The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical school Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KitKat123
I dont think thats right - they take your top 9 so you wouldn't lose out for your B!

Top 10 mate
Does anyone know how the breakdown of applicants from previous year's entry: how many Scottish, rest of uk and eu applicants there were?

Also does anyone actually know if u have better chances of getting an offer if ur Scottish rather than RoUK
Original post by _whatamidoing_
Does anyone know how the breakdown of applicants from previous year's entry: how many Scottish, rest of uk and eu applicants there were?

Also does anyone actually know if u have better chances of getting an offer if ur Scottish rather than RoUK

All I know is that Scottish peeps arent in competition with RoUK peeps :smile:

I think its something like just over 100 places for Scottish and rest of EU and then 90 ish for English/RoUK

(someone correct me if Im wrong, im trying to remember from the open day in september :tongue:)!
Original post by Apologetic Cube
647.5 is third quartile :laugh:? That's f***ing mental...
It would've easily been first quartile a couple of years ago.

725 will be 2nd quartile right (please)?
Original post by Apologetic Cube
647.5 is third quartile :laugh:? That's f***ing mental...
It would've easily been first quartile a couple of years ago.

He got 692.5 - which was the cut-off for first quartile last year and is now a third quartile score :/
Reply 1025
Original post by Dr. Django
All I know is that Scottish peeps arent in competition with RoUK peeps :smile:

I think its something like just over 100 places for Scottish and rest of EU and then 90 ish for English/RoUK

(someone correct me if Im wrong, im trying to remember from the open day in september :tongue:)!

Close, I think it's 80 odd places for RoUK applicants. I have no idea on the breakdown of applicants between Scottish and RoUK, but I do know that Scottish applicants have got in with worse academic profiles than RoUK candidates in recent years.

Having applied last year I believe only a perfect academic score and a damn near perfect PS score will get a RoUK applicant an offer, and it gets harder every year.
Original post by HCubed
Close, I think it's 80 odd places for RoUK applicants. I have no idea on the breakdown of applicants between Scottish and RoUK, but I do know that Scottish applicants have got in with worse academic profiles than RoUK candidates in recent years.

Having applied last year I believe only a perfect academic score and a damn near perfect PS score will get a RoUK applicant an offer, and it gets harder every year.

Original post by HCubed

Surely there won't be too much negative bias on RoUK applicants though, as is it not true that Scottish applicants don't pay tuition fees to Scottish universities? Therefore, they make more money out of RoUK? Or do they get the money from Scottish government anyway, so this is another of the Scotland/England divide things?
Original post by Student 1
Surely there won't be too much negative bias on RoUK applicants though, as is it not true that Scottish applicants don't pay tuition fees to Scottish universities? Therefore, they make more money out of RoUK? Or do they get the money from Scottish government anyway, so this is another of the Scotland/England divide things?

The Scottish government pays for Scottish/EU students, but only a certain number of places (around 110 I think). So effectively there is a quota for Scottish/EU students, and the rest of the home places are for rUK (around 80).

So they have two rankings - that is you guys don't compete with Scot/EU applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,
I posted last week that I had been rejected. I requested feedback and got it today. Turns out there was an error in processing my application and that led to me being rejected, the error has been fixed and turns out I'M NOT REJECTED!!!! :O So I'm back in consideration.

What the hell!? Serious mixture of emotions over here....

best of luck all!
Reply 1030
Original post by jimmymacmog
Hi guys,
I posted last week that I had been rejected. I requested feedback and got it today. Turns out there was an error in processing my application and that led to me being rejected, the error has been fixed and turns out I'M NOT REJECTED!!!! :O So I'm back in consideration.

What the hell!? Serious mixture of emotions over here....

best of luck all!

Hey, good for you!
Tell me please, how did you spot the error? My feedback is laconic really, does not clarify anything.
Original post by Blayenne
Hey, good for you!
Tell me please, how did you spot the error? My feedback is laconic really, does not clarify anything.

I didn't spot it, when I asked for feedback they looked back at my application and realised I had not been credited enough academic points :smile:
Original post by Asklepios
He got 692.5 - which was the cut-off for first quartile last year and is now a third quartile score :/

Are you sure third quartile is second bottom? Someone posted earlier in this thread about last year's quartiles and used Lower, Second, Third and Upper - I don't know if those names were from Edinburgh though.
Original post by Medic applicant
Are you sure third quartile is second bottom? Someone posted earlier in this thread about last year's quartiles and used Lower, Second, Third and Upper - I don't know if those names were from Edinburgh though.

From here (page 14), they use top, second, third and fourth
Reply 1034
Does anyone know how many rejections have gone out so far? When will that dreadful wave of rejections be sent out?
Original post by ns1995
Does anyone know how many rejections have gone out so far? When will that dreadful wave of rejections be sent out?

I don't think anyone knows for sure! Best you can do is try to stop thinking about it and concentrate on something else!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My gcses are 9 A*s and an A, also three Bs. What position would that leave me in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Caitprosser
My gcses are 9 A*s and an A, also three Bs. What position would that leave me in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd get full marks as they only look at top 10 :smile: (unless your b's are in science/English/maths)
Original post by Dr. Django
You'd get full marks as they only look at top 10 :smile: (unless your b's are in science/English/maths)

Not full marks, 4/5 surely as not all A*s? Unless, (hopefully) I'm wrong and have calculated my score wrong ?? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student 1
Not full marks, 4/5 surely as not all A*s? Unless, (hopefully) I'm wrong and have calculated my score wrong ?? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You 'only' need 8 A* 2 A for full gcse score :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending