The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2740
Original post by Sarah_143
I think it was more the fact I wasn't expecting it to go the way it did that freaked me out and the fact I felt under so much pressure. If I had been driving on my own in this situation it would be a different story.

Since you haven't driven on your own you can't reliably say that. But even so, there are many situations that mean you might have to go the way you don't expect (roadworks meaning road is closed, for example) so you can't go to pieces over it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't be marked on being hesitant :frown:
oh well, what's done is done, I know for next time
Reply 2742
Failed this morning :frown: it was going pretty well for the first 20 minutes and then I was took on a route which I'd never done before, never practiced, nothing. I had no idea where I was going and lost all confidence I had to carry on and became very very hesitant, something which failed me in the end. Undue hesitation, PAH!
The second he told me to turn left at the roundabout and not right, which I normally do, I knew I'd failed.
Ah, the folly of route learning!

Instructors are as much to blame for this. If they teach judgement and confidence on roads the learner has never been on before, they can drive anywhere, then it won't matter if they go off route on a test.

Even on a test, your skill should be the same on a route you pick up from cold as on a road you know extremely well. Even on roads you know well, the unexpected can happen.

Those who have taken music exams will have heard of "sight reading". If learners learned to "sight read" roads rather than route learn, the pass rate would almost double and the roads would be a lot safer.
Well now I feel terrible :frown:
Well now I feel terrible :frown:

Why? Just have a few more lessons, get your confidence back up and try again. Fall down seven times get back up eight and all that. Tbh my instructor did take me on all the possible routes just so that lots of my lessons were like how the test would be - in the same format, but they've just began changing the routes up round here and so I ended up getting a route i'd never been on. I agree, it can be pretty daunting when you don't know where you're going but, as others have said, you will be doing this when you pass! You will pass your test, you just need to believe in yourself more! Maybe try asking your instructor to take you to places you've never been before and practice how the test would be so you have to decide for yourself where to go, which lane to be in etc, this will help build your confidence. I know you can do it :smile:
Original post by lauraaaaa
Why? Just have a few more lessons, get your confidence back up and try again. Fall down seven times get back up eight and all that. Tbh my instructor did take me on all the possible routes just so that lots of my lessons were like how the test would be - in the same format, but they've just began changing the routes up round here and so I ended up getting a route i'd never been on. I agree, it can be pretty daunting when you don't know where you're going but, as others have said, you will be doing this when you pass! You will pass your test, you just need to believe in yourself more! Maybe try asking your instructor to take you to places you've never been before and practice how the test would be so you have to decide for yourself where to go, which lane to be in etc, this will help build your confidence. I know you can do it :smile:

Thank you, I know everyone is right about having to do roads I've never been on before when I pass. I've had so many issues with my confidence whilst learning to drive due to bad experiences with a previous instructor, which I've somewhat resolved now, I feel that perhaps I thought I was a bit more confident than it seems I was. Does this even make sense? idk
I'm having a few more lessons & putting back in for my test quite soon though, hopefully next time I'll get the result I'm after :smile:
Thank you, I know everyone is right about having to do roads I've never been on before when I pass. I've had so many issues with my confidence whilst learning to drive due to bad experiences with a previous instructor, which I've somewhat resolved now, I feel that perhaps I thought I was a bit more confident than it seems I was. Does this even make sense? idk
I'm having a few more lessons & putting back in for my test quite soon though, hopefully next time I'll get the result I'm after :smile:

Yeah, I wasn't confident with driving until near my test and even then I wasn't that confident. The best thing is more practice in places you aren't that familiar with so you're prepared for the test again. I'm sure you'll pass this time :smile:
I've got my third test tomorrow! Very nervous... just because I feel like I can't mess it up again or I'm going to disappoint my parents a third time. It's ridiculously expensive doing these tests!

Last test I made the most ridiculous mistake of nearly running a red light (I saw amber and thought I could make it) and obviously I know not to do that... it won't happen again - I'll be so careful around traffic lights this time! Other than that my examiner said it was a very good drive, even he couldn't work out why I did it. He slammed down the brakes and from then on it was the worst feeling.

It's annoying knowing you can do it, when your lessons are almost perfect, but falling to pieces in the exam! I think it's 99% nerves. I get ridiculously nervous :-(

Oh well. Third time lucky!
...could I have said ridiculous one more time? :L
Reply 2749
Failed for the second time today. This time i got no minors but 2 majors. One because I joined a queue at the roundabout when I turned left but apparently the instructor said a car behind me would have had to slow down as i didn't leave enough room for them at the junction. The second one was because i was suppose to be indicating right and in the right lane because i was taking the second exit off a roundabout. I tried to dispute both points because on the first one, the queue of traffic at the roundabout would have happened anyway. On the second major i tried to explain that at the first exit i would have had to indicate left; the second exit didn't need an indication when approaching but a left indication when i came off and i would have had to indicate right if i was turning on third exit. But he was adamant that i should have been in the right hand lane as the first exit was a bus route. Rules of roundabouts baffle me.

What annoyed me was the instructor kept complimenting on how good of a driver I was. I think i failed for stupid reasons and if anything they should have been minors. People should have the right to dispute test instructor decisions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Driving test for the fourth time tomorrow safe to say im really scared :frown::frown:
Original post by Charl-ram
Driving test for the fourth time tomorrow safe to say im really scared :frown::frown:

Good luck. Try and stay calm!
Not rubbing it in anyones face, but i just wannna say to everyone out there reading this thread! do not give up :smile: youll get there! did mine today and passed with 10 minors :smile: good luck guys if you've a test comin up soon! you's can do it!!
Original post by Charl-ram
Not rubbing it in anyones face, but i just wannna say to everyone out there reading this thread! do not give up :smile: youll get there! did mine today and passed with 10 minors :smile: good luck guys if you've a test comin up soon! you's can do it!!

Yay:smile: get out there and get on someone's insurance:smile:. So exciting. You won't know yourself now that you have a car for jaunts around the place.
Just failed my second test and both times I've failed for ridiculously stupid mistakes :frown:

Thinking about leaving it until the summer now as I just can't take it anymore.
Ive failed three times , fourth is next week so scared
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you are able to book the next test within the '10 working days policy' ? because I think the web isnt allowing me to do so but i haven't tried ringing DSA up. Thanks guys
Original post by frank1223
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you are able to book the next test within the '10 working days policy' ? because I think the web isnt allowing me to do so but i haven't tried ringing DSA up. Thanks guys

Maybe there aren't any slots available.
Original post by The Jargen
Maybe there aren't any slots available.

hmmmm that's a possibility. I have been checking like every 15mins literally for the past 7 days but there hasn't been even one short 48hrs notice test shown,which seems to me that the web has applied a restriction on my booking. anyway thanks mate.
Reply 2759
Original post by frank1223
hmmmm that's a possibility. I have been checking like every 15mins literally for the past 7 days but there hasn't been even one short 48hrs notice test shown,which seems to me that the web has applied a restriction on my booking. anyway thanks mate.

They won't show you tests that you can't do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending