at all...

Helenia may well be able to provide more details; seeing as she's an old fogey as opposed to my fresh-faced squeaky clean and shiny new fresher-ness! :p:
Reply 67
god its so exciting cant wait to get one, hmm shame I need to pass the exams first!

HOw much does a new one cost?----£50!!!

WHats the Saxony Wrap??

What level do you need to row at to wear that cool suit??
FadeToBlackout
I've heard a (possibly made up) story about a certain "lady" of the college stretching the rule that females could wear whatever they wanted under their gown by wearing not very much at all...

That doesn't sound very ladylike to me! :eek:
"lady" perhaps being a little too ironic a word. "Bicycle", perhaps more accurate... or "maneater". :wink:
Reply 70
Surely the Jesus gowns with there nicely pleated and slit shoulders are far more practical for formal soup eating.

Oh and its not uncommon to see people going to chapel in gowns should anyone wonder why i might be seen rushing to kings/johns in my jesus gown.

Jesus seems to be quite pro-gown!

Oh and Homertonians don't have to own gowns either... but some homertonians do and some even wore them in the matric photo!

Justin
Reply 71
popop12345
god its so exciting cant wait to get one, hmm shame I need to pass the exams first!

HOw much does a new one cost?----£50!!!

Anything between £30 and £55 for a new one, depending on the college and where you buy it from. There's been a link posted about where to get one.

popop12345
WHats the Saxony Wrap??

I have no idea what that is. Should I?

popop12345
What level do you need to row at to wear that cool suit??

If you're referring to the 'blues' blazer, the one that's a robins-egg blue colour, you don't necessarily have to row. One becomes a blue by competing in one of a certain set of sports in a varsity match against Oxford and then being invited to the Hawk's club, or something like that. I'm not a big sporting man, so I don't know the details, but basically play against Oxford in a fairly well-established and well-respected sport.
Reply 72
Rik_Rock

If you're referring to the 'blues' blazer, the one that's a robins-egg blue colour, you don't necessarily have to row. One becomes a blue by competing in one of a certain set of sports in a varsity match against Oxford and then being invited to the Hawk's club, or something like that. I'm not a big sporting man, so I don't know the details, but basically play against Oxford in a fairly well-established and well-respected sport.

yes...the blue blazer you are entitled to wear when you play against oxford in a full blue sport. There is a half blue blazer for half blue sports - which is white and blue stripes. you dont have to be invited to hawks to wear either.
Reply 73
Ticki
Renting is a bit tricky and expensive (apart from Graduation stuff).

I so should have bought the furry graduation hood, it was so fun wandering around in town with it all on (note: also far too hot for June). Especially everyone's reactions in Maccy Ds :biggrin: I'm such an attention whore.

FadeToBlackout
"lady" perhaps being a little too ironic a word. "Bicycle", perhaps more accurate... or "maneater". :wink:

Jeez she isn't there anymore and she still has a reputation with the freshers; in all fairness, she's a very nice person.

A.
I found the online archive of Clareif, so I'm marginally biased...

Though I'm sure she is nice. Though even the Badger knew her reputation!
Reply 75
Rik_Rock
Anything between £30 and £55 for a new one, depending on the college and where you buy it from. There's been a link posted about where to get one.

I have no idea what that is. Should I?

Next to the gowns on the website posted earlyer were saxony Wrap, for Slightly above and below £15.(depending on college):confused: :confused:
Reply 76
Alaric

Jeez she isn't there anymore and she still has a reputation with the freshers; in all fairness, she's a very nice person.

A.

She's made a few return visits though - and made herself known :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending