The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

unfortunately, i achieved ABC in my A Levels and so am planning on resitting. I have 5A* and 6A at GCSE and 732.5 average on my UKCat.
i am planning on applying to liverpool and exeter and was wondering how likely i am to be considered and get an interview? thanks (:
I had my A2 Chemistry remarked and was told although I gained 6 marks It didn't change from an A to an A*, apparently I only need one more point to get it to an A*.

Is there anything else I can do or is that it, money wasted for 6 extra marks?

Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by haidaralinasir
unfortunately, i achieved ABC in my A Levels and so am planning on resitting. I have 5A* and 6A at GCSE and 732.5 average on my UKCat.
i am planning on applying to liverpool and exeter and was wondering how likely i am to be considered and get an interview? thanks (:

I called lpool and exeter. They dont mind resitters but lpool did say that i must be predicted AAA and i need to mention why i ubderachieved and my school needs to back that up. So did lancaster. Worth looking into uea as well.

Congratz on ukcat tho. Which books or online question bank did use to prep for it?

Thanks
Reply 1643
Hi I wondered if anyone could give me some honest advice, so I applied last year and ended getting 4 rejections. I have 5A* and 3As at GCSE and 5As at AS. Average a score of 690 on my ukcat, have a wide range of extra curricular and work experience and had a decent PS.

I had health issues this past year, missed a lot of school and struggled with revision. I have mitigating circumstances with proof from my GP and School. I ended up getting BBB. I understand that there's a few unis that allow resits. I want to know what my chances are for reapplying and resitting and getting in. My honest chances. Hope you can help. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh there are unis, as i called some of em i can only apply to 4. But as u have legit reasons and evidence u have more. For example manchester, lancaster, lpool, plymouth, uea also leeds in some cases. Tho manchester is not even trying for i think. Bristol does accept resits i think with legit reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That was close! What board was it?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HHaris14
I had my A2 Chemistry remarked and was told although I gained 6 marks It didn't change from an A to an A*, apparently I only need one more point to get it to an A*.

Maybe you could get your script back. What board was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HHaris14

Don't you get the money back if your marks go up anyway? Did the grade of that individual paper go up? And did you remark both A2 chem papers?
Really need advice. AAB in A2, A in maths and bio, B in chem. Got an A in economics for AS which I dropped.

11 A*s at gcse. 710 in ukcat when I did it last year.

Looking to resit two or maybe three modules and get A*s in maths and Bio and an A in chem.

Have a decent amount of work experience and am going to Singapore in January to do medical work experience.

What do you think my options are right now? Which unis should I look to apply to?
Original post by rocky22
Really need advice. AAB in A2, A in maths and bio, B in chem. Got an A in economics for AS which I dropped.

11 A*s at gcse. 710 in ukcat when I did it last year.

Looking to resit two or maybe three modules and get A*s in maths and Bio and an A in chem.

Have a decent amount of work experience and am going to Singapore in January to do medical work experience.

What do you think my options are right now? Which unis should I look to apply to?

I'm similar to you, A*AB, B in chem, we can apply to Exeter, Plymouth, UEA, Lancaster, Liverpool and BSMS. If you have extenuated circumstances you can try some others
Original post by Dr. Django
I'm similar to you, A*AB, B in chem, we can apply to Exeter, Plymouth, UEA, Lancaster, Liverpool and BSMS. If you have extenuated circumstances you can try some others

What about manchester and southampton? I heard they also accept re sits?
Original post by rocky22
What about manchester and southampton? I heard they also accept re sits?

Manchester require extenuating circumstances I believe, and Southampton I'm not sure. It's worth emailing both though I guess
I, like many others, had an offer for Medicine at QUB in NI but fell short with AAB (B in chemistry). During my lower sixth year, my sister died really traumatically, however I returned to school and managed to produce AAAA at AS and then this year annoyingly dropped to AAB. If I'm being honest, I really really struggled with school this year and I think I've only really began to deal with the trauma. Although technically this event occurred during my AS levels, do I still qualify for extenuating circumstances as a resit applicant? If so, any suggestions as to where I should apply?

Thanks guyssss
I got AAB (B in maths), what do you say on your personal statement about the need to resit if you dont actually have any legit reasons? I screwed up? Found the paper hard? -.-
Is anyone else in the same position? I dont know what to do, help! :confused:
Original post by StarBizarre
I got AAB (B in maths), what do you say on your personal statement about the need to resit if you dont actually have any legit reasons? I screwed up? Found the paper hard? -.-

You could possibly talk about the effect of having a lot of exams within the 3 week period and the stress of it affecting your performance...in all honesty the exams were harder but I highly doubt the uni's will appreciate that as a reason
Yes u wud qualify for extenuating circumstances if the skool knew about it before or during the time of the exam and perhaps if u went to see a therapist or sth. Tho for some unis, u need to have told the exam board about ur situation before sitting the exams.
U can apply to lancaster, plymouth, exeter, probably kings if u live in london or kent ur gonna have to ask em. U can also apply to bsms and uea given that u resit ur exam and get predicted an A.

I called uea and they said if i am ressiting biology i can still apply but i wud need to be predicted and then achieve an a* given that i have an extra. Plymouth wants u to resit the subject at a level u got a b in and continue the subject u dropped at AS to a level along with ur resit. Its worth calling em up tho.

Hope this helps.
Original post by Ali Hyder
I called lpool and exeter. They dont mind resitters but lpool did say that i must be predicted AAA and i need to mention why i ubderachieved and my school needs to back that up. So did lancaster. Worth looking into uea as well.

Congratz on ukcat tho. Which books or online question bank did use to prep for it?

Thanks

lancaster consider resit applicants..!? and i just used medify for 2 weeks, scored exactly 732.5 last year aswel aha
Original post by alfresco_
ME TOO! But I haven't done the UKCAT yet and I have different GCSE grades and I also have a D at A2 Maths :'(

Does Liverpool need the UKCAT? I know Exeter does. Where else are you applying?

Liverpool and Exeter definitely. Contacted lancaster and am waiting on a reply. UEA, Plymouth and another University said i cannot apply as i need to have achieved AAB on first attempt (i achieved ABC).
Original post by StarBizarre

If you can't give a legit reason, don't give one at all. Instead talk about what you've learned from it, your renewed motivation and determination, conviction and commitment hence you're reapplying etc. The Medical Schools that accept resitters (without extenuating circumstances) aren't looking for an explanation, they accept that people make mistakes and are willing to give a second chance. You need to show why you deserve that chance, not explain away all past mistakes.

Original post by numar9501
You could possibly talk about the effect of having a lot of exams within the 3 week period and the stress of it affecting your performance...in all honesty the exams were harder but I highly doubt the uni's will appreciate that as a reason

I wouldn't say this. It'll just look like you're making excuses and aren't taking responsibility.

Latest

Trending

Trending