The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
There is literally no need for 2 unless doing surround or 4k, still pretty nice.
Would have probably have also been better to have held out for 880s :tongue:

Got dual 4k monitors in new setup, so went with 2. Will be game development so high spec needed. They should be future proofed for a while now :smile:
Original post by CodeJack
My second one is in the post too :3

I'm freed from my old 460 :biggrin:

Merged with the Tech Soc, which is more appropriate for this sort of thing than a separate thread :h: But yeah, very nice :teeth: I'm managing to resist upgrading GPUs since I'll most likely sell my desktop next year when I will (hopefully) go travelling and my 660 is still going very strong :smile:
Cheers man :smile:

660s are pretty decent and new still, will you be buying a new laptop when you go travelling?
Original post by CodeJack
Cheers man :smile:

660s are pretty decent and new still, will you be buying a new laptop when you go travelling?

Yep, although depending on what travelling eventually entails will decide if I get something gaming oriented. Option A is going to stop with relatives on either Australia or Florida (whoever will let me stay with them for longest :ahee:), I which case I'll probably get a 15" machine with a mid range GPU for when I get free time. Option B is interRailing around Europe, where I'll want minimal bulk and maximum battery life so I'd probably go for some flavour of MacBook Air. Budget after covering all the other expenses will be the main factor though, so I better start saving :P
http://wathifi.tumblr.com/

“Stereo hi-fi equipment sounds cleaner, crisper and more articulate. The dynamics are more forceful but there’s not a hint of exaggeration or excess.
We’ve certainly heard more dramatic-sounding mains cables before[…]
Mains cable. 100 quid.

“Everything is smooth and well-balanced, with a confident delivery that’s responsive and packed with subtlety, timing and detail.”
A shelf. A TWELVE HUNDRED QUID SHELF.

“This [$600] USB cable is simply revelatory in its combination of ease and refinement on one hand, and resolution and transparency on the other. Although capable of resolving the finest detail, Diamond USB has a relaxed quality that fosters deep musical involvement.” The winner of the 2013 TAS Editors’ Choice award

I like this site.
Original post by Chrosson

Made the mistake of navigating to some of the linked articles and reading the comments. Dear lord.
Today I discovered BT uses IP address sharing. Which explains why forwarding has been completely broken.
Quite annoyed...at least I can opt out.
Original post by G8D
Any idea why I can connect to my mac and windows laptops using Chrome Remote Desktop but i can't do it between the mac and windows (in either direction)? What could cause that? I've tried disabling firewalls but nothing changes.

Can you ping between them?
Original post by G8D
I don't know how to tell that. I've managed to get a connection working but have run into another problem.

As in opening command prompt/terminal (on windows/mac) and typing `ping 192.168.1.24` (replacing the ip address with the ip address of the other computer.
Usually the first step in diagnosing connection issues.

I can connect between them but I can only actually control in one direction (Windows > Mac, the opposite of what I want). When I try to view my Windows laptop in Chrome on my Mac all I get is the live-feed of my desktop, mouse/keyboard don't work.

I can connect to and control both Mac and PC independently from my phone so everything should be working correctly...

What remote desktop client are you using on your mac? Have you tried an alternative?
Hello people :hello:

Haven't been on TSR in a few months, but now I'm finished uni for the year I'll be around more frequently :tongue:

Also ordered a WD Black 1TB (single platter version) earlier, should be here tomorrow and I'm going to do a clean install of win 7 on the SSD while I'm at it.
anyone here good with recovering gmail accounts?
*Joins thread*
Original post by G8D
Upgraded to 152Mb/s Virgin Broadband :woo:

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/give_it_to_me_stephen_colbert.gif
Apparently people on eBay are happy to pay £85 for a 7 year old Xbox 360 with a broken disk drive that I initially listed for £20. Fine by me.

Original post by G8D
Is anyone able to vouch for cheap third party Xbox 360 wireless USB receivers? Can't really stomach paying £19 for one. Just want to know if they work ok.

Also anyone know if they work fine with Macs and the unofficial tattiebogle drivers?

I'm guessing you mean the wireless controller receiver, rather than the USB network adaptors used with older 360s? Can't vouch either way personally, I'm afraid.
Comments here are rather amusing, it's just like the Titan Z, people are all "ermahgerd, that's totally over priced, nobody needs that, you can get like a bazillions times better for gaming for 10% of the price. I don't know what productivity is, only gameing huehuehue"

"ermahgerd, why is intel charging $1k for an 8 core CPU when AMD does it for so much less, it definately doesn't fit in with their extreme edition pricing, are you high intel!"
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by G8D
Can't get my TV to tune my SNES properly (finds a channel but it's all black) and my NES has flashing red light :sad:

Blow in it. That always used to fix mine.
:sad:

Aye, because you can hack them and still have them run on Xbox Live.

Original post by Jammy Duel
Comments here are rather amusing, it's just like the Titan Z, people are all "ermahgerd, that's totally over priced, nobody needs that, you can get like a bazillions times better for gaming for 10% of the price. I don't know what productivity is, only gameing huehuehue"

"ermahgerd, why is intel charging $1k for an 8 core CPU when AMD does it for so much less, it definately doesn't fit in with their extreme edition pricing, are you high intel!"

n00bs. :colonhash:
Bidding wars are always good news when you're the one selling. :lol: Nicely done!

Original post by mikeyd85
Blow in it. That always used to fix mine.

Indeed it does, though in actuality it's probably not a great idea long-term given that you'd be blowing moisture into the cartridge as well. This...

...is the way to do it. :yep:

Really sorry to hear about the problems with the consoles. Have they been working properly in the recent past? I've been wanting to add a SNES and NES to my collection for a little while so I know that it'll be painful for yours to seem to be dying.

My current dilemma, since discovering that I'm now eligible for a subsidised smartphone via my employer, is which of the Galaxy S5 and One M8 to go for (the Xperia Z2 could also be an option, but I'm not overly keen on it at the moment). I'm not as enamoured with the One's design as many and am leaning towards the S5... just now trying to work out whether there are any drawbacks to My Magazine over Blinkfeed that I'd find significant.

Related to that as a minor point, has anyone seen here the gold S5 in person?
Original post by mikeyd85
:sad:

Aye, because you can hack them and still have them run on Xbox Live.

n00bs. :colonhash:

Oh I know it still works and is still usable even with the broken drive, but I'm sure you could probably get one of the newer slimmer 360s for under £100 right now. I'm not even selling it with extra controllers, just the network adaptor (built into newer models) and two old games. Still, not gonna complain, once my eBay sales clear PayPal I can buy a new DSLR lens :teeth:
Oooh what're you planning on getting?

I'd like a new lens to replace my kit lens but I rarely even use the kit lens now so it'd be a waste of money.

Latest