The Student Room Group

2.2 in BSc Biomedical Science - What jobs to do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mda07mb
Hi,

I graduated from a non-accredited University in Biomedical Sceinces 2 years ago.I rememeber feeling devestated by my grade however I pushed myself to apply for as many jobs as possible that summer. It paid off, because I became employed by September (3 months after).

My employer is an IVRs company i.e. a sort of service provider for clinical trials. My role is "project coordinator".

I know what it's like once you've graduated, you don't know about the various jobs which are out there (I certainly didnt know about my job/business whilst I was studying). My advice is to speak to other people in a similar position to you with jobs. See if your friends could refer you, provide your CV to a recuitment agency, ask your parents for help?

Unfortunately due to today's economic climate, us graduates have to start out doing whatever. Then as you gain more experience, you'll find out more about what you like and you'll be more appealing to prospective employers with even an temporary admin/office job.

Rememeber, your degree is valuable and rock solid so yes a 2.2 is still impressive. Don't feel disheartened, you've done the hard bit (completing your degree) you've just got to boss it now ;-)

I hope OP is still about, because this is good advice!

Wallowing in self-pity is not going to be useful now. Pick yourself up and start applying for jobs. You are in control of your own future, nobody else. Nobody is going to randomly turn up at your door and offer you a job. So get out there and make it happen.
Original post by biomedboy
I studied Biomedical Science at a non-IBMS accredited university and obtained a 2.2 classification.

Oh dear!
I studied Biomedical Science at a non-IBMS accredited university and obtained a 2.2 classification. A non-IBMS course means I can't work in an NHS lab straight away, however I had no intention of doing this anyway. Last year I obtained a Masters of Public Health degree.

I was wondering if there are any other BMS graduates out there who obtained or know of someone who got a 2.2. What are you/they doing now? I know my chances at graduate schemes are unlikely, and therefore would be happy to do an entry level job or anything else.

Hi Im like you.Got a 2.2 and a Masters.Now I'm an MLA.Even though the job sucks royally,I earn 23k so can't really complain. I'm currently looking to move down to another department for less pay but more interesting with higher chances of progression. I also want to do a masters in public health as well.
Reply 23
I studied Biomedical Science at a non-IBMS accredited university and obtained a 2.2 classification. A non-IBMS course means I can't work in an NHS lab straight away, however I had no intention of doing this anyway. Last year I obtained a Masters of Public Health degree.

I was wondering if there are any other BMS graduates out there who obtained or know of someone who got a 2.2. What are you/they doing now? I know my chances at graduate schemes are unlikely, and therefore would be happy to do an entry level job or anything else.

Original post by DuperSry
I got a 2.2 in Biomedical Science. It would be nice to hear from other 2.2 BSc Biomedical Science degree holders and find out what other people did with it.

Hey
Any progress? Did you find a job as a BMS or anything else if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 24
I'm so confused with this thread..
Is OP worried that he got a 2.2 classification and employers would not accept that or is it just that he's worried that there aren't many options available with a Biomed degree? :s-smilie:
Reply 25
Well you have various options:

Master - This will make you more employable and afterwards can apply to graduate schemes.

Job - Get a normal job and work your way up the ladder

Work Experience - Get some experience under your belt, this is likely to be the most important aspect a employer looks at.

Start A Business - Self Explanatory really, but you need some start up money

Get a job abroad - Such as in China, maybe teaching English or Science at a English school?
Reply 26
Original post by Kutta
Well you have various options:

Master - This will make you more employable and afterwards can apply to graduate schemes.

Job - Get a normal job and work your way up the ladder

Work Experience - Get some experience under your belt, this is likely to be the most important aspect a employer looks at.

Start A Business - Self Explanatory really, but you need some start up money

Get a job abroad - Such as in China, maybe teaching English or Science at a English school?

Getting work experience for Biomedical science seems almost impossible though :redface:
Reply 27
@Biomedboy please do not be disheartened, because I am a Non- IBMS accredited biomedical science graduate and I got a miserable 3rd, there is nothing worse than that. I graduated in 2010 and ever since I have been in temp jobs at call centres or xmas jobs, not had a permanant job. I am thinking of going abroad to work i.e pakistan or India or somewhere however even there they want experience and good grades. Not sure what to do, I dont know what to be, i am confused I did the degree hoping to get into pharmacy but i got bad grades as I was very ill in my third year. All for the past four years I have been unwell and in and out of hospital and the doctors have said I am under a lot of stress and need to be happy, they have diagnosed me with interstital cystitis, which is a painful horrible condition i hope no one gets it.

I am still fighting to get a job or become something, my grades have affected my life i am on JSA and that is nothing and i dont even go out at all, probs meet my friends every 6- 8 months or not even that, everyone has become something and i feel like a failure but want to do a good job, dont want to go back to studies as i ahve tried to get into teaching and also another degree such as nursing but my UCAS points and degree grade is not enough to get on nursing. I got a CDD at Ucas and 3rd at degree. Dont be disheartened, my friend got into teaching even though she got a 2:2 in public health she now becoming a teacher.
Reply 28
This is a topic that makes me wonder why I studied Biomed in the first place. I have been a HCA, an MLA, a Healthcare Scientist and a HCA again. It is possible to get a job with a 2:2 (as I have) - I did a Masters as well so I guess it has helped (although in some cases I leave it off an application).

Be careful I have found that some of the senior lab staff have not been supportive in encouraging development as they see those with Biomed degrees w/ no lab exp as someone who has wasted their time completely.

U can get exp by volunteering - I know a hospital that takes volunteers too. Just put in some effort!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending