The Student Room Group

CRB Check - Has anyone had problems with a caution?

Scroll to see replies

My specific problem:

Getting an enhanced DBS. It showed in 2012 but dont know if it still will. It was for theft-shoplifting lipgloss and received a reprimand at 13 years of age (now 23 years old). Been told by police and DBS customer service this will be filtered and not show but i dont trust them since they told me this would be removed once I was 18!
Hi,

I was cautioned in 2007 for common assault under criminal justice act section 39 for chucking bottled still water at an ex partner trying to defend myself. I am aware that there is a filtering scheme an its been 6 years exactly since the offence.

I was looking at the DBS website for filtering guidelines and I wanted confirmation from you regarding if this caution is eligible to be filtered as I am studying.on the DBS website its a bit confusing because the Criminal justice act section 39 is not on there instead offence against persons act section 42 is.
I was cautioned in 2007 for common assault under criminal justice act section 39 for unintentionally chucking bottled still water at an ex partner attacked me . I am aware that there is a filtering scheme an its been 6 years exactly since the offence.

I was looking at the DBS website for filtering guidelines and I wanted confirmation from you regarding if this caution is eligible to be filtered as I am studying.on the DBS website its a bit confusing because the Criminal justice act section 39 is not on there instead offence against persons act section 42 is.
can someone please reply to me.
Hello all,
My advice is to call the DBS. Not sure what the tel no. is but I spoke to them and they told me 100% that I did not have to declare my caution as it would not come up on any checks anymore. Therefore, I/you do/should not have to declare or worry about it anymore if it was over 5 yrs ago. Thank God as I will be applying for a change of jobs in March/April.
I wish all of you the very best for 2014 and for those of you like me who were either silly, unlucky or whatever back in our youth and have had to face questions about it in your careers.
My advice for those of you who wrre cautioned less than 5 yrs ago is to be honest on the form and if they ask about it just explain what happened, it was a one off etc. I know it sounds easy but they will find out eventually and then you really are in the you know what!
David
Reply 45
Hi David,

I have a caution (shoplifting) and I am a nurse. I have been told that my caution will be off after 6 years by dbs people and it will never show up on my dbs after 6 years. However, I have been told again that it will never be taken off until I am 99yeras or if I die (whatever comes first).
Is my life over. It was a misunderstanding but nobody believed me hence was cautioned.
Worried
nursemummy
Reply 46
Dear David, I recently accepted a police caution and was told it would be deleted after five years by the police sergeant. I called the station to confirm this and received a message on my mobile phone stating that that it would not be deleted but I would not have to declare it after five years. Why are the police so inaccurate and could I have possibly been administered a caution inappropriately because of this.
Reply 47
Hi David, I am a social worker and got a caution 4 years ago. Haven't been able to work since uni. Does this mean that after 6 years, the caution will be totally deleted from my CRB/ DBS? OR it WILL still show up as I work with children? was shoplifting
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
I am very mad at our justice system.. How can a caution cause so much heartache and destroy families' lives.ITs so unfair
Reply 49
Can anyone confirm if a youth caution will show on a dbs check? Or if this is classed as a conviction?
I accepted a youth caution for possession of can***s last July. I am leaving sixth form this summer and an apprenticeship that I was considering applying for requires you to disclose spent and unspent convictions. I'm having 2nd thoughts now on applying as I know they will probably discount me due to this.
I am remorseful and have never touched it since and feel ashamed due to the anguish it has caused my parents. I truly have learnt my lesson.
Any advise gratefully received.
Original post by JustJustice
Hi David,

Please can you help me....
Ok I'm sooo confused and it is driving me crazy. Everyone seems to be saying different things! Please can someone who has actually had an enhanced DBS check after June 2013 tell me if a reprimand which meets the criteria to be filtered (happened more than 5.5 years ago for shoplifting lip gloss) will not show on the certificate so o can stop living my life in fear. I am now a pharmacist and have been offered a job by an NHS hospital but need to know if I should come clean or don't need to say anything??!!!

People say honesty is the best policy but I don't think so. This is because on applications i declare it, I don't get an interview and when I don't then I do get an interview! I've also heard of people declaring it and then the job offer being withdrawn. I feel like it is a lose lose situation (if I disclose it straight away, employers just pick another applicant with no record, If I don't then they can say they think I'm dishonest...such a corrupt system!). Please help. What is the best thing to do?

Sorry for the delay as I have not been well a reprimand the shoplifting should be filtered off now and does not need disclosing and almost certainly will not come on.it is theoretically possible but highly unlikely that the police will put it on as enhanced disclosure, but not as a reprimand itself most unlikely following the recent changes but if you did get in any other problems they could refer back to this, incident if they do the certificate comes to your 1st and there is an appeals procedure so I wouldn't worry

Regards

David Wacks
Original post by Faymu
Hi David,

I have a caution (shoplifting) and I am a nurse. I have been told that my caution will be off after 6 years by dbs people and it will never show up on my dbs after 6 years. However, I have been told again that it will never be taken off until I am 99yeras or if I die (whatever comes first).
Is my life over. It was a misunderstanding but nobody believed me hence was cautioned.
Worried
nursemummy

After 6 years. It is filtered off and you do not need to disclose it, and it will not come on as a caution theoretically the police could put this on as enhanced disclosure at the bottom, but most unlikely unless you have some other problem with them if they do put it on you can appeal against it before it is disclosed to my your employer so don't worry

Regards

David Wacks
Original post by JustJustice
My specific problem:

Getting an enhanced DBS. It showed in 2012 but dont know if it still will. It was for theft-shoplifting lipgloss and received a reprimand at 13 years of age (now 23 years old). Been told by police and DBS customer service this will be filtered and not show but i dont trust them since they told me this would be removed once I was 18!

As mentioned, is another enquiries this does not need disclosing and will be filtered off theoretically they could put it as enhanced, but most unlikely and you can appeal it before it is disclosed to your employers

One matter I would mention to people is that even when things of filtered off, it is still on your police national computer records, but it is possible to apply even years later for cautions, and reprimands to be removed from your records because they could affect you if you say apply to join the police or security forces yourself but more likely may need disclosing on some applications for visas.all the best

David Wacks
Reply 53
Original post by cathiehullah
Hi I have recently started a degree course in Social Work and I admitted a caution i accepted over 2 years ago for slapping my then, 14 year old son, after a great deal of provocation - I admitted my mistake and submitted a full explanation of the caution on 3 seperate occasions through the admission process. I am now 3 weeks into my course and I have been told I may lose my place on the course because I may not be able to secure a placement in my 2nd and 3rd year of study! I am at a loss to know where to turn - I had a feeling it would be an issue, which is why i was so adamant to declare the details of the caution and explain it as honestly as I could. If anyone has any advice or experience to offer me on this I would be so grateful - I am a mature student and my future is on the line here - my whole life is now geared up around my degree and struggling to learn and absorb everything I need to be studying until my fate is revealed :s-smilie:

Tbh that's not even that big of a deal...
Original post by lboromapj
Dear David, I recently accepted a police caution and was told it would be deleted after five years by the police sergeant. I called the station to confirm this and received a message on my mobile phone stating that that it would not be deleted but I would not have to declare it after five years. Why are the police so inaccurate and could I have possibly been administered a caution inappropriately because of this.

The rules about the giving of cautions have been very vague and changed a number of times even the police and solicitors get confused the new rule is that they are filtered off after 6 years and do not then the disclosure, but only if they are not one of the offences considered more serious.common-law assault's is filtered, but section 47 assault is not.possession of most drugs is filtered off, but if you gave a spliff to a friend got done for supply it would not and you would need to specifically apply for that to be removed if I am told the exact offence. I can advise if it is filtered off or not

Regards

David Wacks
Original post by Norest
Hi David, I am a social worker and got a caution 4 years ago. Haven't been able to work since uni. Does this mean that after 6 years, the caution will be totally deleted from my CRB/ DBS? OR it WILL still show up as I work with children? was shoplifting

Shoplifting will be filtered off after 6 years you do not need to disclose its and it will not come up as a caution on the certificate theoretically it can be put as enhanced disclosure, but most unlikely and if it does it can be appealed before it is disclosed to employer
it is still on the records and so if you apply for a visa to some countries, you may need to disclose this it can slow you down but is not necessarily going to stop it give yourself at least 6 months to apply it is possible for you to apply for a caution to be completely removed so you do not have the visa problems regards

David Wacks
Original post by Faymu
Hi David,

Worried
nursemummy

Shoplifting is filtered off after 6 years, so don't worry

Regards, David
Original post by Holiday123
Can anyone confirm if a youth caution will show on a dbs check? Or if this is classed as a conviction?
I accepted a youth caution for possession of can***s last July. I am leaving sixth form this summer and an apprenticeship that I was considering applying for requires you to disclose spent and unspent convictions. I'm having 2nd thoughts now on applying as I know they will probably discount me due to this.
I am remorseful and have never touched it since and feel ashamed due to the anguish it has caused my parents. I truly have learnt my lesson.
Any advise gratefully received.

It will be filtered off after 2 years technically you should disclose this application for visas, say to the US and you can apply visa waiver give yourself 6 months or you can apply the reprimand to be removed altogether no guarantees buts, it has been done. Regards, David Wacks
Original post by Norest

It should be filtered off after 6 years even in working with children

Regards, David Wacks
must simple cautions for shoplifting be declared when applying for bar licences?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending