The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Er if you can afford an Audi buy an Audi. But remember it will cost more in the long run.
Reply 2
The Astra will loose more money than the Audi though but Audi parts and labour will be more expensive. The A3 is actually just a Golf so it shouldn't cost too much to run.
Reply 3
What a question :eek:..

Go for the Audi, it is better in ever way! Engine, chasis, interior, handling... I could go on :smile:
Reply 4
Please beware that the audi a3 1.6 is in group 9 for insurance, whereas the Astra is in group 6?

regards
--marty
That's actually a more difficult question than you think, the astra is actually a good car. As much as it pains me to say!
Reply 6
pghstochaj
That's actually a more difficult question than you think, the astra is actually a good car. As much as it pains me to say!

It can't be as good as the Audi, surely!
But there's more to it than just which is 'better' on paper. There's things from value for money, ownership costs, aesthetics, performance etc. to consider. The astra is the best Vauxhall made, ever, simple as. The A3 is a middle of the road Audi.

Of course badge snobbery would put a lot within the A3 without question.

I honestly don't know the answer and wouldn't know without doing decent test drives in both, I certainly wouldn't write off the Astra without giving it a try.
Reply 8
I agree with Pghsto, the Astra is the better car when the badges are removed, it has more modern engines, better safety and luxery kit etc. The A3 is a 1998 Golf MK4 and that car was never exactly known its class leading chasis (the Focus but it to shame).

However the Audi will be easier to sell and keep its value better.

What the Astra lacks is image.
Reply 9
pghstochaj
..The astra is the best Vauxhall made, ever, simple as.

Excluding the VX220, and monaro of course.

And the cally 4x4 turbo.

And the Omega.

Actually it is a hard choice. The new Astra is a really nice car, and the A3 is.. a golf. Just drive both, and see which you prefer.

Edit: That said, Audi interiors are wonderful places to be. Everything feels really well made, and anything that opens or moves (except the steering wheel, gearbox etc, natch) makes a really nice *clunk* noise. Vauxhall interiors are dull.
lol, the Calibra turbo and the VX220 may well be quicker, but certainly not better. The Omega is run of the mill and fairly poor, although I only have experience of the mk1. The Monaro is fine but not as good as the Astra.

It's like saying that the Grand Punto is the best Fiat there has been; it is. The 20vT coupé might be quicker, the Stilo may have had more toys, the Uno turbo may have been more fun. By the book however, none are comparable. The latest mark Astra is the same, a step up from Vauxhall's normal standard.

As I said before, I would certainly not write the Astra off and would only make up my mind after spending a lot of time. I reckon I would surprise myself and go for the *gulp*, no comment :wink:
Reply 11
The XV220 is a Lotus and the Monaro is a Holden. The Astra is an Opal but at least Vauxhall is supposed to just be an English badge for Opal.

The Omega is just a Holden as well, I think although it was made in Europe. The Monaro is actually built by Holden in Australia and the VX is built by Lotus.

However the best Vauxhall ever made was the Lotus Calrton, a top speed of 180mph on a saloon car in 1990.
Reply 12

A3. I've only ever been in a 03/4 Astra, and I was really unimpressed. Air Con didn't work until after 10 mins of driving and when it rained is sounded like a monsoon
I just noticed about the Vauxhall interior being dull! Have you ever been in an A3? It's like sitting in a 90s car, where as the Astra in my limited experience is like being in a 2000 car.

E.g. (real world pictures, not marketing pictures)
Audi (2002 SE TDi)

Astra 2005

Btw; I hate vauxhalls but I genuinely think only badge snobbery puts the A3 above the astra without thought.
OMGWTF
A3. I've only ever been in a 03/4 Astra, and I was really unimpressed. Air Con didn't work until after 10 mins of driving and when it rained is sounded like a monsoon

Would have been faulty then, AC isn't like heating, once the compressor is on it will work within seconds. Never been in one to know if it is loud in the same though?!
Reply 15
pghstochaj
I just noticed about the Vauxhall interior being dull! Have you ever been in an A3? It's like sitting in a 90s car, where as the Astra in my limited experience is like being in a 2000 car.

Lol that is because the A3 is an 90's car, a 2002 version is the MK1 which came out in 98. I remember even then the press were saying they were pretty bland and were a car people buy just for the badge.

Badge snobbery is a funny one becuase good badges are much easier to sell and loose their value less. A 2004 Astra will just plumet.

Personaly if I was to buy any VAG car it would be a Skoda. In another way of putting this is the A3 is the same as an Octavia, it just costs twice the price and has made of use of slightly better quality plastics.
Reply 16
Buying a 3 year old car is not that bad, most of the depreciation has already hit the car in its first 3 years. So if the Astra depreciates badly it will start to flatten out when it is over 3 years old.

If the Astra is a better car, which i would argue it is, i would buy the Astra, it has more features (better value for money) and just looks better! Audi's are and always will be, boring.

Graham
*tries to stop himself from fainting and beathes deeply* what's that, we just agreed with each other?

I'm going for a sit down.
Reply 18
Lol!

Yes we just did...we should treasure this day (and this topic!) lol!

:biggrin:

Graham
pghstochaj

E.g. (real world pictures, not marketing pictures)
Audi (2002 SE TDi)

Astra 2005

Btw; I hate vauxhalls but I genuinely think only badge snobbery puts the A3 above the astra without thought.

I actually prefer the audi interior in those pics, because i know that th audi dash would be more secure with better plastic/hard rubber whereas the Astra just looks...ugly