The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've had my car at very naughty speeds *ahem*100*ahem* and the box still scores me like 2.8 for speed xD
Reply 1501
My friend been 130 mph for couple seconds with box still no warning lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emznjav
My friend been 130 mph for couple seconds with box still no warning lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

And you think that because the box doesn't warn you that it's safe to drive at those speeds? Stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys
Does anyone know if I installl a sub and an amp in to my car will they find out and is it counted as a car modification? Although it's just inside and for sound comfort... I heard they can check the battery.
Original post by heywhatsup
Hi guys
Does anyone know if I installl a sub and an amp in to my car will they find out and is it counted as a car modification? Although it's just inside and for sound comfort... I heard they can check the battery.

This is classed as a modification, but if you have already had the black box installed, then they won't know about the new sound system. However if you do get into an accident, you wouldn't be covered.
Original post by heywhatsup
Hi guys

I'd phone your insurer to make sure before you do anything. Much better to be safe than sorry with something like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1506
According to Coop, reducing my mileage increases my premium by like a third, Jesus.

The woman on the phone started asking a tonne of questions when I said I'd leave it the way it was.

I got 2 years NCB and experience now, I don't need to stay with these guys, they should know I have options. :colonhash:
Original post by Prolite
as long as its not obv mod you will be fine if its like tinted windows and stuff its time to take it off as the engineer will need to take pic of the car

Well when I had the engineer around, My car was slammed, tints all round, purple wheels and had a momo racing wheel.

He fitted it and said nothing...
Original post by lovekitty123
I NEED HELPPPPPPP

im doing this insurance for a Peugeot 206 S CC engine 1.6.
Im 18 and ive had my license for over a month now.

My dad will be main driver and me and my mum will be additional drivers.
My dad has 9 years NCD.

Im getting a quote for £1400.

Is there ANY ways to minimize the price??

Any tips or tricks will be appreciated!

Firstly, who is the actual car for? You or your father?if you put your Dad as the main driver and yet you do most of the driving on the car, that's known as 'fronting', which is illegal. Don't take any risks, not worth it.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/millions-break-the-law-to-get-cheaper-car-cover/0013822/

Back to your question, um, you should try toggling around with the mileage per year and the excess costs and you might notice a slight difference
Original post by James A
Firstly, who is the actual car for? You or your father?if you put your Dad as the main driver and yet you do most of the driving on the car, that's known as 'fronting', which is illegal. Don't take any risks, not worth it.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/millions-break-the-law-to-get-cheaper-car-cover/0013822/

Back to your question, um, you should try toggling around with the mileage per year and the excess costs and you might notice a slight difference

Its actually my dads car but I'll be driving it occasionally.

Just wondering; how can someone actually get caught fronting?

alright ill try that!
Original post by lovekitty123
Its actually my dads car but I'll be driving it occasionally.

Just wondering; how can someone actually get caught fronting?

alright ill try that!

Ah, well insurance companies can be pretty fussy about how often you'll be using the car. You need to inform them about how often you'll be driving roughly.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120210104336AAedow5

Read the second answer down.

In a nutshell, insurers will do everything to prove that you have been fronting (if you of course claim not to have). They will even ask neighbours about how often they see the car used by you etc. It's their job to prove that you are guilty :redface:

If you do get caught fronting, that will have serious implications on being allowed insurance with other providers as they will be informed about your previous record.
Can anyone help me out. I'm trying to go for a golf or polo (don't have the car yet but any between year 2000-2006 ish) and I live in bad postcode area (IG1) which causes the prices to be quite high. I'm trying to go with co-op but open to anything (if it's cheaper of course). I am 21 and i've had my license since June 2013 and I will be the only driver of the car. The best quote i've gotten is £2200 fully comp for a 2002 1.2 polo. Is this the the sort of lowest price range I can expect? If not can anyone point me in the right direction to lowering the price? (I not fussed about anything fully comp/third party I just want a cheap deal lol)
I'm 22 with 1 years no claims bonus and I pay £850 with admiral for my 2.0 litre Honda Civic Type R Fn2 and i'm the policy holder. I got lucky with this quote though for sure considering my postcode sucks. My voluntary excess is at £500. Recently got a quote for £1000 for a nissan 350z 3.5 litre V6, £1200 for a mitsubishi lancer evo 6, £1100 for a subaru impreza wrx sti :tongue:. I don't know if I want to take the leap though to any of these cars next, the Type R kills me enough as it is on fuel and these cars would only drink even more. I know i'll always be buying jap cars though. I've only owned 2 cars in my life so far but i've driven many and the k20 VTEC engine on the type R is the most solid motor you will ever come across, period, bulletproof to insane rpm's of literally over 9000, that's superbiker revs right there, not to mention that beautiful sound......even for being a little 4 cylinder :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Does anyone know if the black box records mileage?
If I use the correct amount the monthly cost doubles :frown:
Original post by Liberty.
Does anyone know if the black box records mileage?
If I use the correct amount the monthly cost doubles :frown:

How many miles you have driven? Yes of course it does.
Original post by Joeey009
How many miles you have driven? Yes of course it does.

I'm just looking at quotes at the moment, haven't got a car yet. I'm going to commute to uni, so it's going to be something stupid like 14k a year. Anything above 1k costs £200+ a month on this insurance
I got a warning from Coop a week ago.
Original post by Yawn11
I got a warning from Coop a week ago.

What for?
Original post by lee1985
What for?

Speeding
Reply 1519
The Co-op young driver offer good rewards, friendly customer service but do not really support you when you need it. I had an accident, they did not support my case even though I was 100% not in the wrong. They settled for 50/50 before looking at all the evidence, I then complained and sent in my evidence, did not hear anything from them. Then called up about 2 weeks later and I wasn't even on there system in the department which deals with accidents and claims?!!. Went through ALOT OF HASSLE, COMPLETELY WASTED MY TIME, Then eventually gave up!. I then had to pay to cancel my annual insurance even though I though I was involved in an accident? and they even offered to continue to insure my car even though it was written off?! LOL

AVOID THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest