The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Business at Hull

Just wondering who else is going to be studying Business (or management etc.) at Hull this September? (grades all being well and that). Also, if there's anybody who is already studying the subject, let us know what it's like!

I looked around the school on Wednesday and loved the place :smile:

Would just like to meet people who might be on my course in September! :biggrin:
im ment to be taking business at hull and im staying at pacific courts. i still havnt been to the main campus yet. whats it like?
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm studying Business and staying at Reckitt Hall x
Reply 3
Does anyone know if they give you an idea of books to buy beforehand. I am confused.
Reply 4
Antpants
Does anyone know if they give you an idea of books to buy beforehand. I am confused.

I'd assume they give you a list in the first few weeks of arriving, but you could always call up the department and i'm sure they'd be happy to give you a list of books needed.
Reply 5
I emailed them a few days ago asking what books you need, they haven't replied yet but if they do I'll post it on here
Reply 6
CR9
I emailed them a few days ago asking what books you need, they haven't replied yet but if they do I'll post it on here

I'm a 2nd year Business student and you will get a list of books you need in freshers week.

I think there's around 6/7 and it comes to around £200+ so make sure you have the money! You won't need to buy any other books though for that year. Each module has a core textbook but you will get extra reading lists if you wish to broaden your reading.

I just bought the core textbooks and for the essays I got, I would just loan a few out from the library!
Reply 7
I agree - theres no need to buy literally EVERYTHING on the reading list. There is a bookshop on campus which stocks all the course books required by any course in the university. The library stocks these books too.
Theres always 2nd and 3rd year students selling their old books off cheaply, so keep a look out if you dont mind having asecond hand book. eBay is also another gift to getting them cheaper!!
Reply 8
It's best to buy 2nd hand books from previous students. Much cheaper. So if any of you are thinking of buying business related books then pm me! I'm going into my final year of BA Management and Marketing
Reply 9
how reputable is HUBS? Is it worth moving out london? hertfordshire vs hull ? which one ??????? Do you students end up with a job after they graduate ? I heard bad things about hull?

cheers
Reply 10
Lovedealer
how reputable is HUBS? Is it worth moving out london? hertfordshire vs hull ? which one ??????? Do you students end up with a job after they graduate ? I heard bad things about hull?

cheers

From who? Some randomer who assumes it's scum without developing his/her opinion? Yep...

HUBS is very reputable with international recognition, has links with Universities all over the globe including America and Australia.

Should read up on these things though
Reply 11
zKlown
From who? Some randomer who assumes it's scum without developing his/her opinion? Yep...

HUBS is very reputable with international recognition,s links with Universities all over the globe including America and Australia.

Should read up on these things though

I heard that hull is boring place to live and that there is racism true?
Reply 12
Lovedealer
I heard that hull is boring place to live and that there is racism true?

Not boring, plenty of nightlife, loadsa shopping outlets and cinemas etc, everything you'd expect from a big city

And racism? You get that everywhere mate, but Hull isn't particulary bad for it no, dunno where you've heard that
Reply 13
zKlown
Not boring, plenty of nightlife, loadsa shopping outlets and cinemas etc, everything you'd expect from a big city

And racism? You get that everywhere mate, but Hull isn't particulary bad for it no, dunno where you've heard that

You've convinced me, going to apply for International Business. How good is the course and may I ask you? what course are you studying?

cheers mate.
Reply 14
Hi,

New user here, I have applied through clearing to join Hull University for Business Management and was extremely impressed with the course overview in the on-line brochure, what really caught my imagination and desire to study at Hull was the connection they have with businesses not only in the UK but America and Australia.

Hopefully I manage to get in, look forward to making plenty of new mates.

Cheers
Reply 15
Lovedealer

cheers

Not to try convince you more but I know of 5 separate people that did 1 year at Hertfordshire and then thought it was so awful they transfered to Hull uni.
Reply 16
Lovedealer
You've convinced me, going to apply for International Business. How good is the course and may I ask you? what course are you studying?

cheers mate.

I'm doing Business Economics

But everyone does the exact same first year if your studying at HUBS, so your first year will be the same as my first year. It's pretty simple if you put in a decent amount of work.

All HUBS courses are pretty good I think, it's a good school with international recognition
I have a place at Hull doing Management & Business. From my research the course is one of the best in the country and having met a few of the lecturers it appears to be extremely friendly too.
The business school is also situated in the nicest buildings on the uni campus.

I have no idea how good the teaching is, but the fact the CEO of both Coca-Cola and BSkyB went to Hull, means it can't be too bad.

Quick Reply

Latest