The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I just wanted to report back that after two more tries, I finally passed the test the day before yesterday (on try #6!), and with only 4 minors! I was on the verge of going on a long hiatus because of the financial and emotional strain of it all, so am beyond relieved and happy about this! It was a smooth test overall, and I even managed to get the reverse around a corner manoeuvre right, so feel accomplished! To all of you who are feeling some of the frustration I felt through this process-- all I can say is that you WILL get there. I didn't believe others when they said it, but having gone through so much agony over this, and getting through it, I can assure you that if you persist, work on all the areas that have tripped you up in the past, and keep at it, you'll become such a good driver they'll have nothin' on you. Good luck, and thanks again to those of you who sent me needed encouragement!

Original post by schiele9
I've failed four times so far, and am nearly feeling ready to throw in the towel. Not because I'm a bad driver-- I think I'm pretty good by now, and so does my instructor-- but because I freeze up and make stupid and costly mistakes on tests. This process is draining me emotionally, financially, and taking me away from my PhD and bread and butter work. I feel really desperate, like I'll never get through this process. I've been taking lessons for over a year, and spent thousands of pounds on lessons, test fees, manuals, and even self-hypnosis tapes and silly self-help books on how to pass and overcome nerves. To no avail. My one consolation is that I'm now a pretty damned good driver. Confident and capable when taking lessons. Then I self-sabotage on lessons. Oh, and by the way, I'm an older driver-- in my mid-30s. I never learned to drive when I was younger, which I'm of course kicking myself for now.

First test: total disaster. So nervous I was visibly shaky, and got 2 majors, one dangerous (tried to overtake 2 cylcists on a too-narrow road) and lots of minors. That was just an "acclimation" test so I wasn't too upset. 2nd test: all went perfectly except at the very beginning of the test, leaving the center, I pulled up the clutch a bit too much out of nerves and rolled a little into the intersection. Only three minors, but failed for that one major since traffic had to go around me a bit. Test three: all perfect, except I took a wrong turn on the infamous Oxford Headington roundabout, spilled onto the dual carriageway on the right in rush hour traffic, and drove too slowly as I was trying to get back into the left. Failed for one major, again (inappropriate speed).

That brings me to today's disastrous result: I failed before even leaving the test centre. I was feeling super confident: had taken several days of intensive lessons and finally felt I had a good shot. But I hadn't properly practiced bay park manoeuvre, and my instructor kept saying it was easy and since I mastered corner resverse and parallel park, I shouldn't worry. Of course I should-- I get super nervous about anything I don't think I've mastered. So when the (very nice instructor) asked me to do a bay park directly before we even went out to drive, I botched it. Felt panicky and frozen, and couldn't get it right. Ended up between two spaces, and gave up too soon, probably...told her that I didn't want to continue the test since I'd already failed. Ended up crying most of the morning. I'm just so frustrated and drained by this process. Upset with myself for self-sabotaging due to nerves and panic-- in my normal state I would have easily been able to fix this problem, but the feeling of someone watching me so carefully makes me SUPER nervous and on edge. And I hate the DSA. I genuinely feel that this test is too rigid. No one was around for my imperfect bay park to affect-- so why can't that count as three or four minors? It's a system that permits so little imperfection, and focuses on such inconsequential things at times, that I have grown to deeply resent this process and the bureaucracy behind it. I'm fed up with draining my savings for this never-ending process, and fed up with feeling like a total idiot.

:-( Thanks for listening. Any advice would be a great help!
Original post by Stinkum
Good luck to you, let us know how it goes. I have mine in two weeks time.

Want to hear the unlucky story? Got in the car, had a lesson, went to the test centre, parked the car and boom... One of the battery pipes exploded and a reddish liquid came out... I was lucky another instructor was willing to give me his car but the gear layout was different and out of a roundabout instead of going on second I went to fourth, so the car was accelerating too fast at 34Mph instead of 30. I realised it and decelerated but he said it was too late.

What a bad luck...

Sent from my GT-I9300
I failed my first test today with zero minors and 1 major! I was turning right at a roundabout and I thought the car on the right was exiting the roundabout because she was in the wrong lane. I started to go but she carried on also meaning I would've hit her if the examiner hadn't of hit her brakes. So frustrating 😣
Reply 2823
I thought I would post on here as I've been reading these posts since driving. I failed my 3rd driving test today and every time I get more annoyed with it all and want to just stop learning as like others its putting a strain on me emotionally as well as financially and also getting time off from work to take my test is just ridiculous.

So the 1st test I failed with 1 dangerous 1 serious and 4 minors. Sounds terrible i know but i was just an absolute nervous wreck. For one i stalled a box junction and the lights had turned red so i quickly drove off with out observations ect. The next bit was an island i was going straight on, knew i was going straight on and knew where to be, but the examiner didn't and as i moved off he grabbed the steering wheel pulling us to the left and then started shouting at me "go right go right" Because i was in utter shock of what had happened i didn't notice the pedestrian crossing at the entry of the road and he slammed his breaks on. Not a good day.

My second test was 1 major 2 minors. I personally think i did quite well i was calm and relaxed whilst driving and the examiner even retracted a fault because he was in the wrong. Basically i was going right at the end of the road, road was clear other than a car coming down the road indicating into the road i was on i went to move of and he slammed the breaks on. Obviously i was protesting and saying he was indicating and turning right and the examiner agreed he was just worried about that drivers speed at the time. The fault came at a round about i judged a car wrong thinking it was going straight on, i went to move of but he came around the island (his positioning was completely off and he wasn't indicating) so the examiner had to put the breaks on.

Which brings us to today. 1 Major 5 minors. I was nervous about this one a bit more because I had a different instructor in the morning as mine was away and I'm very nervous when I'm with new people (hence why I'm not doing well in my tests) So my general driving went OK could have done a bit better but I suppose its a bit late now. My fault came when I pulled on to a tight road, traffic all the way up the other side and on my side a line of parked cars. We were sat there for quite a while and when there was room to get through I began to pull off but she slammed the breaks on because the back of the car was to close to the parked car on the corner. She put it down as Dangerous! Extremely annoyed considering i did about 3 round about 4 junctions plus my manoeuvre and I fail for that.

Getting very fed up about it all and just don't know how to control my nerves so my heart isn't pounding and hands arn't shaking etc.
Reply 2824
Original post by schiele9
I just wanted to report back that after two more tries, I finally passed the test the day before yesterday (on try #6!), and with only 4 minors! I was on the verge of going on a long hiatus because of the financial and emotional strain of it all, so am beyond relieved and happy about this! It was a smooth test overall, and I even managed to get the reverse around a corner manoeuvre right, so feel accomplished! To all of you who are feeling some of the frustration I felt through this process-- all I can say is that you WILL get there. I didn't believe others when they said it, but having gone through so much agony over this, and getting through it, I can assure you that if you persist, work on all the areas that have tripped you up in the past, and keep at it, you'll become such a good driver they'll have nothin' on you. Good luck, and thanks again to those of you who sent me needed encouragement!

Well done! I've got my 5th attempt in a couple of weeks and, I like you were, I'm fed up. For the last couple of tests I've only had 1 major fault and less than 3 minors so I really don't think I'm a bad driver, but I feel like I'm never going to pass. I think I'm definitely going to leave driving for a while if I fail the next test because it is just so expensive D:
Retaking the Test for the 4th time in May
Wish me Luck
Getting tired of failing with the financial strain :frown:

Any advice would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Briggsey96
Retaking the Test for the 4th time in May
Wish me Luck
Getting tired of failing with the financial strain :frown:

Any advice would be much appreciated :smile:

Good luck I passed last week so I can give u some tips. Believe me the best tip u can give you is talk with your examiner.. Talk about something.. Anything as it will cool you down and not feel like your in an intimidating environment. Honestly I was talking about my university choices and A Levels, and asked where she was from (she had an accent) and we just got chatting and I felt relaxed (don't get carried away though cause u might get distracted) and don't talk ALL the time.

I feel that if the examiner can see you having a conversation and driving at the same time they will be more impressed as you're multi tasking signs of a good driver.

90% of people fail due to nerves so the best thing to do is cool down (easier said than done I know) but if u drive smoothly and do no stupid mistakes, you'll pass. It's not that hard unless you make it hard.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone. I posted on this a couple of weeks ago, distraught after failing for the second time. I did my test for the third time yesterday and passed with only 3 minors! It makes me so sad reading all your posts about the stress and annoyance with failing cause I know exactly how you feel, i was in your position and wanted to stop just a fortnight ago! Now I've passed and I'm so happy I stuck with it and all the stress was worth it and now have a driving licence for life. So for all of you who feel this way, remember that if you stick with it, eventually you'll get there and the feeling will be so worth it and you'll feel so good about yourself. For the majority I dont think it's about being unable to drive, but just the nerves getting to you! It's hard to drive perfectly when you know the examiner is scrutinising your every move!! So stick with it and don't give up! You'll get there and then you never have to stress about it again and have a life of driving!! Good luck everyone and don't give up!! 😄
In February I failed my test with 4 minors and 2 serious :frown: So gutted as my drive before the test was perfect and my actual drive on the test was good too! I didn't even realise my first serious which was not looking over my shoulder when changing lanes in a roundabout (I think that was harsh personally). The second serious was for my turn in the road which I deserved to fail on because I stalled it like 4 times in a row when trying to do the reverse part uphill. Have my second test coming up soon so fingers crossed!
Original post by v1k2a3t4
In February I failed my test with 4 minors and 2 serious :frown: So gutted as my drive before the test was perfect and my actual drive on the test was good too! I didn't even realise my first serious which was not looking over my shoulder when changing lanes in a roundabout (I think that was harsh personally). The second serious was for my turn in the road which I deserved to fail on because I stalled it like 4 times in a row when trying to do the reverse part uphill. Have my second test coming up soon so fingers crossed!

First serious ridiculously harsh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spartz
First serious ridiculously harsh

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's ridiculous how non uniform driving examiners are! My friend told me how on her test she forgot which exit to take at the roundabout, remembered last minute and swerved into it-she passed first time! My actions didn't even affect anyone else either, the examiner said there was a white van behind me but he never said I caused it to slow down or anything. :frown:
Original post by Spartz
Good luck I passed last week so I can give u some tips. Believe me the best tip u can give you is talk with your examiner.. Talk about something.. Anything as it will cool you down and not feel like your in an intimidating environment. Honestly I was talking about my university choices and A Levels, and asked where she was from (she had an accent) and we just got chatting and I felt relaxed (don't get carried away though cause u might get distracted) and don't talk ALL the time.

I feel that if the examiner can see you having a conversation and driving at the same time they will be more impressed as you're multi tasking signs of a good driver.

90% of people fail due to nerves so the best thing to do is cool down (easier said than done I know) but if u drive smoothly and do no stupid mistakes, you'll pass. It's not that hard unless you make it hard.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the tips :smile: so glad I found this thread!
I have my driving test this Wednesday, it'll be my 2nd attempt. I failed my first attempt because my examiner wanted me to drive straight ahead and I was in the right lane instead of the left, when I changed lanes the car from behind almost hit me which resulted in a major. Hopefully Wednesday will be a lucky day :smile:
Failed my third attempt for pretty much running a red light, on the road leading back to the test centre -_-

And I hate having to cycle or take the bus everywhere.
(edited 9 years ago)
Failed my first attempt today :frown:
I was really nervous and actually thought I had passed when I got to the end!

I got 2 Serious majors and 4 minors!

Ready for the 'weird' part...
- 1 major for when doing my 3 point turn i did it in 7 (i was being very cautious) however he said that it should be done in 5 max, I thought thought was unreasonable!
- The second was on a 1 way road he said turn right and I stayed in the left lane,
I suppose i understand the second one more, but there were no cars and on the other one way roads I had gone in the correct lane

Now for something interesting ... On my minors 3 out of the 4 minors were for speed! I went 20 in an area simply because there were cars both sides and that was what my instructor told me to do, i really dont remember doing any other bad speeds! the other minor was for observation

I have to admit the examiner in my opinion was not particularly helpful, he refuted all my efforts to talk to him and when he was doing the debrief I asked him what road it was I had taken the wrong lane , He said "South Road" , I asked where that was and he was like - your instructor will show you before he rushed off and started speaking to the other instructors who were talking to there students (i was the first back)

All in all im not unhappy - I did better than I thought i would do as i was really nervous and scared however I just feel a bit disappointed but this is a thread for sharing experiences and this was mine!
Im going to book it ASAP and hopefully do better, I have lost the fear of the unknown and it it way less sophisticated than i expected , you literally go in , do it , come out! So better luck next time!
I failed my first attempt last week, mainly just from nerves. I wound myself up about getting the reverse around a corner & forgot to do all the correct observations.
Didn't like my examiner though, he was defo smug. Just booked another one, feel sick about it already! Woohoo...
Original post by Zoidburgers
Failed my first attempt today :frown:
I was really nervous and actually thought I had passed when I got to the end!

I got 2 Serious majors and 4 minors!

Ready for the 'weird' part...
- 1 major for when doing my 3 point turn i did it in 7 (i was being very cautious) however he said that it should be done in 5 max, I thought thought was unreasonable!

This wasn't unreasonable, it shows a lack of control and understanding for space.

Better luck next time though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys and girls,

Just thought I would leave a message. It's nearly been 2 years since I passed my test. I actually posted my same problems, nerves and pass comment on this thread, it was page 14 and its now page 143.

Just keep on trying. Its normal and usual that people are stressed/worried before a test, but believe me, you get plenty of independence when you get your first car.

Not to mention, everything you learn with your instructor will probably go out the window. I have had my car for 4 months now, and not once needed to parallel park, and you can do a turn in the road 100x if you wish.

Just relax and take it easy.

If you have any questions, quote me, and I will try and help.
I've had three lessons and whilst I enjoy it, it is the most intimidating thing ever.
Original post by Jiraya Sama
Hey guys and girls,

Just thought I would leave a message. It's nearly been 2 years since I passed my test. I actually posted my same problems, nerves and pass comment on this thread, it was page 14 and its now page 143.

Just keep on trying. Its normal and usual that people are stressed/worried before a test, but believe me, you get plenty of independence when you get your first car.

Not to mention, everything you learn with your instructor will probably go out the window. I have had my car for 4 months now, and not once needed to parallel park, and you can do a turn in the road 100x if you wish.

Just relax and take it easy.

If you have any questions, quote me, and I will try and help.

How long did it take you to revise for the theory?