The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Cathie86
There are not quotas!!!! An examiner who I knew, nothing to do with his work, said that there completely and uterally are not any quotas!! Has anyone actually seen data which says that more people fail at the end of the day/week/month? Maybe if more people really do fail later in the day its because they have sat at home all day worrying and working themselves up about it and worrying about quotas!!

I would say that it might be worth avoiding rush hour times for tests, some people prefer them as you might spend a fair bit of it crawling in traffic jams, but personally I find there are more idiots on the road rushing to/from work who are likely to pull out in front of you etc.

Have a look at all these links, no quotas 1 no quotas 2 no quotas 3 no quotas 4 etc etc etc....

Sorry, it just winds me up when people start or carry on 'rumours' which they have no proof for, but which will worry other people. Taking your driving test is stressfull enough as it is without believing that you will fail because you are taking it on a friday afternoon at the end of a month etc!

Thanks for clearing that up, nothing for people who are about to take their tests to worry about now, well to do with "Quotas", and failing if the test is after a certain time anyway. :yy:
^^ thanks! Its just something which grates on me, when people carry on rumors that have no proof, but which are going to worry people!
Reply 62
I failed my driving test I had 6 minors but the examiner failed me on reverse round a corner nipped the kerb just a lil bit and was failed cos of that
I dont believe there are quotas either, its a total rumour to scare people, and also one people use as an excuse if they fail! people only get majors if they are putting someone else at risk, for example clipping the kerb is a major because that could have been another car/pedestrian etc. i think it is really hard to pass, theres so much against you, but you have to keep a clear head! If you are a safe driver then you will pass! But it does depend on the traffic conditions, often in busy traffic other drivers cause you to panic and do something wrong, or you get nervous because you're not sure what you're meant to do in the situation! In my test this stupid bus decided to stop at the bus stop for five MINUTES blockin the whole side of the road, and cars constantly came in the other direction meaning i cldnt try and overtake! i had to sit there for fve minutes worrying tht i shld be trying to get by!! ah well! i did the right thing in the end, always choose the safest option! never change lanes or anything!!
I just failed my 2nd test :mad:
The examiner failed me before we even left the test centre car park, because he had to tell me to watch out for the fence on a bay park. (which i thought was a safe distance away from the car)
Apart from that I only got 3 minors :rolleyes:
Didn't know I'd failed till the end of the test
I failed yesterday! 3 minors as well! :-( I pulled out at a roundabout when a car was coming! They are my nemesis. I hate them :-( It's the cost of it that's sooo annoying and the long wait for another test! xx
Reply 66
damnit just failed, 5 minors one major. Busy road and I accidently pulled out in front of an oncoming car. I'll rebook it ASAP. On a side note my instructor took me to Macdonals on my pre test lesson and we had a drink! Unusual method :tongue:
Reply 67
You definately get a better chance if you choose a quiet time during the week. I had my tests at 11am on a tuesday and wednesday respectively.

You want to avoid rush hour and also school pick up time, busyness is always harder to drive in.
Reply 68
4th time UNLUCKY!!!

How i failed;

Ok guys, the test was nearly over (in oxford by the way) we were on our way back to the test centre. Then the examiner decides to go on a detour to the most notorious roundabout in oxford. I was at the roundabout and i needed to get off at the final exit (right). A car was coming round signalling to turn into the exit i wanted to go into, so i got ready. Released the clutch and held the car at biting point. The guy who was signalling wasnt actually turning he must have left his signal on, so my examiner panicked and used the dual controls and braked. I said what are you doing i wasnt even going to go, he said he wasnt sure and needed to be safe, i said youve failed me for that havnt you - he said just get back to the test centre. And guess what, he did fail me, one major because of that so called "mistake".

5th time lucky.

I am actually so unlucky when it comes to this ive changed instructors like 5 times. Something always happens just b4 my tests. One retired and i changed cars at the last minute and most recently my instructor did his back in and i had to move from a diesel peugeot 206 to a petrol 307 within 4 days of my test. Im seriously thinking about giving up.

My insturctor charges £50 for an hour lesson before and her waiting for me, and the test itself is £50..!!!

Im so screwed.

I Will now go and kill myelf to get my mind off it!!!!!!

Dippy..
Reply 69
p_dippy

My insturctor charges £50 for an hour lesson before and her waiting for me, and the test itself is £50..!!!

£50 for an hour lesson????!!:eek:
WTF:confused:
Reply 70
£50 for an hour b4 my test and the use of the car on my test. She takes me home afterwards aswell.

The frustrating thing is my mom bought me a bmw 3 series for my 19th and i really wanna get out there and drive it, but dsa wont pass me!!!!!!!! :frown:
Reply 71
p_dippy
£50 for an hour b4 my test and the use of the car on my test. She takes me home afterwards aswell.

The frustrating thing is my mom bought me a bmw 3 series for my 19th and i really wanna get out there and drive it, but dsa wont pass me!!!!!!!! :frown:

Woah, £50 for the hour before and the use of the car for the test?! Thats quite steep :s:

Hey, you will pass, don't give up, the next one you will pass, and then you will be cruising in ur beemer before you know it :yy:

Just don't give up, you will regret it.. :frown:
Reply 72

failed yet again!!!really disheartened it since I got exactly the same serious!!!:frown: actually thought the examiner was going to pass me, oh well!:frown::frown::frown:...lol I'm sticking to cycling no tests there!:d
Reply 73
Zakatu
I tried to pull away after one of the manouvers in reverse. By accident because 1st and reverse were next to each other. I realised it very quickly and put it in the right gear. And i just got a minor for that.

I did that in a mock test the other day (my instructor does it all properly - proper route, in silence with proper sheet) and I got a serious for it.
Reply 74
i failed my driving test a few days ago. i got 1 major and 2 minors. the major was for driving through unmarked crossroads in the last 5 mins test:mad: so p****d off.:mad:
Reply 75
the bribing the examiner thread has been closed down!....haha the thought has crossed my mind in a light hearted manner, a few Monopoly notes will come in handy!:biggrin:
Reply 76
I'm sorry I just have to rub it in here that I passed by Basic Theory Test, Final Theory Test AND Practical Test all on the 1st try. :biggrin:

I live in Singapore and the chances of passing all on the 1st attempt is probably approximately 10%; felt really fortunate and blessed.

Persevere though and always focus; I'm sure you'll all succeed.
Reply 77
emzilee
I did that in a mock test the other day (my instructor does it all properly - proper route, in silence with proper sheet) and I got a serious for it.

To be fair, i diddnt move more than a couple of inches. and was never going to touch the kerb or move out into the road. I was doing my blind spot checks and brought the car to the bite point and noticed the car seemed to be turning the wrong way. I tried turning the wheel only to find it got worse, then realised i must still be in reverse.

As i say, the wheels probably moved about 6 inches max. and i was safe throughout... easy mistake to make when your nervous and driving a car with a different gearbox. perhaps the examiner gave me the benefit of the doubt?

it would have been harsh to fail me for that.
This is getting ridiculous, failed my 4th test on friday and this time I really deserved to pass, 1 major and 4 minors. The major was an absolute joke on this occasion. I was coming up to a pedestrian crossing and a truck covered the other side completely, i slowed down looked underneath it and the other side and continued. He claimed I was going too fast through it, and someone could have come round the side, if that was the case why didn't he use the dual controls? To be honest, after this, I'm starting to believe the theories of quotas etc as it was such a stupid reason to fail me. It feels like a complete lottery and knowing my luck I'll probably stuff up the next one. He actually said three times that it was a very competent drive. Tosser.
Reply 79
naddles
the bribing the examiner has been closed down!....haha the thought has crossed my mind in a light hearted manner, a few Monopoly notes will come in handy!:biggrin:

hahaha!

I'm from Australia (i assume we have similar roads to yous maybe?) and i just failed my 2nd attempt. It's a killer. Not only failing but:

1. the loooong wait til the next test (usually a month seems ages from then). Knowing that you just wanna go back and try again.

2. the people that are testing at the same time as you, come back smiling with their examiners while youre stuck in line waiting for a booking for a re-test.

3. seeing younger probationary drivers on the road when you're still learning :frown: at times it seems embarrassing.

oh yeah, and the feeling you have the moment you know youve failed - when your hands are still clenched onto the steering wheel and you just feel your confidence sink below you. And you're just sitting there thinking it's been one big waste of effort, time and money. Then you have to go back and face everyone (friends, parents) and give them the news.

I know, you feel like crap for the rest of the week. It's like downtime.

Latest