The Student Room Group

How long does it take at most to hear the result of an interview?

Hi,
I went to an interview on 17/3/14 and the interview went well, but the interviewer said my lack of specific job experience would be the only thing potentially preventing me from getting the job,
she said she had many other interviews for the post, and i stupidly didnt ask when i would get an answer

so one week after the interview i emailed HR saying "have you chosen the applicant" but they didnt reply,

so last week i emailed a different agent who then forwarded my mail to the other agent, still no reply?!

so on Monday it would of been two weeks post interview,
i know they had several other candidates after me, but realistically how long does this take to let someone know?
my first email one week post interview made it easy for them to say i was unsuccessful, but no reply

so am i just being impatient, or is the fact its been two weeks and ive contacted HR twice with no reply signal i was unsuccessful?

it only takes 30 seconds to reply saying "you were unsuccessful"
i also tried getting through to her on the phone but the operator, after getting my name, says " its going through to voicemail", every time i call them!!
Reply 1
You are definitely being impatient, interviews can easily be spread over a two or three week period, then there are references to check, then letters might go out to people they want to offer positions to, then they have to wait until they are accepted til they can turn down the other applicants, it can be a lengthy process.

Stop hassling them, its definitely not helping your case.
Reply 2
o dear, maybe i have hampered my chances by being persistent
Original post by LolaLowe
You are definitely being impatient, interviews can easily be spread over a two or three week period, then there are references to check, then letters might go out to people they want to offer positions to, then they have to wait until they are accepted til they can turn down the other applicants, it can be a lengthy process.

Stop hassling them, its definitely not helping your case.

Actually, most places let you know quite quickly, usually by phone as well as in person. So while it may take 2 or 3 weeks, depending on where you are applying, a lot of places let you know sooner. Especially as they will want to fill the role.
The OP is perfectly fine to phone up to see if they have been successful. The OP is only enquiring, and if they havent made their mind up, then all the company needs to do is say. And if the OP wasnt successful, then the OP is entitled to be told and ask for feedback.
Original post by katx
o dear, maybe i have hampered my chances by being persistent

Dont worry.
Companies vary wildly on how quick they get back. Most get back within a week, 2 weeks at the most. They arent going to take forever to decide as they will want to fill the role after all. You wherent being persistent, you where only enquiring, which you are perfectly entitled to do. Unfortunately, quite a few companies dont bother to tell you havent been successful and you never hear from them. It can be horrible i know, but it happens. Ive been in that situation myself. The fact that they seem to have messed you about a bit isnt the best. Id carry on applying for jobs, and if you hear back, then alls good (even if you dont get the job, at least you have heard something) and if you dont,- it hurts but move on and apply for other things.
Reply 5
thank you
Reply 6
With one job i heard about 1 hour later
My second I heard during interview

But those were weird ones, not the usual retail stuff
Reply 7
I wouldn't answer you if you just emailed 'have you chosen the applicant'

Should have been more polite with your email.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending