The Student Room Group

KPMG rejection

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
each company looks for different things and you should NOT be put off. head up mate
(edited 11 years ago)
Can't stand KPMG myself- this is the only kind of behaviour that you can expect from a company's senior partners includes a man who got caught taking a brown paper bag full of money in the back of a car.
Reply 22
Original post by Mr awesome man
Can't stand KPMG myself- this is the only kind of behaviour that you can expect from a company's senior partners includes a man who got caught taking a brown paper bag full of money in the back of a car.

Yea, I'm sure that guy is in charge of filtering grad applications... glad you resurrected a year old thread for that insight...
Reply 23
Actually 8A*s, 4As at A-level, Degree from Oxfordbridge and several internships. Through to the assessment centre:aetsch:

PS: Grades/degree doesn't matter really. As long as you can answer a long list of HR BS then you're good to go i.e just scrape the internet for past questions = pass on telephone interview
(edited 10 years ago)

Yeah that one guy is totally indicative of the other 150,000 that work for them... genius
Original post by M1011
Yea, I'm sure that guy is in charge of filtering grad applications... glad you resurrected a year old thread for that insight...

No need to be fecetious, as far as I'm concerned it says a lot about the company's culture. KPMG still ask if you know any senior partners as part of the form- it's not what you know it's who you know with them, by the looks of things. Besides if you want something more recent:
http://theconversation.com/barclays-and-kpmg-involved-in-660m-tax-sham-structure-18586

KPMG are known for controversy, bottom line. It's one thing to work for a company like that, it's another to kid yourself into thinking that the company's entirely above board.
Reply 26
Original post by M1011

I've already replied, but I suppose that what I wrote about the bribe has made student room want to check my messages first, so I'll use another account.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole thing says a lot about the character. The fact that the application form asks for any partners that you might know personally also suggests that they DO have influence in some respect (ever heard of the phrase 'it's not what you know...').

It's one thing to work for a company like that, but another to kid yourself into thinking that that they do is above board. KPMG have been well known for controver for a long time and if you feel like you need something more recent:
http://theconversation.com/barclays-and-kpmg-involved-in-660m-tax-sham-structure-18586

It's a shame that more applicants don't research the company first, but I suppose KPMG's target group are students that are out of touch with the rest if the world- after all that's what they'll be expected to be in employment.

Original post by Hedgeman49
Yeah that one guy is totally indicative of the other 150,000 that work for them... genius

I'd say they have a lot to answer for as to why someone like that is at the top of the company and most of those 150,000 are beneath him. They'll all be promoted through the same HR department.
I'd say they have a lot to answer for as to why someone like that is at the top of the company and most of those 150,000 are beneath him. They'll all be promoted through the same HR department.

He isn't there any more!

You get rogues in every large company.
He isn't there any more!

You get rogues in every large company.

Agreed, but some more than others. This morning I replied with a link to something that only got brought up in September, but it still hasn't been posted. Barclays and KPMG involved in $660m tax sham structure. Isn't the first time either. I think 'Bloodbath's' post said it all really, the guy can't help but boast about how well he's done. So basically, KPMG don't want grounded, modest employees, they want people who think that they are better than the rest of the world. And when you target people like that, you end up with partners like you-know-who. Maybe that's why they're number two...
Word of the day: 'Systemic'
Agreed, but some more than others. This morning I replied with a link to something that only got brought up in September, but it still hasn't been posted. Barclays and KPMG involved in $660m tax sham structure. Isn't the first time either. I think 'Bloodbath's' post said it all really, the guy can't help but boast about how well he's done. So basically, KPMG don't want grounded, modest employees, they want people who think that they are better than the rest of the world. And when you target people like that, you end up with partners like you-know-who. Maybe that's why they're number two...

I don't understand where you got the "they want people who think they are better than the rest of the world" from.
I don't understand where you got the "they want people who think they are better than the rest of the world" from.

This post is even called KPMG rejection and the only guy on here that's said that he's had any success and is going to an assessment centre has said it in a way that is nothing but disrespectful to the whole point of the thread. The tax sheltering schemes that KPMG are oh-so-famous for weren't (or aren't?) exactly being used by folk who want to do the best by their fellow man either. Therefore they need to hire consultants that are in the same mind set and thanks to Bloodbath's little outburst, it kind of looks like that's the direction that they're taking recruitment. Putting his own feelings above others isn't too far astride from putting his own needs above others is it?
Reply 33
This post is even called KPMG rejection and the only guy on here that's said that he's had any success and is going to an assessment centre has said it in a way that is nothing but disrespectful to the whole point of the thread. The tax sheltering schemes that KPMG are oh-so-famous for weren't (or aren't?) exactly being used by folk who want to do the best by their fellow man either. Therefore they need to hire consultants that are in the same mind set and thanks to Bloodbath's little outburst, it kind of looks like that's the direction that they're taking recruitment. Putting his own feelings above others isn't too far astride from putting his own needs above others is it?

Its like taking candy from babies........................I knew it would wind someone up. :biggrin:

The thing with large companies is that their recruitment procedure is predictable. Predictability is a weakness so use that to your advantage. .
Original post by Bloodbath
Its like taking candy from babies........................I knew it would wind someone up. :biggrin:

The thing with large companies is that their recruitment procedure is predictable. Predictability is a weakness so use that to your advantage. .

Not sure who you think that you're preaching to mate. I've had success myself, I'm just not about to rub it in peoples' faces on a thread like this. The application process might be predictable, but there's more to it than that- that's the point. All that they want to know is 'can you do the job?' and 'will you fit in?' You obviously will fit in at KPMG, Bloodbath, so all power to you. For those that weren't so successful, it's not unlikely that it's because you wouldn't have fit in- and trust me that's not a bad thing! So don't let it put you off. Not all of the big companies have the same attitude.
Oh, and thanks for proving my point Bloodbath! I couldn't have put it better myself. :smile:
Reply 36
Not sure who you think that you're preaching to mate. I've had success myself, I'm just not about to rub it in peoples' faces on a thread like this. The application process might be predictable, but there's more to it than that- that's the point. All that they want to know is 'can you do the job?' and 'will you fit in?' You obviously will fit in at KPMG, Bloodbath, so all power to you. For those that weren't so successful, it's not unlikely that it's because you wouldn't have fit in- and trust me that's not a bad thing! So don't let it put you off. Not all of the big companies have the same attitude.

Just think that for every person like you who applied there is probably one with 10A*'s at gcse and 5A's at a-level or something ridiculous and who went to oxbridge and has relevant work experience.

Actually 8A*s, 4As at A-level, Degree from Oxfordbridge and several internships. Through to the assessment centre:aetsch:

^^Blatant piss take.
No need for the "holier than thou" rants.

I wish TSRians had a sense of humour. Its important for resilience and that's a competency KPMG looks for btw

^ also a wind up. Ppls reading competency may be poor on here so just wanted to point that out.

^ also a wind up:biggrin:
Original post by Bloodbath
Just think that for every person like you who applied there is probably one with 10A*'s at gcse and 5A's at a-level or something ridiculous and who went to oxbridge and has relevant work experience.

^^Blatant piss take.
No need for the "holier than thou" rants.

I wish TSRians had a sense of humour. Its important for resilience and that's a competency KPMG looks for btw

^ also a wind up. Ppls reading competency may be poor on here so just wanted to point that out.

^ also a wind up:biggrin:

Not about to get into an argument with you Bloodbath. Like I said, best of luck with the assessment centre.
It is because you don't have A levels,and you have a IB which is equivalent, to A Levels. But unfortunately big companies like that want you to have A levels,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending