The Student Room Group

Do you prefer to use big words ...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It entirely depends who I am communicating with, with friends I obviously use my own slang. However, at work I use a vast vocabulary due to the nature of the industry I work in.
Original post by AMG44
It entirely depends who I am communicating with, with friends I obviously use my own slang. However, at work I use a vast vocabulary due to the nature of the industry I work in.

If you don't mind, what's the nature of your industry?
Reply 22
Original post by LostGear
If you don't mind, what's the nature of your industry?

Construction / Engineering

I think I learn new words on a daily basis but a lot of it is terminology.

Also when speaking contractually, communication needs to be precise to avoid any ambiguity.
Yeah.
Purple prose is one thing, but I think all too often this is confused with people who try to use words they think more specific to what they're trying to say and that are, together, far more powerful simply because of the chemistry between their syllables, vowel-sounds, emphases, diction etc. etc. Shakespeare didn't merely use unusual words, he invented hundreds. I dislike language snobs who speak grandiloquently to impress, but the inverted snobs who resent everyone who does not limit their vocabulary to that of a normal eight-year-old are just as bad.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by manchesterunited15
so sexy

Wut u talkin about?
Original post by Vixen47

Original post by I Procrastinate
Wut u talkin about?

Hey I'm stalking you.
Reply 29
I think it is always best to use simple words when possible. It's polite in the company of those who may not understand overly complex language and it also makes more sense generally. Using big words doesn't make you intelligent. It just means you may have read a few more books then your peers.

The only time I used more complex words than I should have was when I had a teacher who didnt understand a module he was teaching. I used big words to make him think that I knew what I was talking about and I got good marks.
Original post by louieee
Hey I'm stalking you.

You wot mate.
You wot mate.

m8 u ****ing wot
Original post by manchesterunited15

Original post by louieee
m8 u ****ing wot

Fam, you startin' me? Don't mess.
Fam, you startin' me? Don't mess.

grow up :boring:
Original post by louieee
grow up :boring:

:lala::dipsy::po::tinkywinky:
:lala::dipsy::po::tinkywinky:

you could've got them in the right order you bellend

anyway that's paedophilic
Original post by louieee
you could've got them in the right order you bellend

anyway that's paedophilic

I was actually gonna put them in the right order, but then i thought it's not worth the effort.
How dare you dis them teletubbies.

:topic:
I was actually gonna put them in the right order, but then i thought it's not worth the effort.
How dare you dis them teletubbies.

:topic:

haha m8 you're the sunshine baby from the teletubbies except you're the darkshine infant because your heart is evil-hearted.
Original post by louieee
haha m8 you're the sunshine baby from the teletubbies except you're the darkshine infant because your heart is evil-hearted.

You're the fudging noo noo hoover. Except you suck blood instead of cookies. noo noo the hoovpire. :noonoo:

Quick Reply

Latest