The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Is Lancaster uni prestigious?

Do people think of Lancaster as a good uni? I know it's doing well on league tables but it's not in the Russell Group and I was wondering if people see it as a good uni or just an average one.
bump
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by BaudelaireLucky
Do people think of Lancaster as a good uni? I know it's doing well on league tables but it's not in the Russell Group and I was wondering if people see it as a good uni or just an average one.

Well I personally don't know a lot about the university but they are not the most prestigious yet seem to ask for higher grades than universities head an shoulders above them (in that given area). My course for example they want AAB but I got an offer from warwick and Leicester of ABB
Reply 3
I don't know about prestigious, but it definitely has it's merits. I think because it's smaller less people have heard of it, but it also gets carried by the management and maths departments.

Original post by Biochemist7
Well I personally don't know a lot about the university but they are not the most prestigious yet seem to ask for higher grades than universities head an shoulders above them (in that given area). My course for example they want AAB but I got an offer from warwick and Leicester of ABB

This is very true, they ask for AAB for my course in computer science when they're ranking quite low tbh. Not to mention I feel kinda lied to about the strength of the department, it's a bloody shambles and half the lecturers just want to do their research and give empty promises of help - even just now in the middle of a month of revision 2 weeks before exams I'm getting one-sentence replies from a lecturer who told us to email him if we have a question about revision. I told him I didn't understand an exam question on a past paper and all he said was "it clearly states [part I didn't understand]" as if that was ever going to help me. Our hardest module's final exam last year had a 60% pass rate, and when it gets to figures like that I think the university needs to look at itself rather than the students.

Kinda makes me think because it ranks so low for CS I could've waltzed in to an ex-poly that ranks higher and lecturers who actually care (All my friends at ex-polys have said their lecturers were better than their teachers in the amount they genuinely cared about their students succeeding).

Obviously not all the CS lecturers are bad, some are brilliant, but in general the department is a joke and although I love the place part of me wishes I went elsewhere. I don't think the rest of the departments are this bad, I've taken modules with LICA and the management school and they were 10 times better and more organised... Just this year there was a huge fuss because they set us a piece of coursework but only taught us how to do half of it...
Original post by Joshmj
I don't know about prestigious, but it definitely has it's merits. I think because it's smaller less people have heard of it, but it also gets carried by the management and maths departments.

This is very true, they ask for AAB for my course in computer science when they're ranking quite low tbh. Not to mention I feel kinda lied to about the strength of the department, it's a bloody shambles and half the lecturers just want to do their research and give empty promises of help - even just now in the middle of a month of revision 2 weeks before exams I'm getting one-sentence replies from a lecturer who told us to email him if we have a question about revision. I told him I didn't understand an exam question on a past paper and all he said was "it clearly states [part I didn't understand]" as if that was ever going to help me. Our hardest module's final exam last year had a 60% pass rate, and when it gets to figures like that I think the university needs to look at itself rather than the students.

Kinda makes me think because it ranks so low for CS I could've waltzed in to an ex-poly that ranks higher and lecturers who actually care (All my friends at ex-polys have said their lecturers were better than their teachers in the amount they genuinely cared about their students succeeding).

Obviously not all the CS lecturers are bad, some are brilliant, but in general the department is a joke and although I love the place part of me wishes I went elsewhere. I don't think the rest of the departments are this bad, I've taken modules with LICA and the management school and they were 10 times better and more organised... Just this year there was a huge fuss because they set us a piece of coursework but only taught us how to do half of it...

Any idea what the English department is like?
Reply 5
Original post by BaudelaireLucky
Any idea what the English department is like?

Got a friend who does English and he's never said anything bad about it, doubt anything can be as bad as the CS department so I wouldn't worry.
Reply 6
Not Russell group = not worth mentioning.
Original post by Namige
Not Russell group = not worth mentioning.

Haha you do realise universities such as York and Durham have just only recently attained membership. Were they not worth mentioning two years ago? :smile:
It's an odd case because it's been doing very well but you don't hear people talking about it much. Tbh I'd consider it one of the most underrated unis out there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
It's not prestigious by any means but it is certainly a good University.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello!

This thread has been totally derailed so I have tidied it up (and it's gone from 3 pages to 1). Please can we keep on topic and instead of responding to obvious trolls or pointing out that someone is trolling, just report it instead.

Thanks!

Beth
Uni Mod
I don't think the prestige of an institution really matters if you're going to be doing post grad. If just undergrad, then the name of the RG would help a little in attaining your first job.

Quick Reply