The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

A Week in the Life: LSE edition

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by member910132
Right, so if I genuinely enjoy maths and have got an A* in it and am expected to get an A* in FM but am not as good as those who have say applied to Cam/War and thus are good at STEP and so on will I still be able to cope with MA103 ?

You should easily be able to cope with it if you put in a little bit of work in my opinion. I didn't really do much work in terms of revision, just paid a bit of attention in lectures and classes and managed to get a low 2.1. (As a vague reference I got A* in Maths and FM A level, and scraped passes in STEP II and III)

It's quite heavily theory based...so there's quite a bit of definitions, theorems, proofs, etc to learn, but very manageable.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 241
Original post by member910132
Right, so if I genuinely enjoy maths and have got an A* in it and am expected to get an A* in FM but am not as good as those who have say applied to Cam/War and thus are good at STEP and so on will I still be able to cope with MA103 ?

You'll be absolutely fine for MA103. Lots of my friends who did MA103 just did bogstandard Further Maths and that was it.

And of course, remember to panic about EC102! :smile:
Reply 242
Original post by Brantonli
You'll be absolutely fine for MA103. Lots of my friends who did MA103 just did bogstandard Further Maths and that was it.

And of course, remember to panic about EC102! :smile:

Why, how difficult is EC102?
Reply 243
Original post by uttamo
Why, how difficult is EC102?

it used to be ridiculously hard apparently, they've changed it now cos the guy who did it left, its nothing to worry about anymore
Reply 244
Hate the uni. Didn't even bother integrating/getting to know people as most of my friends go to local universities anyway and everyone here is awkward, fake or international.

An average day for me would be to wake up at 8.00 AM and get to Hatton Cross station by 9.00 AM. Once the train arrives I will have to stand for 50 minutes until I reach to Holborn because rush hour (as you will find out if you live at home) ****s you in the arse.

Go to whichever lecture I have without trying to fall asleep, since all the lecturers here are dull as **** and only interested in their personal research.

Now its noon-ish. Time to go to the library and print off the reading.

Seems easy, right?

WRONG.

As I walk into our beloved London School of Economics library I am confronted with a stampede of international students, rushing to get their grubby little hands on any computer that seems to be working.

I attempt to go to the ground floor and in the process pull a hamstring because the designer of the stairs in our library was none other than ****ing Gok Wan himself.

1 o clock now, and I'm at the ground floor. I dare any of you ****ers to try and get a computer during this time.

I walk, walk and walk until I see some fatty fatty boom boom with his arse crack showing on a spare computer with his Macbook on the table and his EC101 textbook out.

I say **** this and go home.

Sums up LSE in a nutshell I guess.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 245
Original post by Nwakaeme
Hate the uni. Didn't even bother integrating/getting to know people as most of my friends go to local universities anyway and everyone here is awkward, fake or international.

As I walk into our beloved London School of Economics library I am confronted with a stampede of international students, rushing to get their grubby little hands on any computer that seems to be working.

This level of animosity towards international students is really concerning. This seems to border in racism, even. Is this type of home student vs international student hatred a typical situation in LSE? In UK universities in general?
Reply 246
Original post by zettel
This level of animosity towards international students is really concerning. This seems to border in racism, even. Is this type of home student vs international student hatred a typical situation in LSE? In UK universities in general?

No, everyone here is actually really friendly as long as you're friendly yourself. You rarely, rarely ever see people like the person you've quoted.

Internationals tend to stick with internationals, that's usually the case; though there are some exceptions to this of course.
Reply 247
Original post by zettel

Its not animosity towards international students. Its more to the fact that typical British students see university as a place to have fun, meet people, go out etc as well as studying whereas Asian international students that have schooled in Asia tend to be a lot more studious and stick to their own.

Its just a case of different cultures really
This is footage of an LSE social event organised by the Athletics Union (AU): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO2Nc16nGrs
Original post by zettel

I was born in China, and I gotta say, it seems like international students that don't adapt to British culture can be really annoying. Or at least, one finds it difficult to sympathise
Reply 250
Original post by User3
Its not animosity towards international students. Its more to the fact that typical British students see university as a place to have fun, meet people, go out etc as well as studying whereas Asian international students that have schooled in Asia tend to be a lot more studious and stick to their own.

To be fair, I've come across plenty of domestic students at LSE who are like this. Nearly all of my friends who I actually enjoy going out with are not from LSE. It's impossible to find anyone at this uni who would be willing to go to somewhere like Fabric or Cable. Most people at LSE think they're above that. Socially, LSE doesn't feel like a university to me. It feels like a workplace, and if you don't quickly adapt to the LSE 'culture' then they think there's something wrong with you.
Original post by haroldcraston
This is footage of an LSE social event organised by the Athletics Union (AU): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO2Nc16nGrs

Interesting. Cheers for this pal!

[QUOTE]To be fair, I've come across plenty of domestic students at LSE who are like this. Nearly all of my friends who I actually enjoy going out with are not from LSE. It's impossible to find anyone at this uni who would be willing to go to somewhere like Fabric or Cable. Most people at LSE think they're above that. Socially, LSE doesn't feel like a university to me. It feels like a workplace, and if you don't quickly adapt to the LSE 'culture' then they think there's something wrong with you.
[/QUOTE

I really haven't found there's much of a divide between British and international students, or that all LSE students are work focused and don't have a social life. Most of my friends who are on my course are both international and sociable, and most of the people I know are pretty sociable (I think I went to Fabric once with some LSE people but clubbing's not really my thing anyway). I think it varies depending on what course you're on and possibly what hall you live in.
and possibly what hall you live in.

This is why I choose roseberry, apparently it's the most outgoing hall and it's closest to fabric :wink:
What's the most outgoing hall?
I agree with some of the library problems the above poster has ranted about. But regarding student make-up: international students account for roughly 80%, UK for 20% (that is unprecedented in this country). I love the international atmosphere and everyone is super super friendly. Sure, LSE attracts very studious and smart people and you'll sometimes struggle to get people to leave the library but overall I'd say the British students are more likely to isolate themselves (particularly if they live at home).
Hi! Would anyone know how the lower ground floor rooms in Lilian Knowles are? What do they mean by limited view? Also, how is Lilian Knowles as a hall overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rosebery or Saunders
Reply 258
Original post by ChangeOurWorld

And Bankside, it's the largest + having its own bar and catering are good incentives for being social.
Hello everyone, I am a undergra student planning to apply for a postgraduate school. I think three of the lecturers are willing to write reference for me, who are my temporary personal tutor, my dissertation tutor and a teaching fellow who will be working in Oxbridge in November. Most unis normally require two references. My temporary personal tutor was my lecturer one year ago, and he just became my personal tutor since the original personal tutor went away to some other country. My dissertation is a senior lecturer. The teaching fellow is very nice and he will not be working in Oxbridge till October or November. Who should I ask reference for?Would be much appreciated if you could provide any hints.

Quick Reply

Latest