The Student Room Group

NGDP

Scroll to see replies

I'm on the Birmingham afternoon session - yeah mine says 1.30pm too, so slightly concerned as well. Will probably also aim for 12.30pm.
CP1705 - I applied for this last year and got to this stage - there really isn't anything you can do to prepare. Just try not to run out of time majorly like I did last year (spent to long reading the material, not enough time writing). I don't remember the numerical bit being to complex (and I hate maths too), and there isn't that much time for lots of calculations anyway.

On the link for directions, it says there is a free shuttle bus from Birmingham Int station, anyone know about this?... Or do people fancy clubbing together to get a taxi to the hotel (since £8 is kind of expensive!).

good luck!

xx
Original post by rebecca1777
I'm on the Birmingham afternoon session - yeah mine says 1.30pm too, so slightly concerned as well. Will probably also aim for 12.30pm.
CP1705 - I applied for this last year and got to this stage - there really isn't anything you can do to prepare. Just try not to run out of time majorly like I did last year (spent to long reading the material, not enough time writing). I don't remember the numerical bit being to complex (and I hate maths too), and there isn't that much time for lots of calculations anyway.

On the link for directions, it says there is a free shuttle bus from Birmingham Int station, anyone know about this?... Or do people fancy clubbing together to get a taxi to the hotel (since £8 is kind of expensive!).

good luck!

xx

Having used the West Coast Mainline a lot traveling through Birmingham I am pretty sure that Birmingham Int. station is the airport one. So I'd assume they are expecting people to arrive by train. Though I could be way out on that. What I would say is if you use traveline.info with postcodes it should help, but I have always found it to be a bit clunky for want of a better term.

Hope that helps to some extent :smile:
Reply 882
On the link for directions, it says there is a free shuttle bus from Birmingham Int station, anyone know about this?

I was wondering that too so I gave the hotel a call and they said that the shuttle runs each hour between 11 and 1. I think there might also be a bus you can get, although I just got a copy of the travel expenses form and it doesn't say anything about not being able to claim back for taxi journeys.

Timmy, the station looks like it could be a long walk from the venue so getting to the station by train is ok, it's the next bit that's the problem.

Does anyone know what sort of dress code the assessment centre will be? I don't know how smart it will be considering it's only a written exercise.
Original post by emma_567
I was wondering that too so I gave the hotel a call and they said that the shuttle runs each hour between 11 and 1. I think there might also be a bus you can get, although I just got a copy of the travel expenses form and it doesn't say anything about not being able to claim back for taxi journeys.

Timmy, the station looks like it could be a long walk from the venue so getting to the station by train is ok, it's the next bit that's the problem.

Does anyone know what sort of dress code the assessment centre will be? I don't know how smart it will be considering it's only a written exercise.

Oh okay, I guess I'll aim to get to the station just before 12 then, if the shuttle runs every hour, and seeing as registration opens 45 mins before. I'll probably get a bus/taxi back if the shuttle only runs till 1. Yes, hopefully we can claim taxi fairs back- never had a receipt from a taxi though so I don't know if that would work.

Well, from last year there were some people dressed smart, and some dressed more casual. So its up to you. I personally wouldn't feel right not going smart.

xx
(edited 10 years ago)
Oh okay, I guess I'll aim to get to the station just before 12 then, if the shuttle runs every hour, and seeing as registration opens 45 mins before. I'll probably get a bus/taxi back if the shuttle only runs till 1. Yes, hopefully we can claim taxi fairs back- never had a receipt from a taxi though so I don't know if that would work.

Hi again guys, that's where the website I linked to comes in useful. For the trains use nationalrail.co.uk and then for the buses use traveline.info. Traveline has uptodate timetables for all public transport, but I find nationalrail easier to use for the train aspect. Oh and Rebecca most of the time if you ask the taxi driver they will give you a receipt. Though if you don't feel comfortable doing that using busses makes claiming the expenses a lot easier.

Hope those little side points help somewhat :smile:
Reply 885

Well, from last year there were some people dressed smart, and some dressed more casual. So its up to you. I personally wouldn't feel right not going smart.

xx

I think the woman I spoke to said that the shuttle starts running again every half hour after 3, but I expect we can find out more from the hotel when we're there. Thanks for the advice about the dress code.

Original post by timmy-miles
Hi again guys, that's where the website I linked to comes in useful. For the trains use nationalrail.co.uk and then for the buses use traveline.info. Traveline has uptodate timetables for all public transport, but I find nationalrail easier to use for the train aspect. Oh and Rebecca most of the time if you ask the taxi driver they will give you a receipt. Though if you don't feel comfortable doing that using busses makes claiming the expenses a lot easier.

Hope those little side points help somewhat :smile:

Good luck to everyone who'll be at the assessment tomorrow!
Thanks, Yes- I searched for the hotel, and found that it does say that it runs every half hour after 3.

Good luck to you as well!

xx
Reply 887

I'm in the Sheffield AM one on Wednesday. I emailed the NGDP support about the dress code and they said to dress smart casual, hope that helps!
Reply 888
London afternoon session, this Friday.

Dreading this. haha
Reply 889
Original post by dnaalpha
London afternoon session, this Friday.

Dreading this. haha

Same! :frown: see you there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 890
Original post by freshcott
Same! :frown: see you there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I'm trying to get an idea of what we're going to have to do, but the more I find out the worse it sounds. Just have to see how it goes I guess!
I applied for this last year and got to this stage - there really isn't anything you can do to prepare. Just try not to run out of time majorly like I did last year (spent to long reading the material, not enough time writing). I don't remember the numerical bit being to complex (and I hate maths too), and there isn't that much time for lots of calculations anyway.

So how much time do people reckon is the best balance for reading the information, planning and time left for writing?

Long time lurker here, by the way. Hello! I'm off to the Sheffield assessment tomorrow afternoon, coming from Edinburgh. Will probably head to the art gallery after!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 892
So how did everyone feel their assessment went?
I have no idea. Ran out of time and had to really rush the last bit :frown:

Did they say when we should hear back by?
Reply 893
I ran out of time too :frown: spent way too long reading the info and trying to work out what to write for the project plan. I think we hear at the end of March, fingers crossed :smile: I think it's quite hard to tell how you've done..
I think everyone has run out of time, which (to be perfectly honest) is quite the relief! I assume that we are being assessed more on how we actually comprehend the data and then present it than actually doing a full report. I emailed them and they linked me to the website which gives the full timescales: http://www.local.gov.uk/web/ngdp/join-ngdp. So whilst I feel a little daft now emailing them about information that is easily found on the website at least I can share it with you guys and spare anyone else the same blushes!
Reply 895
Original post by timmy-miles
I think everyone has run out of time, which (to be perfectly honest) is quite the relief! I assume that we are being assessed more on how we actually comprehend the data and then present it than actually doing a full report. I emailed them and they linked me to the website which gives the full timescales: http://www.local.gov.uk/web/ngdp/join-ngdp. So whilst I feel a little daft now emailing them about information that is easily found on the website at least I can share it with you guys and spare anyone else the same blushes!

Yeah it's a relief to know I'm not the only one!

And I also contacted them haha. They told me it'd be the last week of March/first week of April :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck everyone! Just to offer a little from my experience - last year I called my parents as soon as I got out, told them I'd blown it - hadn't even finished the exam and I can't believe I wasted a day in London so close to my dissertation hand in deadline! And now I'm on the scheme...

So try not to worry :smile:
Reply 897
Original post by veggie4life
Good luck everyone! Just to offer a little from my experience - last year I called my parents as soon as I got out, told them I'd blown it - hadn't even finished the exam and I can't believe I wasted a day in London so close to my dissertation hand in deadline! And now I'm on the scheme...

So try not to worry :smile:

That's reassuring! I called my mum in a bit of a panic afterwards too.

Fingers crossed. I just hate the waiting!

How's the scheme going so far? Hope you're enjoying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by freshcott
That's reassuring! I called my mum in a bit of a panic afterwards too.

Fingers crossed. I just hate the waiting!

How's the scheme going so far? Hope you're enjoying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The waiting is the worst bit but it'll all happen quite quickly after this part :smile: Reading are setting up their interviews for the final stage at the moment - 20th June!

I haven't dropped out yet :smile: We've all just changing over to second placements at the moment so it's all change! I really do love the scheme - it's the only grad job I applied for and it's definitely lived up to its expectations I had for it - It's such an odd scheme though in that it's so locally managed so the experience of NMTs varies so widely - chatting to previous NMTs at the info days and using the forum afterwards will give you a flavour though so you find a council that's right for you :smile:
Reply 899
I got through!!! Anyone else heard? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending