The Student Room Group

English grammar and vocabulary: quick questions thread

Scroll to see replies

I would use full stops to break the sentences up. Try not to have more than 10 words in a sentence. Complex sentences/paragraphs without commas or full stops will confuse your reader so although you might know what you mean they won't necessarily. Sorry all - just realised I was repling to a question posted in 2008 (DUH!!). The thing about 10/12 words per sentence is still relevant though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Which sentence is correct and why?

1. I worked in an office for a week's experience.

2. I worked in an office for a weeks experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Undisclosed 15
Which sentence is correct and why?

1. I worked in an office for a week's experience.

2. I worked in an office for a weeks experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Say

I worked in an office for a week's worth of experience.
What is the right usage of the concept here?

1.) There is going to be fights.

2.) There are going to be fights.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Say

I worked in an office for a week's worth of experience.

I am not writing the sentence. It is on a letter but uses my name instead of 'I' and I want to see if the letter has a gramatical error or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alifleih
What is the right usage of the concept here?

1.) There is going to be fights.

2.) There are going to be fights.

2 is correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Undisclosed 15

It is present continuous. So should not is agree with going​?
Original post by alifleih
It is present continuous. So should not is agree with going​?

'There are going to be fights' - plural

'There is going to be a fight' - singular
Hey guys. How would you use "delusions of grandeur" in a sentence?

You have delusions of grandeur.
Joe has delusions of grandeur.

Would the above be correct?
Original post by loloway
Hey guys. How would you use "delusions of grandeur" in a sentence?

You have delusions of grandeur.
Joe has delusions of grandeur.

Would the above be correct?

Both are correct.
Can anyone tell me whehter it makes difference when I use the verb to try instead of to attempt and the noun try instead of attempt? is it no matter which of them I use?
I would appreciate a nice rule governing the usage of "need to be" and "needs to be" :biggrin:
Original post by Kallisto
Can anyone tell me whehter it makes difference when I use the verb to try instead of to attempt and the noun try instead of attempt? is it no matter which of them I use?

Not entirely sure, but I think (in the verb position) they're interchangeable to an extent, i.e. it would be acceptable to use both in many contexts: e.g. 'I will try to arrive in time'/'I will attempt to arrive in time'. They have very similar definitions in the dictionary. However, while they both make sense but 'attempt' sounds a bit overly formal and 'try' can sound too informal in certain contexts.

Can also be a bit interchangeable with noun position: 'It was a good try' or 'it was a good attempt'. However, you couldn't really say 'in a try to', whereas 'in an attempt to.....' would make complete sense in a sentence.
Original post by RedArrow
I would appreciate a nice rule governing the usage of "need to be" and "needs to be" :biggrin:

'Need to be' - Plural

'Needs to be' - Singular

E.g: They need to be or He needs to be.
Original post by Haushinka13
x

As the verbs seems to be interchangeable, I would use the verb 'to try' in case of doubt. Is this advisable for you?
Original post by Kallisto
As the verbs seems to be interchangeable, I would use the verb 'to try' in case of doubt. Is this advisable for you?

I do think that 'attempt' is more formal, but 'try' fits into most contexts, so yes, I think that sounds fine. :smile:
Original post by Haushinka13
I do think that 'attempt' is more formal, but 'try' fits into most contexts, so yes, I think that sounds fine. :smile:

Fine! And what about the verb to spare? its the archaic verb of to save, but I wonder whether there are cases in English in which this archaic verb is used.
Does a comma splice only occur while joining two independent clauses?

Like this:

1)I went to the shops, I got myself a new bag.

Can a comma splice still occur in a sentence with three or more clauses, like
this?

2) Many businesses will require new and improved equipment, to enable that every task is carried out finer, considering this will only be an advantage to the businesses' overall performance.

3) Although many people prefer smoking, some people disagree with smoking as it's a huge, life-threatening risk, avoiding cigarettes may be beneficial for many.

This is how I would use a comma with three clauses in one sentence . Let me know if there is an error of my comma usage.

When I have three or more linked thoughts in a sentence I do get confused while using a comma, and whether I have to put a coordinating conjunction and comma after every though that comes to mind.
Hey English speakers, what is the more proper word in English? 'free time' or 'leisure time', or to precise: what is more common?
Some one please check out my thread...stressing :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending