The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Is Coventry a good uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by p3tr01h34d
Mate, Coventry university is full of foreign students.
Coventry itself is a crap town, I thought Birmingham was rough and it is but at least it has very nice city center. Coventry has kasbah (warehouse club) and a few crappy student bars, it cannot even be compared to Birmingham, (Gate Crasher, Oceana, Custard factory, NIA, NEC, LG areana, HMV institute, Rainbow warehouse, Broad street, endless number of bars and clubs).
Don't get me started on how the university is run, its a joke!, lecturers cant speak fluent English, facilities are ancient if you are not in the engineering and computing building. The university is spread out across the city center, you will find yourself walking through shoppers to get to lectures.
Coventry itself is a dump, worst areas are the Hillfields and down by the city college. If you travel parking is horrendous with NCP car parking under the fly overs charging up to £10 a day, student car parking has been introduced this year at £2 a day, but you wont get a space anywhere after 11am.

The list goes on and on, quoting population numbers is dumb, actually spend time studying at the dump, paying astronomical parking prices, using the crap facilities and socializing in the bars and clubs. As I said before, I would not recommend Coventry university and if I had to make the choice again I would look elsewhere.

This is only my opinion, I don't intend to offend anybody who is currently or planning on studying at Coventry, I am probably biased through having bad experiences, some will find the facilities sufficient and enjoy their time studying their chosen course. To give credit the facilities have improved ten fold since I first enrolled.

You said , that at cov uni there are foreign students? And most tutors can't speak English? So u think u are not rude? Ever heard studying abroad? What about your people, English students go outside UK to study abroad ; e.g. USA, Germany or China. So is it forbidden for foreign students to study at cov uni? To me u sound stubborn and racists. Without the immigrants UK would be a ****hole. There is bad and good everyone but to disciminate students and tutors who are atleats doing their job and work instead like your " English " people are lazy and all they do is get drunk and want to sit at home get the benefits and live their life's on job centre. I hate people like you who are mowing about forgein people and that they are stealing their jobs. They pay tax same as you, they atleast work hard. Like most they complain why only immigrants get the jobs? The reason why is because they accept any job not like u , looking for a easy job to sit down on your ass ans get paid 10 grand a month. If English people wouldnt be so lazy then the government wouldnt let any immigrants to enter UK and work. So complain about your people and not foreign people. And if u don't like Coventry then don't even come to visit we don't need people like u in Coventry. Go to bham u won't see any white people in town, only Indians and Pakistani. Oh and u said that in cov are chavs? Well again they are your people " English", I'd rather grow up with the Indians and Pakistanis than a racists person like u.
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 41
I don't know Cov is a good Uni or not because I haven't arrive yet, but I already start regretting choose this Uni because they work so inefficiently and simply can't keep their word.

I'm a foreign student that about to start my first year and as some of you might know that foreign student require a thing called CAS (issued by Uni) in order to apply for a student visa. I submitted all of my docs needed for my CAS weeks ago yet I am still waiting for it and the lecture starts on 23rd which put me in a very horrible situation.

I gave International office a call this Friday they said I'll receive it in a few hours, nothing happened. Called them last week and the week before that, every time they promise me I will receive it in 2-3 working days. It seems like they doesn't really treat their job and word very seriously. Also during this period I have to send them the same documents three times because they "can't find it" on their email.

I see some of you say there are quite a lot of foreign students in Cov, also the Uni reputation and environment are also alright. However as an international student I don't really feel that I've been treated fairly and serious enough because this whole thing looks like a joke now.

One thing I must give credit to is the staffs of international office are very friendly to me even I sounds frustrated when I call them and listen to me patiently. This makes their attitude in contradiction to their working efficiency.

Sorry if bad grammar and wording because the whole thing is a mess in my head right now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Mimz67
What's wrong with a lot of foreign students being there ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

my point exactly, might be fun :biggrin:!
Reply 43
Hello all,

Interesting discussions so far ;-)

Does anyone know something about the London Campus of Coventry University?

Thanks a lot!
I loved going to Cov uni. Went back recently and the hub looks awesome. Engineering always stood out in my time (and beyond) there.
Reply 45
Hello CJ,

Honestly, this is the first positiv answer! But do you mean Cov. uni in Coventry or London Campus? I am mainly interested in the London Campus.

Anyone else?

Thanks!
Original post by Isa111
Hello CJ,

Honestly, this is the first positiv answer! But do you mean Cov. uni in Coventry or London Campus? I am mainly interested in the London Campus.

Anyone else?

Thanks!

Hey Isa,
Sorry, I don't know all that much about the London campus I'm afraid! I went to the main campus in Cov.
Reply 47
Thanks anyway! I think I'll take the 'risk' and attend the programme ;-)
OP is not serious
Reply 49
What do u mean?
Reply 50
I liked the uni when i studied there however there needs to be more computers available for students but the hub and the new ec building is fantastic. However the problem i had was the lack of communication from the business department they made changes without notifying the students and had many problems with modules transfer, modules being changed from all coursework to exam/coursework which should not have happened. To be honest im glad i finished as i felt the department was very disorganised and a few teachers were very lazy and did not explain the work properly or seemed to care but its a good thing there are course reps you can go to, if you need to voice your concerns. However other departments may be brilliant. The uni may have got excellent score on the nss survey but they actually told us to write positive things so you won't know what the students actually feel.
There is many foreign students but i actually never had a problem with them in my course it was mixed but they were all friendly.

The good thing for new students is you get free textbooks for every single year of your course and there are places to hang out between your free periods like the hub, also there are alot of help with placements and looking for jobs as the uni has a lot of opportunities for part time job which anyone who goes to cov should have a look at.

As a city not a good place to do your shopping but Birmingham is nearby. Dont know much about the nightlife as i dont go clubbing but the new student venue called Hush seems pretty good from what i hear.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 51
I started at Coventry this year and absolutely and completely recommend this university. All the lecturers I have met have been amazing, they are enthusiastic, work hard, positive and encouraging. The city and uni has a fantastic multi-cultural vibe which I think is wonderful and if you embrace it you will love it. The people are welcoming, down to earth and fun to be around. I have found most of the facilities to be modern and functional and the new buildings such as the hub and the engineering building are superb with places to study, eat or relax.

I only have lectures two days a week but I am also on the Global Leaders Program and have become a student rep so I go in others days but even on my days off I will go in just to soak up the atmosphere or study at the library (which is also pretty impressive).

I have always been able to find a computer to work on and I was recently given a new Macbook pro as part of my course but for those courses that do not get a laptop the uni includes all your core text books which can usually cost £100's.

I am already booked to go to Dublin in January and then ill be off to Hong Kong in April, after that it is Kuala Lumper & Germany in the summer all subsidised heavily through the uni. If thats not enough, if there is a particular show or important conference that I feel will really help my course and its abroad, I can apply for the uni to finance it. The uni says that they approve nearly all requests for funds.

If thats not enough, you have an option to work or study abroad in the 3rd year. If you choose to study abroad you can attended a range of universities across Europe and internationally, including China and your fees are paid for by the uni and they will give you a grant to help with living costs. You can choose from a list of universities that Coventry already has links with (and most of these teach in English) or if there is a particular place you want to go you can talk to them about possibly setting something up. Finally, if you do go and study abroad it is possible that if you pass that year at your chosen uni, then return to Coventry and complete your final year with them you will be awarded degrees from both universities. 2 for the price of 1, not bad if I do say so myself.

University can be about what you make of it, study hard, play hard, love life, and come to Coventry, you will not regret it.
Reply 52
I hear they have the best nightlife..... That's all I care about!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by suehadz
I hear they have the best nightlife..... That's all I care about!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have heard wrong, by no means is it awful, but it's nothing special trust me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It came 33rd in the Guardian 2014 league table and won best modern university, so it must be doing something right!
Hello, I am not a student of Coventry, but I am a local, who now studies at Plymouth University.
I also used to sneak into the library with my friends uni I'D card to do work in your library.
Let's put it this way - the library is alot better than plymouth. It's actually quiet and you can get a seat!

The nightlife in comparison to Birmingham isn't obviously going to be great. Coventry is like a mini Birmingham.
But when I go out in Coventry I always enjoy it. Skydome is great and always busy with a pick of clubs to choose from. Jacks, Club M? More? Spon end has many little bars to enjoy, including Inglu. And The phoenix (also known as the Campbell) and the Kasbah (locals call it the colly) have always been my favourites. There's plenty to go to, something on most nights, and whenever I come home during term time the Kasbah is heaving with drunk students. Theres also a lot of cheap Kebab and burger vans plotted everywhere - and the Oak open til Seven across from the arts building for after clubbing drinks (AND ANOTHER BURGER VAN!) what more could you ask for??

The University is polytechnic so don't try to compare it to Oxford - but it's getting better. The SU is brilliant, the campus courtyard is beautiful and you're right next to the Cathedral.

Coventry is a dire city. A lot of things do occur that other places frown upon. But it's easy to live in and the quirkiness of the city just makes life there a lot more funny.

Avoid Hillfields - theres prostitutes. Don't get a student house there. Just don't. It's like real life Grand Theft Auto.
Avoid Gosford Street late at night. Past the Unite halls of Residences everything goes a little down hill.
Earlsdon is safe and close to town. Lovely place. Live there.

Don't get on a bus or wander to suburbs such as Stoke Aldermoor, Bellgreen, Woodend, Tilehill and unless your going to the Warwick Campus, probably good to stay out of Canley too.

The best thing to do is leave the rough ones be, and theyll leave you alone. Most just want to get drunk with their own kind. People in Coventry are infact VERY friendly. We're just a bit crazy once your on our bad side.
Reply 56
Original post by Spookman
I started at Coventry this year and absolutely and completely recommend this university. All the lecturers I have met have been amazing, they are enthusiastic, work hard, positive and encouraging. The city and uni has a fantastic multi-cultural vibe which I think is wonderful and if you embrace it you will love it. The people are welcoming, down to earth and fun to be around. I have found most of the facilities to be modern and functional and the new buildings such as the hub and the engineering building are superb with places to study, eat or relax.

I only have lectures two days a week but I am also on the Global Leaders Program and have become a student rep so I go in others days but even on my days off I will go in just to soak up the atmosphere or study at the library (which is also pretty impressive).

I have always been able to find a computer to work on and I was recently given a new Macbook pro as part of my course but for those courses that do not get a laptop the uni includes all your core text books which can usually cost £100's.

I am already booked to go to Dublin in January and then ill be off to Hong Kong in April, after that it is Kuala Lumper & Germany in the summer all subsidised heavily through the uni. If thats not enough, if there is a particular show or important conference that I feel will really help my course and its abroad, I can apply for the uni to finance it. The uni says that they approve nearly all requests for funds.

If thats not enough, you have an option to work or study abroad in the 3rd year. If you choose to study abroad you can attended a range of universities across Europe and internationally, including China and your fees are paid for by the uni and they will give you a grant to help with living costs. You can choose from a list of universities that Coventry already has links with (and most of these teach in English) or if there is a particular place you want to go you can talk to them about possibly setting something up. Finally, if you do go and study abroad it is possible that if you pass that year at your chosen uni, then return to Coventry and complete your final year with them you will be awarded degrees from both universities. 2 for the price of 1, not bad if I do say so myself.

University can be about what you make of it, study hard, play hard, love life, and come to Coventry, you will not regret it.

Absolutely this. I am also a first year student studying Marketing and I was originally wary of going to Coventry because it was my Insurance choice, after missing out by one mark for the University of Liverpool. However, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here and can see why the University is rising up the league tables and performing very well in the student satisfaction surveys. The staff are all friendly, the accommodation is alright and well located in relation to the city centre, the nightlife is decent compared to many other cities I have visited, and the university buildings are nice including the brand new Hub, Library, and especially the Engineering & Computing building which I am lucky to spend one workshop a week in. If I am to give advice, definitely consider Coventry as it is much better than I ever expected it to be! :smile:
Reply 57
I got a conditional offer toady for bbb law, and i sent my application yday!! Eeeek!
I have applied for the enterprise course, it is one of the only courses in the country that gives you the chance to set up a small business whilst studying.

I also have a conditional offer... I have read very mixed reviews about the uni and I will make up my own mind when I visit it in a week or so.

Sometimes, huge numbers of foreign students can make me feel alienated and frustrated, but I am from Cambridge, which also has a lot so I don't know if it is going to be worse.
Reply 59
There are jot huge numbers of foreign students at Coventry, the international proportion is around 21%. These are a vital part of student life and should be embraced. Coventry has a big focus on creating graduates ready to work in a global market and offers many trips to study and work abroad. This is something you should embrace, particularly if you are looking to start your own business whilst studying. If you are really worried about the number of foreign students at your choice of study venue then this list may help.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/international/international-students-the-facts/by-university/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest