The Student Room Group

It is much better to use controllers for steam games

I got dark souls in the steam winter sale, and when i started playing it earlier today i realised my hand can't stay put on WASD and reach over for L at the same time. So i downloaded motioninjoy and now use my ps3 controller. Best. Decision. Ever.

I RECOMMEND EVERYONE DO THIS.

Over, and out.

Scroll to see replies

That's because Dark souls is just a really ****ty unoptimized port. Keyboard and mouse is still superior for most games especially FPS.
Dark souls is an excellent example of a controller optimised game. There are many there in this category (thinking psychonauts final level might be impossible using a keyboard!) but others are better with a keyboard and mouse, if you have a fair gaming mouse. By which I mean, not my ****ty USB £3 mouse :tongue:
Original post by Qymberley
I got dark souls in the steam winter sale, and when i started playing it earlier today i realised my hand can't stay put on WASD and reach over for L at the same time. So i downloaded motioninjoy and now use my ps3 controller. Best. Decision. Ever.

I RECOMMEND EVERYONE DO THIS.

Over, and out.

Dark souls was a terrible port it really should be played with a pad. Basically some games work better with a pad, some better with mouse + keyboard. There is not one fits all approach.

Also a 360 pc controller is the easiest to use as most games have that as the default pad option.
Reply 4
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Dark souls was a terrible port it really should be played with a pad. Basically some games work better with a pad, some better with mouse + keyboard. There is not one fits all approach.

Also a 360 pc controller is the easiest to use as most games have that as the default pad option.

I agree, i'm a big mmorpg player, and would never want a controller for any of them (WoW). And like Skyrim - not the best on ps3 tbh and wish i got it on PC instead. I got excited that i couldn't use my keyboard for once :P
I agree, i'm a big mmorpg player, and would never want a controller for any of them (WoW). And like Skyrim - not the best on ps3 tbh and wish i got it on PC instead. I got excited that i couldn't use my keyboard for once :P

The great thing about the pc is that you can use all kinds of different input methods :smile:
Reply 6
The great thing about the pc is that you can use all kinds of different input methods :smile:

indeed! I'm sure it's also probably the most powerful gaming system money can buy
indeed! I'm sure it's also probably the most powerful gaming system money can buy

We're the pc master race:wink:
Reply 8
Original post by kidomo
We're the pc master race:wink:

KIDOMO are you following me by any chance? :colone:
You can't use a controller for football manager or dawn of war.

If I want to use a controller I'll just turn one of my consoles on,
KIDOMO are you following me by any chance? :colone:

Haha No, why? :colone: Your thread popped up on the main page:lol:
Purely coincidence.

I see you're a devout steam user? :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)

What server you on? If you're a healer .. :lol:

Yeah Keyboard and a Logitech G600 is what I do. Makes a massive difference in Arena.

I use the Xbox controller on the PC for anything without competitive online, Kingdoms of Amalur or L4D being the most recent games.
(edited 9 years ago)

At the same time.

I played GTA San Andreas on PC. Used keyboard and mouse for running and shooting and an Xbox pad for driving and flying. Worked brilliantly for me.
Reply 13
Original post by So Instinct
What server you on? If you're a healer .. :lol:

Yeah Keyboard and a Logitech G600 is what I do. Makes a massive difference in Arena.

I use the Xbox controller on the PC for anything without competitive online, Kingdoms of Amalur or L4D being the most recent games.

I stopped since mists of pandaria came out :frown: it's really gone downhill imo. And nope, I mained death knight with a few others on the side for when my guild needed a tank or whatever. I actually stopped since we got into a massive argument and disbanded >.<
Reply 14
Original post by kidomo
Haha No, why? :colone: Your thread popped up on the main page:lol:
Purely coincidence.

I see you're a devout steam user? :biggrin:

Just seen you around a lot recently :biggrin: i wouldn't say devout but I am getting there! Add me if you want, user is Qymberley
Why are all Steam games getting lumped together here? :lolwut:
Exactly there are plenty of games that you have to launch through steam that would be unplayable on a controller.
Original post by Scumbaggio
Exactly there are plenty of games that you have to launch through steam that would be unplayable on a controller.

Yeah, try playing a TW game with a controller!

I'm looking forward to seeing what the steam pad will offer though.
No thanks. Keyboard and mouse every time, especially with FPS. If you need aim assist thats fine but most of us are fine with keyboard and mouse.

:cool:
I can't even imagine playing TES or Fallout games with a controller.

Quick Reply

Latest