The Student Room Group

How many times do you practice your manoeuvres?

Was just wondering how it differed from instructor to instructor. When you have a lesson learning turn in the road/3 point turn or reversing around a corner etc, how many times do you get to do it in your lessons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I've had two instructors. Had to abandon the first instructor after the 6th lesson because he had a heart condition, and strangely enough, I haven't heard of him since the January.. :/ On my first lesson he took me to a quiet road, told me the basics. Saw I knew how to do it, we carried to the streets. The rest of my 5 lessons with him we didn't do the rinse and repeat, just carried on. When I changed to my current instructor, I told her what I learned from my previous instructor, was taught all the remaining necessary manoeuvres on each lesson and now I'm basically just doing the same regular driving, to 'perfect them'. I never actually learnt from my instructor how to move off, turn and do the clutch control (apart from slow moving traffic on hills, which I could never understand how to do properly until she showed me and it's actually so simple :/). Long story short, from the two instructors I had, it's definitely how they see you, whether you understand. If they see you get it, they won't meddle with it and move on. Once you learn them all it really is just making them 'perfect'. So, I am sure that each lesson you will encounter the same manoeuvre you might have done 3 lessons earlier, even though they know you understand and do it well. They're trying to train that muscle memory of yours as well as being aware throughout the rest of your driving career. Like for example, I did bay parking today, which I have done only once and it was about 5 lessons ago. She saw me doing it well, she moved on. But parallel parking seems to be a bit of a weak point for me, even though I get it, I still seem to go too wide. Therefore, I've done that more than bay parking. So don't disheartened, it's normal. However, I've read that some try to cash grab you and not teach you anything, but I've also heard that it's rare.
Original post by Dasmaya
I've had two instructors. Had to abandon the first instructor after the 6th lesson because he had a heart condition, and strangely enough, I haven't heard of him since the January.. :/ On my first lesson he took me to a quiet road, told me the basics. Saw I knew how to do it, we carried to the streets. The rest of my 5 lessons with him we didn't do the rinse and repeat, just carried on. When I changed to my current instructor, I told her what I learned from my previous instructor, was taught all the remaining necessary manoeuvres on each lesson and now I'm basically just doing the same regular driving, to 'perfect them'. I never actually learnt from my instructor how to move off, turn and do the clutch control (apart from slow moving traffic on hills, which I could never understand how to do properly until she showed me and it's actually so simple :/). Long story short, from the two instructors I had, it's definitely how they see you, whether you understand. If they see you get it, they won't meddle with it and move on. Once you learn them all it really is just making them 'perfect'. So, I am sure that each lesson you will encounter the same manoeuvre you might have done 3 lessons earlier, even though they know you understand and do it well. They're trying to train that muscle memory of yours as well as being aware throughout the rest of your driving career. Like for example, I did bay parking today, which I have done only once and it was about 5 lessons ago. She saw me doing it well, she moved on. But parallel parking seems to be a bit of a weak point for me, even though I get it, I still seem to go too wide. Therefore, I've done that more than bay parking. So don't disheartened, it's normal. However, I've read that some try to cash grab you and not teach you anything, but I've also heard that it's rare.

Oh thats sad to hear about your first instructor.
I was just curious as I've 'learnt' 3 manouevres in but only done them twice in the lessons I was taught them. Would have thought we'd do them more times in each of those lessons because for the both tries my instructor guided me how to do them rather than say letting me do it without his help. But the company I am with and my instructor are both great so I trust what they're doing..
We're definitely going to practise them more in future lessons, I was just curious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by cherryblossom23
Oh thats sad to hear about your first instructor.
I was just curious as I've 'learnt' 3 manouevres in but only done them twice in the lessons I was taught them. Would have thought we'd do them more times in each of those lessons because for the both tries my instructor guided me how to do them rather than say letting me do it without his help. But the company I am with and my instructor are both great so I trust what they're doing..
We're definitely going to practise them more in future lessons, I was just curious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely! Don't worry if they guide you. That's why they are there, to guide you :tongue:. And in my opinion, your instructor is doing the right thing. There's no point in getting stuck on one manoeuvre as they will eventually go through it with you again. Once they teach you all the necessary manoeuvres, you will go over them repeatedly, up until the last day. And since you have a good relationship with your instructor, that's all that matters. All the best for you!

And indeed, it was strange how my first instructor simply disappeared. I hope he's alright.

Oh and also, because there are quite some to learn, you couldn't possibly repeat them all in one hour. So from what I gather, they are doing the right thing by moving forward. In my opinion.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I seem to be doing all three manoeuvres each lesson. I've never done bay parking, I hope that's not too difficult.
Original post by Stinkum
I seem to be doing all three manoeuvres each lesson. I've never done bay parking, I hope that's not too difficult.

Ahh interesting. :tongue: I've done bay parking and it isn't too bad, I think I found it easier than reverse around a corner.
Reply 6
I struggle with reverse around a corner, I don't mind parallel park, but I want bay parking for my test simply cause its done at either the beginning or end.

but turn in the road would be heaven on a plate!!!
Reply 7
Usually do one of each every lesson, if I mess it up first time we do a few more until I get it right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vitamin D
Usually do one of each every lesson, if I mess it up first time we do a few more until I get it right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many lessons have you had?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
How many lessons have you had?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Been learning since August last year once a week for an hour so a good few :smile: I didn't have any experience beforehand though and I don't drive outside lessons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I've been doing them occasionally in the lesson but I've only having a lesson once a week for a few months.
I think I need to do them more, at the moment I seem to be just mainly driving and changing gears but I suppose I haven't had that many lessons (I think I've had between 10 - 12 but I'm really not sure and my driving instructor doesn't seem to know either..)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
My test is in less than 10 days and I've only just started to learn how to do bay parking, it's very hard and I'm finding it almost impossible, I'm pretty sure I'll fail my test if I have to do bay parking.
Since learning them all we have tried to do one of each each lesson, I generally think of the bay park like a sharp left reverse around the corner and it seems to help :smile:
Original post by corax
I've been doing them occasionally in the lesson but I've only having a lesson once a week for a few months.
I think I need to do them more, at the moment I seem to be just mainly driving and changing gears but I suppose I haven't had that many lessons (I think I've had between 10 - 12 but I'm really not sure and my driving instructor doesn't seem to know either..)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've had around 10 lessons too and still got one more manouevre to learn. Same with the driving thing, we spend a lot of time driving to locations to do the manouevres when I'm sure there are faster routes to get there lol. My basic driving skills have improved from that though.

Original post by Stinkum
My test is in less than 10 days and I've only just started to learn how to do bay parking, it's very hard and I'm finding it almost impossible, I'm pretty sure I'll fail my test if I have to do bay parking.

Original post by xx-Samantha-xx
Since learning them all we have tried to do one of each each lesson, I generally think of the bay park like a sharp left reverse around the corner and it seems to help :smile:

You might not have to do the bay parking if your test centre is really busy with lots of cars, I've heard of that happening before. Good luck :smile:
Reply 14
I've had around 10 lessons too and still got one more manouevre to learn. Same with the driving thing, we spend a lot of time driving to locations to do the manouevres when I'm sure there are faster routes to get there lol. My basic driving skills have improved from that though.

Ah I still need to practise them more, I can't remember how to do them myself yet.
Same, last lesson all I did really was drive around but at least I'm not stalling anymore or drifting across the road when changing gears :lol:
I've been having roughly 5 months of lessons, generally in every lesson we will do 1 or 2 reverse around a corner and one turn in the round, will usually but not always reverse into a parking space (albeit with no cars eitherside) and I probably do a reverse parallel park once every 3 lessons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending