The Student Room Group

CRB Check - Has anyone had problems with a caution?

Scroll to see replies

Guys apologies but I'm not a student but need advise on this matter

I was charged by the police for a minor shoplifting offence back in 1989 when I was 12, now I was put up in front of the childrens panel(youth court) and was basically told NOT to do it again and that was it..
I have have many Disclosure Scotland checks(CRB/DBS) including basic/standard/enchanced. And nothing has shown up on these checks.

In 2011 I became a member of the Disclosure Scotland PVG scheme to work with children and vulnerable adults, this check replaced the enhanced but checks everything ie government records, sex offenders register etc, again this came back with nothing to show..
With the new law that started in May 2013, will this minor crime now be disclosed even if it hasn't been disclosed previous??

Many thanks
Reply 81
Hi.. my partner received a caution for theft of a motor vehicle when he was a teenager over 10 years ago.. he was with a group of around 15 people who all had a go of the bike & my partner was spotted riding it.. he was unaware it was stolen & his fingerprints didn't match those at the scene of the burglary yet he still received a caution & it now shows up on his CRB as theft, he may have been guilty of driving without a licence (but rode it on the paths) but surely theft involves being aware it's a stolen bike. Is there anything he can do to challenge this caution? given he is definitely not a thief & it's an unfair label to be given.
Kind regards
Dani
Hi David. I recieved a caution 10 years ago and i am currently working as a volunteer for the probation service, they were aware of ny caurion from the start and had no problem with this. When i received the dbs form back my caution was no longer on there. I would now like to consider working within the prison service but i feel my caution will hold me back as it was drug related. Do i have to disclose my caution to them as it isnt showing up on my dbs check and it was a ling time ago? Regards Tallie
Original post by Talliealex
Hi David. I recieved a caution 10 years ago and i am currently working as a volunteer for the probation service, they were aware of ny caurion from the start and had no problem with this. When i received the dbs form back my caution was no longer on there. I would now like to consider working within the prison service but i feel my caution will hold me back as it was drug related. Do i have to disclose my caution to them as it isnt showing up on my dbs check and it was a ling time ago? Regards Tallie

cautions become spent after 6 years so that caution you recieved 10 years ago would not be disclosed in a dbs check.
Can appeal against condition sexual caution?
Reply 85
Hi I have a shoplifting reprimand which I received in 2005 as a schoolgirl , I was told it will be removed but it hasn't , can you help
Reply 86
Hi
I received a shoplifting reprimand as a school girl in 2005 will that fall off my record ? Am now 24
Original post by Queenie5
Hi
I received a shoplifting reprimand as a school girl in 2005 will that fall off my record ? Am now 24

its older than 6 years so it would be off now
Hi, I was given a caution for shoplifting!
I'm an international student and am out of the UK at the moment. Can they stop me from entering the country when I go again to continue with my course?
Thanks!!
Reply 89
I had a caution in09 it showed on my crb check three years ago for a neighbour dispute will it show this year
Reply 90
Hi. I have a caution for drug possession (class A) from October 2008. That is 6 years as of next month. This is my only caution. Is this on the list of things that will no longer show up? Will it definitely not show up on an enhanced disclosure?
Reply 91
I have been teaching in FE for 10 years and was issued a caution for possession of an unknown class a drug a few weeks ago. The drug was found on my premises after I hid it in a panic as the police had been called to a fight on my premises. I have had this drug in my possession for years and have not used it for years. For some silly reason I just never got round to throwing it away and in the little time available did not have the opportunity to flush it.

As my DBS check is due, I forewarned my employer that this is likely to show up and have been suspended pending the results.

How likely am I to keep my teaching post?
you only have a criminal record if convicted in a court of law. If you have received a caution, it is not a conviction.
Only if you have been convicted in a court of law do you have a criminal record.
I am on a primary education degree, I have a caution from 7 years ago, when I was 19 for fraud, using another person's details to buy an item. I've been asked to come for a meeting with my uni due to them just seeing on my dbs form, the caution. They've said the outcome could result in my place on the course being terminated. Could they do that even if I admitted to the caution on my application?
Original post by Kirstin88
I am on a primary education degree, I have a caution from 7 years ago, when I was 19 for fraud, using another person's details to buy an item. I've been asked to come for a meeting with my uni due to them just seeing on my dbs form, the caution. They've said the outcome could result in my place on the course being terminated. Could they do that even if I admitted to the caution on my application?
cautions are legally meant to be removed after 6 years i would contact the police about this.are you sure it was 7 years ago?
this is rubbish! i have a few spent convictions from my earlier days and had no issues when working in social work because none of my convictions were related to children. i have also worked in publishing and other 'worthwhile' jobs.
Reply 96
Hi could you help me I received a caution for assault 6 yrs ago will it show on my crb check.thanku.x
Original post by Lifechanger
Hello David,

13 years ago, when I was 17 (nearly 18), I was charged with theft from my employer. The police said they couldn't give me a caution because it was theft from my employer as opposed to just theft.

I had to go to youth court but wasn't given a custodial sentence or community service. I actually thought the judge gave me a caution as I was let go without punishment and was told by the judge that coming to court was enough punishment for me and not to do it again.

However, I have done some research on youth sentences and only the police give you cautions so I am a little confused about what sentence I received; maybe it was an absolute discharge? My release wasn't conditional in anything.

y, I am now applying to work for the NHS and need to know if my conviction will be filtered?

Its weird because I have worked as a volunteer, mentoring secondary school kids and had to do a crb check but nothing came up (I didn't disclose it then as I thought it had been deleted).

I have also worked at a central bank and cleared that crb check too.

Provided that you have no other convictions this should be filtered off
Original post by Weegeordie
Guys apologies but I'm not a student but need advise on this matter

I was charged by the police for a minor shoplifting offence back in 1989 when I was 12, now I was put up in front of the childrens panel(youth court) and was basically told NOT to do it again and that was it..
I have have many Disclosure Scotland checks(CRB/DBS) including basic/standard/enchanced. And nothing has shown up on these checks.

In 2011 I became a member of the Disclosure Scotland PVG scheme to work with children and vulnerable adults, this check replaced the enhanced but checks everything ie government records, sex offenders register etc, again this came back with nothing to show..

Provided you do not have any other convictions. This should be filtered off

With the new law that started in May 2013, will this minor crime now be disclosed even if it hasn't been disclosed previous??

Many thanks

Provided you have no other convictions. This will be filtered off
A caution for fraud should be filtered off after 6 years. Possibly it was obtained, just before the six-year period? If not, you should query it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending