The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rmhumphries
Sounds like it might be crashing because you are approaching the maximum memory - in best circumstances, (32bit) firefox can access only upto 4GB of RAM.

Hmmm, fair point. You might be right. Luckily I'm now using the 64 bit nightly and have 8GB RAM which should be fine for my purposes with luck.
Are you on a 64bit machine? Might be worth using the 64bit beta - see if that is any better? I use around 1GB of RAM with firefox using a good number of tabs, so possibly you are running out of 32bit address space for the process?

I thought they decommissioned this a while ago saying 64-bit was unnecessary or something like that (:lol:). I guess they brought it back.
Original post by Chrosson
I thought they decommissioned this a while ago saying 64-bit was unnecessary or something like that (:lol:). I guess they brought it back.

You are correct, however there was a pretty big backlash, so they brought it back. I am hoping (although not holding my breath) that the backlash showed public support for a 64bit build, and so it might be higher on their priority list now.
Having player around with Windows 8.1 for the last 45 days or so, I have decided to give Mint 16 Cinnamon a go. :yep:

2 hours later and this Linux noob has a stable WiFi connection!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Original post by G8D
I don't use the iTunes store but I have some questions.

Is there DRM? I've read that they stopped using 'FairPlay' on music but as I understood it music downloaded from iTunes can only be played in iTunes or on a connected iDevice, is that right? So does Apple not have active DRM but their ecosystem operates tantamount to DRM restrictions?

No DRM anymore as far as I'm aware, I've been able to use my iTunes downloads on my non-Apple MP3 player in their original formats and after converting them to FLAC with zero issues.
Standard drag-and-drop, my entire iTunes library folder goes onto a MicroSD via Explorer then into the player.
Original post by G8D
Thank you.

And are AAC files 'standard' and playable by most third party media players?

No worries :yy:

Yep, as far as I'm aware AAC will be catered for by the majority of players. I obviously can't guarantee obscure players will support it, but from what I've seen the few remaining non-iPod players that still sell well either run Android or are Sansa clip products, which all natively support it.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=46571716&postcount=7
I like my privacy so any type of coding/programming that would help with that

I know programmers are stereotyped as introverts, but I've never encountered it being learnt because of said stereotype :tongue:
I built a PC a while back and am using Win 8 with an OEM license (which should permit transferal between computers).
I'd like to switch my 500GB HDD for an SSD (specifically the Samsung EVO), would it be as easy as switching the drives and installing windows from disc? The authentication code should work again?
Original post by G8D
In Word how do I go about having roman numerals for a few pages and then arabic numerals for the rest? There's guidance on MS website and that is repeated on Yahoo Answers but it doesn't seem to work for me. It seems to be one or the other.

As in:
i, ii, iii, 4, 5, 6,...

Or:
i, ii, iii, 1, 2, 3,...
?

In either case, after adding the page numbers you'll need to have a new page section break where you want the new format to being, then disable "link to previous" for the header/footer where the numbers appear. Once done, go to Insert -> Page Numbers -> Format Page Numbers for the while you have the second page's numbers selected and choose the new format and, if necessary, a new starting point.

Does that help?
Original post by G8D
Another question. Is it possible to have multiple alignments on a line? I'm basically building a contents page and I want Chapters/headings on the left and page numbers on the right without resorting to innumerable full stops to align it correctly.

EDIT: I've just discovered columns, give me a moment.

EDIT: These seem like a decent way to achieve what I want, unless there's some other better way.

Columns should work fine, though it's also possible to set alignment markers to be "left", "centre" or "right", with multiple markers on a single line.

Sorted now re page numbering? I use Windows rather than Mac, which won't help with giving you guidance, sorry!
Reply 5871
As a Mac user, I just experimented and got the mixed page numbers to work. I tested it numerous times and it does it each time. Try this:

Go to Insert>Page Numbers...>Format, and select the roman numerals from the Number Format drop-down list.

Next, go to the page that you want to start the new numbering from. Then to go Insert>Break>Section Break (Next Page). Now go to Insert>Page Numbers>Format, and select the Arabic numbers from the Number Format drop-down. If you want the numbers to go I, II, III, 4, 5, 6, then make sure that 'Continue from previous selection' is checked. Else, check the option that says 'Start at:', and choose the number (so if you choose 1, it would be I, II, III, 1, 2, 3, etc.). Then hit Ok, Ok again, and it should be done. Every time you want to start a new chain of page numbering, insert a section break (next page) onto the page you want the new numbering to start from - so with the examples in this paragraph, the section break would go onto the 4th page.

Let me know if it works out. :smile:
Reply 5872
Ah, fair enough. Well glad you got it sorted. :smile:
You know that you've got yourself some nasty malware when you need three separate tools to get rid of it :indiff:

Some re-education needed for certain people about basic internet security, I think :tongue:
Original post by Illusionary
You know that you've got yourself some nasty malware when you need three separate tools to get rid of it :indiff:

Some re-education needed for certain people about basic internet security, I think :tongue:

At my work, someone managed to install some malware during their interview test (for a Web Developer position)...
At my work, someone managed to install some malware during their interview test (for a Web Developer position)...

Did they get the job? :tongue:
Original post by Illusionary
Did they get the job? :tongue:

No, they didn't :tongue:
This heartbleed stuff is pretty bad.
My second one is in the post too :3

I'm freed from my old 460 :biggrin:

There is literally no need for 2 unless doing surround or 4k, still pretty nice.
Would have probably have also been better to have held out for 880s :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending