The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by engdan
I'm sure you lot get this all the time but:

I've got a group interview at Tesco's tomorrow for a 'Personal Shopper' role

I've never had a group interview before so I don't know at all what to expect.

Could anyone who's been along to one recently offer any advice?

Cheers

I had a group interview a few weeks ago. The best advice I could give is to just relax and try to answer first for a couple of the questions and maintain eye contact when speaking.

Good luck :smile:
Hi, sorry for any repetitiveness in relation to other questions. I've recently been offered an interview for a role I believe to be on checkouts. This is a group interview and they said should last from 12:30 - 14:30. Has anyone got any tips for Tesco specific group interviews and also any idea as to why it would last this long? Thank you.
At my interview they showed me round the department that I'd be working on (checkouts) which took a while. My interview wasn't in a group though so I'm not sure what would happen in the actual interview room!
Original post by emknowsaunicorn
Yeah, at my store people either do 9 hour shifts so have a 90 minute break or a 7.5 hour shift and have a half hour break. You can't ask for less of a break, it's the law if you're there for 9 hours that you have that amount of break. If there are only 9 hour shifts, then you're stuck with 90 mins.

It's not the law at all -- legally you are only entitled to 20 minutes if you work more than 6 hours, so 20 minutes would also be your statutory minimum on a 9 hour shift. However, companies are free to give more than this if they wish (i.e. add to statutory rights with contractual rights), which you would have signed in agreement with in your handbook or contract.

Tesco's break policies are therefore contractual and non-negotiable even though it is above the statutory minimum.
I want to apply at Tesco's but one of my family members work at Tesco's and they get shouted at & abused by their manager. So I just want to ask this:

If I get a job at Tesco's and I don't like the job because of the people, how long will it take for me to leave the job? Is it just like you hand in your resignation and that's it?
Original post by HamzaH1996
I want to apply at Tesco's but one of my family members work at Tesco's and they get shouted at & abused by their manager. So I just want to ask this:

If I get a job at Tesco's and I don't like the job because of the people, how long will it take for me to leave the job? Is it just like you hand in your resignation and that's it?

You have to give notice of one week. So you could leave a week after handing in your letter of resignation.

I would strongly advise your family member to talk to the personnel manager at their store if they feel like they are getting treated unfairly.
Original post by No.666
You have to give notice of one week. So you could leave a week after handing in your letter of resignation.

I would strongly advise your family member to talk to the personnel manager at their store if they feel like they are getting treated unfairly.

The managers are the ones who are the jerks and treat her unfairly. So this is why I was asking my question.
Reply 1167
Why do Tesco Managers think they are gods gift to retail. I hate Tesco employees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone currently applying for a student transfer? I applied over Christmas when it was just a form but now we have to use this newfangled 'Tesco Careers' website and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it, and I NEED to do it ASAP as the application close soon and I don't want to be stuck in unemployment from now until I start placement over the summer!!!
Original post by Gloriaaa106
Is anyone currently applying for a student transfer? I applied over Christmas when it was just a form but now we have to use this newfangled 'Tesco Careers' website and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it, and I NEED to do it ASAP as the application close soon and I don't want to be stuck in unemployment from now until I start placement over the summer!!!

I don't work for Tesco but it appears as though this is the website to use http://www.studentsattesco.com/
Reply 1170
Hi, I have an informal 30 minute job interview at my local Tesco express tomorrow. I have also had a recent interview at sainsburys where I had to complete a series of tests on a DVD. Does anyone know if Tesco is similar? As I didn't get the job due to slightly lower points :frown:
what
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1172
Had an interview friday before last and they said they would contact via email if its a rejection and a call if I've got the job, I've had neither.

Should I ring?
Hello all I done my first week of tesco o. Tills, Sunday is hell but the pay is the only thing I'm looking forward to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lifeislong
Hello all I done my first week of tesco o. Tills, Sunday is hell but the pay is the only thing I'm looking forward to

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does anyone work nights?

What are night like as I current work during the day?
Hello all Tesco people :smile: Do you get paid extra for working on a Sunday? Cleaners, who are from another company, currently get no extra money for working Sunday or on bank holidays, which is a little sad :frown:
Reply 1176
Hi everyone, I've been working at a tesco express store for just over a week now and I'm a little confused about what I get paided for Sundays. So I was wondering if anyone knew the answer.

I've heard since I work in a express store I only get an extra pound an hour compared to the usual time and a half, in the handbook I was given it mentions nothing about different Sunday pay for those working in express stores so I'm a bit confused which I get for Sundays. I'm trying to work out how much I will get paid so I can tell them if it turned out I got paided incorrectly.

I'd appreciate if anyone knows the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello!

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how much Tesco pay for a position stacking shelves (on the dairy section if that makes any difference...) for over 21s at a larger store? I stupidly forgot to ask at my interview despite it being one of the most crucial questions!

Also could anyone tell me anything about a tesco induction day? I'm scheduled to be in all day for mine and was wondering what to expect! Will it be paid or?

How does USDAW provide protection from bullying within the workplace?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Katieh007
How does USDAW provide protection from bullying within the workplace?

Through informal discussions with managers on your behalf conducts by your Union Rep (who is a fellow Tesco employee that also volunteers for the Union).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending