The Student Room Group

How often do you clean the inside of your car?

I'm watching Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners, and they said that some people only clean the inside of their car once a year. they made it sound like a bad thing.

But Rich only gets cleaned once a year, on his birthday. That's also when he gets new car mats and a new air freshener.

I don't make too much mess though, as I don't tend to eat in my car or have a party or anything. When I do get mess in my car (Custard throws a lot of seed) I clean it straight away anyway.

Boris' car is a completely different story. Last time I was in it I found a mouldy cake case, and it's always full of food wrappers.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Juno
I'm watching Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners, and they said that some people only clean the inside of their car once a year. they made it sound like a bad thing.

But Rich only gets cleaned once a year, on his birthday. That's also when he gets new car mats and a new air freshener.

I don't make too much mess though, as I don't tend to eat in my car or have a party or anything. When I do get mess in my car (Custard throws a lot of seed) I clean it straight away anyway.

Boris' car is a completely different story. Last time I was in it I found a mouldy cake case, and it's always full of food wrappers.

Lies. Your car is full of stuff that shouldn't be there.

The only thing that should be in a car on a regular basis is:

Tools / Sundry Spares
Map
Copy of Insurance / Breakdown assistance docs
Vehicle handbook
Brolly
Blanket
First Aid kit
Fire extinguisher (if you're paranoid)

Anything else is just extra weight that you're paying to carry around with you.
Reply 2
Original post by JC.

Tools / Sundry Spares
Map
Vehicle handbook
Brolly
Blanket
First Aid kit

I've removed the shoes:mad:
Too often.
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
I've removed the shoes:mad:

If by that you mean the small branch of clarkes that's residing in your boot...
Have a cookie. :wink:
I generally keep the car clean, well the insides at least, kind of given up on keeping the exterior clean as it is black and seems to be a never ending task to keep it clear of water marks.

Rarely ever carry anything extra in the car that the manufacturer didn't put in there other than some gear that I may need on that particular day.

As for cleaning the interior. I dust the floor mats everyday as I often go to building sites.
I have it hoovered every weekend, just remove the mats and hoover the carpet and give the steering and controls a wipe.
I have the seats, dash, carpets and headliners steam cleaned every month and have the vents cleaned as well.
Once every 3 months I have my seats waxed.

Admittedly these days other than dusting the mats I rarely ever do it myself.
Rarely.

But that said, apart from the accumulating dust, the interior is pretty much spotless. That's because I don't do anything to let it get dirty in the first place.
Reply 7
Original post by JC.
If by that you mean the small branch of clarkes that's residing in your boot...
Have a cookie. :wink:

Clarkes don't sell crocs :confused:
I try to clean the inside every weekend I have free, get new air freshener every month and usually clean outside every 2 weeks but atm gone about 2 or so months without cleaning it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
My car is leather, so I give it a quick wipe down every other week.
Reply 10
Whenever it needs it. Every couple of months at a guess. I don't leave food wrappers or anything in my car so it stays very tidy. Just needs a quick hoover of the carpets and seats. May wipe the dash etc if I have the inclination (rarely).
Usually once a month
Same as dhr90, i don't usually leave anything that doesnt need to be there, so my car is pretty tidy and all its needs is a hoover and a wipe over the dashboard every now and then....when i can be bothered to that is, but its normally once a month.
(edited 9 years ago)
The mx5 is my pride and joy, so it gets cleaned every few days atm.. I've got a horse as well, so there's always mud or haylege on the mats so it's worth hoovering.
Reply 14
Original post by muchoonellykins
The mx5 is my pride and joy, so it gets cleaned every few days atm.. I've got a horse as well, so there's always mud or haylege on the mats so it's worth hoovering.

I'm really tempted to get an MX5 at the moment, even if it would be wildly impractical for me. Which version do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90
I'm really tempted to get an MX5 at the moment, even if it would be wildly impractical for me. Which version do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got a 1994 mk1, a sucker for the pop up headlights:redface: It's pretty impractical for me too - horses, dogs etc, but it's so worth it. Never had so much fun in a car before!

IMAG4119 by jaggysnake, on Flickr
Original post by JC.

Tools / Sundry Spares
Map
Vehicle handbook
Brolly
Blanket
First Aid kit

Don't forget emergency flapjacks in the drivers armrest !
I've got a 1994 mk1, a sucker for the pop up headlights:redface: It's pretty impractical for me too - horses, dogs etc, but it's so worth it. Never had so much fun in a car before!

What's so fun about it ? I don't think it's 0-60 is particularly impressive ?
Probably once or twice a year for a proper clean.

But I shake the mats and empty the storage bits in the door more often. Usually if I have rubbish then I take it when I get out. Small stuff just gets chucked in the door container bits and removed every now and then.
When the sound of energy drink cans rattling around becomes unbearable.
Reply 19

Looks like a tidy one! If I get one it is likely to be the latest version. Won't happen until my cars MOT is up in November though. Hopefully winter will drive the price down a bit! However I suspect the lack of space for mountain bikes and golf clubs is going to make it a deal breaker for me.

Original post by plantronics
Don't forget emergency flapjacks in the drivers armrest !

What's so fun about it ? I don't think it's 0-60 is particularly impressive ?

There is more to having fun in a car than simply how fast it gets you to 60mph.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending