The Student Room Group

address on license/insurance

Just trying to settle a debate!!!!!!!

Does the address on your drivers license have to match the address that your car is insured from?

And also, is insuring a car from another address (ie a relative's address in order to get cheaper car insurance) actually illegal?

Thanks!
Reply 1
On my car insurance there is a statement about how I must reside at the address given and how I am the registered keeper of the car. It doesnt say anything about the license but you can actually get a fine if you have the incorrect address on your driving license.
Reply 2
About address on your insurance and licence matching - I don't know for definate, someone else probably will do though.

But....you are meant to give your insurance company the details of where your car will be most of the time. So if you are living at your relatives that would be the address you would give - but it would be illegal to give that address just to get cheaper insurance. You may be lucky and them not find out, but if they did it would most likely invalidate your insurance, which would really mess you up if you did have a claim. So for the amount you might save its really not worth the risk in my opinion!
Thanks.. need to find out for definite though.. need to prove someone wrong!!
Reply 4
I know the bit about insurance your car under a relatives address is definately illegal - its just the other bit I'm not sure about.
Don't need to match licence and insurance, do need to match insurance with where the car is kept.
Reply 6
Reitterate Pauls post.
Thanks! I thought so!!
Reply 8
More importantly, it is possible to give your address as a different location to where the car is stored, but if you come to make a claim, at best, your payout could be severely reduced, at worst you cover could become null and void.
Reply 9
You can get a fine of up to £1000 for having an incorrect address on your licence, however I don't think that's likely, I would imagine if you got pulled over and the fuzz noticed, they're probably just say "Get this changed son!"

The address you give your insurance company is the address where your car is supposed to be kept the majority of the time (not sure what entails, five days out of seven or the like?). The long and short of it is that if you make a claim and they find out that the supplied address is incorrect, they might not pay out and could invalidate your policy. I understand why a lot of people do it, but if you do have a different address down, you should really get it changed to be on the safe side.
Reply 10
The address your car is stored and the address the insurance company send your paperwork may be different. However, the will need to be advised.
They just need to know where the car will be kept. Where you choose to have your mail delivered is up to you.
Ok, the argument was the following:

Friend said that to get cheaper insurance, he would insure the car from his aunt's address (outer London, as opposed to central, approx. £400 cheaper), but would then have to change the address on his license to the same address.

I said that it was illegal anyway and that his insurance would be null and void, as obviously the car would be insured for Kent but be driven in London permanently, and that it didn't matter whether the license was the same as the insurance, but that the address the insurance were given had to be where the car was kept. He said that it was illegal to have a driving license in one address when your car was stored/insured from another.

He wouldn't believe me when I told him this was rubbish, as what about people with licenses but no car etc, but no, I had to get my point backed up before he'd accept I was right.

Thanks anyway!
Reply 12
I don't know if i'm breaking any laws doing this but my passport and license have one address, my mums and most safe place for vital documentation to be sent, also the place i intend to put as my address when going to uni, However! i do not currently live at this address i live in a flat with a shared address with 3 other properties. This is where my car is kept and the insurance i ahve supports this. Also, moving out in July so thought keeping my mums and old home address would be the wisest thing to do... no??
Reply 13
Original post by prettyblueeyes
Ok, the argument was the following:

Friend said that to get cheaper insurance, he would insure the car from his aunt's address (outer London, as opposed to central, approx. £400 cheaper), but would then have to change the address on his license to the same address.

I said that it was illegal anyway and that his insurance would be null and void, as obviously the car would be insured for Kent but be driven in London permanently, and that it didn't matter whether the license was the same as the insurance, but that the address the insurance were given had to be where the car was kept. He said that it was illegal to have a driving license in one address when your car was stored/insured from another.

He wouldn't believe me when I told him this was rubbish, as what about people with licenses but no car etc, but no, I had to get my point backed up before he'd accept I was right.

Thanks anyway!

Im getting a car next week and my insurance is £1500 cheaper if i say i live out of london (mothers house). i understand that if i need to make a claim this would put me in a sticky situation but lets say i dont need to make any claims, will they find out when i buy the insurance ?
or if they ask me to send them my counterpart, and they see a different address on there will they void my insurance ?
and lastly can i blag it and say i JUST moved back in with mom and dad and hvnt changed my license over yet ?
Original post by kookabura
About address on your insurance and licence matching - I don't know for definate, someone else probably will do though.

But....you are meant to give your insurance company the details of where your car will be most of the time. So if you are living at your relatives that would be the address you would give - but it would be illegal to give that address just to get cheaper insurance. You may be lucky and them not find out, but if they did it would most likely invalidate your insurance, which would really mess you up if you did have a claim. So for the amount you might save its really not worth the risk in my opinion!

Exactly this.
Plus the fact that if the company invalidates the policy, then you will have trouble getting car insurance in future If people will insure you the cost is likely to be sky high. Insurance companies have ways and means of finding things out and will try anything to get out of paying in the event of a claim. So i wouldnt risk it.
Reply 15
Car insurance help please!
My home address is in London, my driving license and insurance are registered to my home address.
I currently am at Uni, and say with my boyfriend for the time I am there, and at home Mon/Tues/Weds when I work.
So I am at home Monday night, Tuesday night & Wednesday night but generally at my boyfriends outside London on Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday night & Sunday night.
I don’t really want to change my driving license over, but should I notify my insurance company about this when applying for my insurance? As really the car is not at my home address more than half the time….
HOW WILL THEY FIND OUT IF YOUR NOT LIVING AT THE ADDRESS YOU HAVE GIVEN?

Seriously someone tell me how? Are they going to come to your house and look to see if you have one of the rooms lmao....

Only way of them finding out is if someone tells them and they investigate. Or you tell them yourself.

Quick Reply