The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

What happens if you fail an exam?

Scroll to see replies

Eyeofatiger
What happens if you just pass 2, due to poor exam technique (but get an average of more than 120?) Must you take a year out? Isn't it your choice whether you continue into second year?

No you would be contacted by the Student Progress Panel to discuss your situation.

Case study here: http://www2.lse.ac.uk/intranet/staff/teachingAtLSE/departmentalTutorAndAcademicAdviserHandbook/section2/211.aspx
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 61
to take on six modules is actually pretty hard. if you were to be in this situation i think it would be wise to actually take a year out and find out where you went wrong.
Reply 62
So, in this case as above, we will need to retake just the 2 modules that we have failed ? or 4 modules again during the next academic year ?
of course just the 2 modules
Reply 64
So, do you think it's really wise to take a year out ? Is this going to be a waste of time ? and so that shows we don't even need to be in the school throughout the year except during exam period ? Or do you think it is better to pay for tuition and go for the classes and lectures for the courses you have failed ?
Reply 65
What does this mean:

The degree shall be capped at 'pass' where a candidate has unredeemed fails in three papers.

Sorry for bad english
Reply 66
roomba
What does this mean:

The degree shall be capped at 'pass' where a candidate has unredeemed fails in three papers.

Sorry for bad english

It means if you failed 3 modules and didn't pass them at your 2nd or 3rd attempt (or if you have 3 fails in 3rd year) then the highest grade you can get is a Pass. Basically, at the end of your degree they look whether you have 3 fails which are outstanding.
Reply 67
Sorry for the bump of an old thread but this is pretty important: results come out o the 15th of July, I'm panicking because I believe I have failed 2 exams. Could I repeat second year, with a new set of module choices? Or do I take the year out and repeat the two failed exams?
Original post by faithxfaye
Sorry for the bump of an old thread but this is pretty important: results come out o the 15th of July, I'm panicking because I believe I have failed 2 exams. Could I repeat second year, with a new set of module choices? Or do I take the year out and repeat the two failed exams?

As far as I'm aware if you fail >1 module you're required to retake the year automatically with repeat teaching. That said there is a possibility to argue your case and come to some sort of resolution with the panel that deals with fails/retakes etc and opt to just retake the exams if you can convince them otherwise (I think).

I don't think you can alter your module choices if you have to repeat second year, at least, I don't know anybody that's done so and I know a fair few people that have had to repeat various years.

Hope that helps.
Reply 69
Original post by Outsanity
As far as I'm aware if you fail >1 module you're required to retake the year automatically with repeat teaching. That said there is a possibility to argue your case and come to some sort of resolution with the panel that deals with fails/retakes etc and opt to just retake the exams if you can convince them otherwise (I think).

I don't think you can alter your module choices if you have to repeat second year, at least, I don't know anybody that's done so and I know a fair few people that have had to repeat various years.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, well I will just have to wait and see...I know a fair few people who interrupted their studies and failed various years. Second year is hard.

EDIT: Exam results went far better than I anticipated, it went really well actually. Now onto 3rd year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Outsanity

Hope that helps.

It is completely garbled and wrong,. Outsanity is a very good adviser Why do people on TSR give advice when they do not know the answer, especially when it is actually found on the LSE website. I am sure some anthtropologist or sociologist should study this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending