The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LiamMc96
I think you get allocated your room number the day you move in :/ where is it you accepted ?:smile:

Aw that's rubbish, I've got a friend going to a different uni and she already knows who she's sharing a flat with! Student apartments :smile: are you sorted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Does anyone know what the shared rooms are like at Glasgow's Cairncross accommodation?
Reply 2022
Where is the best place for a first year to stay?
How do you know what size of flat?! All I know is that I'm in murano, no idea if I'm in a big or small flat and if it mixed or what >_<
I accepted my offer of accom at Firhill Court a few weeks ago and it was my second choice, which is what I wanted in the end woo! Anyone else staying there? I can't wait to find out who I'm sharing with, roll on September!
Reply 2025
Anybody got Murano Street large flats 'the Hall'? I've finally accepted :tongue:

Also seen a few people asking about the £450 prepayment, I was able to extend mines to the end of the month but they said no to installments etc
Original post by Weegie
Anybody got Murano Street large flats 'the Hall'? I've finally accepted :tongue:

see you there :smile:
Original post by Ewkaryote
How do you know what size of flat?! All I know is that I'm in murano, no idea if I'm in a big or small flat and if it mixed or what >_<

If it doesn't say large you're in small. And if you didn't request single sex it'll likely be mixed. Also, I don't think any of the large flats are single sex (at least from the ones I've been too, which is a fair portion of them.)
Original post by Weegie

The large flats can be hit or miss considering IMO they consist of the best and the worst flats (condition wise) in Murano. Also they can be disgusting. You should have seen our big fridge until a few days ago when my flatmates mum came and showed us the wonders of bleach. (So much mould, boke.) And the cleaning god. We get weekly cleaners and we have to clean for them coming, which took up about an hour of everyone's time one night a week, which pretty much means no one went out that night of the week. I genuinely have went out once on our cleaning day through the full year.

Large > Small though. More fun, gets creepy if you're alone though (like I am the now :cry2:)
I've just accepted the accommodation offer for murano large flats, anyone else there as well? :smile:
Reply 2030
Hey I had a problem choosing too but got it in the end. Summary:
Murano- biggest site, famous for parties and has the biggest flats but it is very basic
Queen Margaret- nicer and seems more like a home. Ensuite. Is very limited and think they are all gone.
Firhill- close to murano, bit of a walk to uni like murano but similar to QM in terms of rooms and bathroom facilities. Quieter but easy to visit murano for parties. Next to a football stadium tho.
Cairncross- similar to a youth hostel in terms of planning. V close
Winton drive- beside QM, not as nice
Kevingate (I think)- near cairncross, big as murano tho your own room etc. Mostly for postgrads or later years
Original post by erika_lub
Is there someone who is not going to live in the university halls and is looking for a flat?

I am! Let the hunt begin... :tongue:
Hi if anyone who doesnt want halls and would prefer a more laid back and quiet flat.. My flatmate and i our looking for a new flatmate.. Its a double room, rent is 285 a month plus around 30 quid for bills dependin on new electric deals and internet deals we may get.. Its around a 30 min walk from glasgow cal uni but has great transport links.. I get the train to uni.. Not even 10 mins and ur at uni :smile: i can give more info if anyone is interested. We are 2 girls in our early to mid 20s.
Reply 2033
Hi everyone, which one of the accommodations is considered to be the best for first year students? I'm moving to Glasgow this September (never been there before) and I'm having a hard time deciding where to live... I thought a student apartment would be nice, although it seems a bit separated from the other accommodations, but I would love to know more about it. Thank you very much in advance!:smile:
Just about to confirm my offer for Firhill and can't wait for September to roll around. Only nine weeks to go!
Original post by brogancunningham
My first and second choice are cairncross! I received unconditional placement so hopefully will hear back soon :smile:

I've just been offered Cairncross twin room which was my first choice :smile:
Original post by 0404343m
Most people in Cairncross have to share, statistically. Im not sure what they'd do if you said you didnt want to share at all, but by the end of the year, quite a few people into private accom or back home, so there is considerably less people sharing- apparently, most people like it by the end of it, even if they didn't at the start. At the end of my time in Murano, there was only 2/5 left in my flat, I don't know where they all go, since the dropout rates only about 1 in 8 first years. No subdivision means you arent split into flats, everyone is off the one corridor. Each kitchen is to about 14 people, but they are much bigger than the flat kitchens. Any halls will be noisy, but I have seen Murano since its been refurbished, and it was pretty nice. If cairncross hasn't been done up since I was last in there (around early 06), then Murano is a bit posher as it stands.

I was wary about applying to Cairncross because of the sharing room thing, but when it comes down to it, you put down whether or not you want a "Single," "Shared," or "Large Single." So, theoretically, if you don't put "Shared," down on your six choices you won't have to. It's worth a shot, as the location is fantastic compared to the other halls. The social scene is less than that at Murano, so I guess it's what you want out of your halls!

Cairncross's rooms, kitchens and bathrooms haven't been done up! It's a kitchen to 12 people and a bathroom: people ratio of about 1:4. But the common room has been renovated and will be open to students from September 2014. :smile:
Original post by Claudmood
I've just been offered Cairncross twin room which was my first choice :smile:

Ooh, I'm at Cairncross in a large, single room! What is it that you're studying? :smile:
Original post by Hnanana
Ooh, I'm at Cairncross in a large, single room! What is it that you're studying? :smile:

Psychology MA :smile: what about you?
Murano large flats for me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending