The Student Room Group

Best University for Media/Film/Journalism

Hello :smile:
I'm currently an AS student studying English Literature, Media Studies, and Film studies at a sixth form in Cambridgeshire. Providing I pass all three at the end of this year I shall carry on with these as my A Levels then hopefully go to uni.
I just wondered what opinions you guys have of the following universities?
Nottingham
London College of Communication
Anglia Ruskin
Bath Spa
Exeter
Lincoln
These are the universities I am going to look at this year but I was just wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit about them (such as nightlife, transportation, accommodation etc.) Also, information on courses to do with Media/Film/Journalism/Sociology at these universities would be great too.
If there's any others you think I should consider then please let me know!
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
I went to an open day at Lincoln for Media Production. They had great facilities, most accommodation was within a 10 minute walk. However I didn't like the breeze blocks they had in the bedrooms in the accommodation I saw. I did apply for the course but I turned it down for Bournemouth TV Production. Main reason being that Lincoln kept putting themselves down, advertising more of Bournemouth and Birmingham. Also from most of the people who I have spoken to about Lincoln, it doesn't have a good reputation.
Reply 2
Original post by KBradders
I went to an open day at Lincoln for Media Production. They had great facilities, most accommodation was within a 10 minute walk. However I didn't like the breeze blocks they had in the bedrooms in the accommodation I saw. I did apply for the course but I turned it down for Bournemouth TV Production. Main reason being that Lincoln kept putting themselves down, advertising more of Bournemouth and Birmingham. Also from most of the people who I have spoken to about Lincoln, it doesn't have a good reputation.

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it :smile:
I'm looking at their Journalism course and also their Media Production course so this was really helpful. How did they keep putting themselves down? Lincoln city is beautiful and only and hour and a half away from my current location hence I was considering it. However, I think I'm going to do a lot more research into its reputation and student satisfaction now.
Thanks again.
Reply 3
Original post by kiraalouisee
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it :smile:
I'm looking at their Journalism course and also their Media Production course so this was really helpful. How did they keep putting themselves down? Lincoln city is beautiful and only and hour and a half away from my current location hence I was considering it. However, I think I'm going to do a lot more research into its reputation and student satisfaction now.
Thanks again.

They just kept on talking about how good Bournemouth and Birmingham are, which I found really weird since you're supposed to sell your own university. Even the students were talking about Bournemouth. On the other hand, the students were enthusiastic and willing to chat to us in detail about the course, more than any of the other universities I visited. The student satisfaction is supposed to be alright for Lincoln, but I wouldn't completely rely on that. Like most other universities, there are students who didn't turn up and couldn't be bothered to do the course. The Media Production course is not Skillset accredited, Skillset is a sign of quality course that prepares you for the industry. In comparison to other universities I saw, it wasn't the best but was far from the worst. The worst universities I visited were Hertfordshire (Film & Television Production) and Salford (TV & Radio Production). Hertfordshire just had snobby tutors that could only boast about themselves, and Salford's students hadn't a clue what they'd been doing on the course. The student work from both of those universities were more of a college standard.

Lincoln is still worth having a look at, but the university didn't cut it for me. It only got put on my application as a 5th choice. It's an easy course to get on, it seems that all applicants get an offer. On the other hand I got a good feeling about Ravensbourne for Digital Film Production until I went for my interview, where it felt like a snobby atmosphere. I was happy to be rejected in the end, because I probably would have firmed it because of the location. I guess you have visit a place more than once to ensure it is the right place for you.

Out of your choices, Exeter stands out for me.
Reply 4
They just kept on talking about how good Bournemouth and Birmingham are, which I found really weird since you're supposed to sell your own university. Even the students were talking about Bournemouth. On the other hand, the students were enthusiastic and willing to chat to us in detail about the course, more than any of the other universities I visited. The student satisfaction is supposed to be alright for Lincoln, but I wouldn't completely rely on that. Like most other universities, there are students who didn't turn up and couldn't be bothered to do the course. The Media Production course is not Skillset accredited, Skillset is a sign of quality course that prepares you for the industry. In comparison to other universities I saw, it wasn't the best but was far from the worst. The worst universities I visited were Hertfordshire (Film & Television Production) and Salford (TV & Radio Production). Hertfordshire just had snobby tutors that could only boast about themselves, and Salford's students hadn't a clue what they'd been doing on the course. The student work from both of those universities were more of a college standard.

Lincoln is still worth having a look at, but the university didn't cut it for me. It only got put on my application as a 5th choice. It's an easy course to get on, it seems that all applicants get an offer. On the other hand I got a good feeling about Ravensbourne for Digital Film Production until I went for my interview, where it felt like a snobby atmosphere. I was happy to be rejected in the end, because I probably would have firmed it because of the location. I guess you have visit a place more than once to ensure it is the right place for you.

Out of your choices, Exeter stands out for me.

Thank you once again!
This has been really informative. I'm going to look at Exeter on the 10th of June however the only thing putting me off is how far away it is from my family! I have anxiety and I'm afraid if I go too far away it's going to be hard to visit home. I love the look of Exeter though, the rooms are huge too which would be good if someone came to stay with me. I will take your advice and visit the ones I like a second time and make sure I look around the city centre etc.
It's strange how Lincoln were putting themselves down, I wouldn't expect that from a University. I'm leaning more towards Lincoln's Journalism course which has been credited for excellence. It seems that each University has completely different courses I'm interested in! I think having a look around will benefit me.
As for Birmingham and Bournemouth; I don't particularly like Birmingham on a whole however I'm going to look up Bournemouth now to see if any of the courses take my fancy :smile:
Thank you for all your help
Reply 5
Original post by kiraalouisee
Thank you once again!
This has been really informative. I'm going to look at Exeter on the 10th of June however the only thing putting me off is how far away it is from my family! I have anxiety and I'm afraid if I go too far away it's going to be hard to visit home. I love the look of Exeter though, the rooms are huge too which would be good if someone came to stay with me. I will take your advice and visit the ones I like a second time and make sure I look around the city centre etc.
It's strange how Lincoln were putting themselves down, I wouldn't expect that from a University. I'm leaning more towards Lincoln's Journalism course which has been credited for excellence. It seems that each University has completely different courses I'm interested in! I think having a look around will benefit me.
As for Birmingham and Bournemouth; I don't particularly like Birmingham on a whole however I'm going to look up Bournemouth now to see if any of the courses take my fancy :smile:
Thank you for all your help

It's alright, no probs.

Well when I go Bournemouth, I'll be living over 250 miles away from home. I have a heart condition, but I'm having surgery soon to hopefully fix that. Anxiety is not nice at all, but hopefully you could overcome that so you don't have to worry over which university you choose. I didn't fancy Birmingham either, I don't like the city. I initially looked at Falmouth, but was put off by the 8 hour train ride! Certainly have a look around all universities you're considering, I would have applied to Hertfordshire and Salford if I didn't visit them, and that would have been a HUGE mistake.

I wish you all the best in the quest for your perfect university course.
Reply 6
It's alright, no probs.

Well when I go Bournemouth, I'll be living over 250 miles away from home. I have a heart condition, but I'm having surgery soon to hopefully fix that. Anxiety is not nice at all, but hopefully you could overcome that so you don't have to worry over which university you choose. I didn't fancy Birmingham either, I don't like the city. I initially looked at Falmouth, but was put off by the 8 hour train ride! Certainly have a look around all universities you're considering, I would have applied to Hertfordshire and Salford if I didn't visit them, and that would have been a HUGE mistake.

I wish you all the best in the quest for your perfect university course.

Woah! I'm not sure if I have the confidence to go anywhere near that far away from home, that's why I'm a bit wary of the universities which aren't close to home! I will make sure I have a look at all of them, and I won't apply to any I even slightly dislike. I'd rather wait a year and up my UCAS points/grades and re-apply to those I love!
Good luck with Bournemouth & the future, and once again thank you for all your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest