The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scott1541
Oooh what're you planning on getting?

I'd like a new lens to replace my kit lens but I rarely even use the kit lens now so it'd be a waste of money.

This lovely thing :coma: It's the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art. Put in the order today :woo:

What camera do you have?
(edited 9 years ago)
I've got a Nikon D5100 :tongue:

I wouldn't mind one of those myself actually. Something a little bit wider and faster than my 35mm f/1.8 would be a welcome addition. I'm not allowing myself to buy any more lenses yet though, I've spent near enough £500 on them this year :redface:

I guess that's what student loans were made for eh :wink:
I've got a Nikon D5100 :tongue:

I wouldn't mind one of those myself actually. Something a little bit wider and faster than my 35mm f/1.8 would be a welcome addition. I'm not allowing myself to buy any more lenses yet though, I've spent near enough £500 on them this year :redface:

I guess that's what student loans were made for eh :wink:

Nice choice :smile:

It arrived this morning :biggrin: pictures don't do it justice, it's possibly the nicest lens I've ever held. Yeah I prefer wider primes, and looking forward to something with a really large aperture again :smile:

Haha that's pretty much what my student loans became :ahee: support myself with a job during term, splurge on stuff on loan day :P I wasn't actually that bad, it did feel like it at the time though!
Original post by G8D
I think this is really bad practice...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6511273?start=0&tstart=0

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/websearch/hEVDmDw8ccU/lQb5yPSU2KgJ

I can understand stopping support for old software but not reverting back a website that was working fine only 5 days ago.

Definitely not how they should be doing things IMO. It doesn't seem like the browsers affected are that old either. (not googling to find exact ages of each)
Original post by G8D
Cex Arndale are selling a Google Glass Explorer set. Is that allowed? I remember initially the T&Cs didn't even permit letting other people use the device, never mind selling it on.

The Birmingham store have three. My guess is that while the buyers are breaking the T&Cs they agreed to, CEX didn't actually sign anything so can do what they want.
Bought a Yamaha A-S201 and pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.0s this morning to replace my old mini-system, and to take back to uni with me. My flatmates are going to hate me :tongue:
Bought a Yamaha A-S201 and pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.0s this morning to replace my old mini-system, and to take back to uni with me. My flatmates are going to hate me :tongue:

Nice choice on the 9.0s, love my pair :yy:
I've got the 9.0s, nice little set but kinda wish I could have got the famed 9.1s. At the time though you couldn't find the 9.1s for love nor money, as I recall, plus 9.0s were like £50. If I'm ever in the market to go to a 5.1 setup I might keep the 9.0s as rear speakers and then get 9.1s, a front centre, sub and new amp to go with it. See how things go. When I got my set up it was a case of getting the nicest setup I could for my computer without paying an arm and a leg, not being absolute crap and not being too big either - have a mini-amp(it's not too bad, does the job. Who wants to lug a massive amp around? Esp when you have a small form factor desktop? Don't have use for more etc. Keeps your desk looking nice and minimalist too).

That being said adding a sub would be nice. Get some nice bass tones in the mix but that means getting a new amp - my current amp can only handle 2 channels. Could do with a DAC with the current system since it runs through my computer. Getting nothing new for now but I'll have to work something out eventually. The only thing I can do right now without splashing out some serious wedge is add a DAC to clean up the sound. Anything that upgrades 2.0 with a sub and possibly new speakers needs a new amp and possible futureproofing in case of future upgrades. I knew when I went in anything more than 2.1 at this point was bit of a waste - don't have the room - so I just went with something to see me through until I did have the space for more. Nothing too fancy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by G8D
This is a really smart webpage: http://www.apple.com/uk/imac-with-retina/

Also, Yosemite is alright. Barely noticeable for my usage.

Yeah, much as I'm not a great fan of Apple, that's very nicely done :yep:
Original post by G8D

It is cleverly done, not that that stops it being full of Apple's usual marketing BS
Original post by G8D

Oh good, I've been after a computer with 10% more power than my current Windows desktop, and resolution improvements that I can just about perceive with my 60/20 vision. That one comes in very reasonably priced at only twice as much money. If only I could run Battlefield 4 on it.
Original post by G8D

One thing that I've noticed with my Mac is that I find myself not being able use the full capability of retina screens because frankly the pixel density is too high for text-based work. I have to use drastically bigger fonts that I would have done on a standard monitor to do what I need to do. I saw an email that I sent on a colleague's windows machine and it looked a bit like:

Hi Co-worker,

:sigh:

That kind of DPI is lovely on a handheld device, but on computer monitors on a properly set up desk, it's too much.
Original post by Mad Vlad
One thing that I've noticed with my Mac is that I find myself not being able use the full capability of retina screens because frankly the pixel density is too high for text-based work. I have to use drastically bigger fonts that I would have done on a standard monitor to do what I need to do. I saw an email that I sent on a colleague's windows machine and it looked a bit like:

Hi Co-worker,

:sigh:

That kind of DPI is lovely on a handheld device, but on computer monitors on a properly set up desk, it's too much.

PPIs targeted at people who seem to carry their AIO units in their arms like a tablet or a phone, apparently :biggrin:
Except without the touch
Original post by G8D
Question. I've a search bar in front of me which works with two databases, there are two search buttons. If I type and key enter it searches the first of the buttons. Is they any particular key press I can do to "click" the second button without using my mouse?

why not use the enter based function to find out :tongue:
Original post by G8D
Question. I've a search bar in front of me which works with two databases, there are two search buttons. If I type and key enter it searches the first of the buttons. Is they any particular key press I can do to "click" the second button without using my mouse?

By default, no. If a form has two submit buttons, the browser will generally just use the first when enter is pressed (though I don't think that behaviour is actually defined in any specs).
Original post by G8D
Some of you may have seen my post about slow 2Ghz speeds on the Superhub v2, a followup.

My laptop runs easily at 2MB/s but only when the display isn't running through HDMI. If I turn off my TV or the display turns itself off at the laptop level everything runs well. As soon as I turn the TV back on I witness it drop from peaks of 2MB/s back down to its average of 50KB/s. Why the hell would this be the case?

A thought off the top of my head, which is probably wrong, is that whatever is teh controller (or some part of the system) for the HDMI output is the same as for the wireless and the HDMI is eating up its resources in some way so it can barely handle the internet.Probably wrong, but just a thought.
Original post by Mad Vlad
One thing that I've noticed with my Mac

You have a Mac? Wow.

https://trmm.net/Thunderstrike_31c3 - might want to glue up the thunderbolt port :wink:
Summary from HN:
Through the thunderbolt port, an attacker can put code that controls the firmware updates onto a mac. This cannot be removed by software, and could do all sorts of nasty stuff.
Anyone with physical access to the computer and a weaponized version of this exploit could do this. This includes intercepting hardware en-route to its recipients, spending a few minutes with a laptop while its owners are away, or while crossing international borders.
According to the author, this exploit works with every Mac with a thunderbolt port that they tested. Apple has a partial fix coming as a firmware update soon, but the author expresses concern that the proposed fix could still be bypassed.
Original post by Chrosson
You have a Mac? Wow.

https://trmm.net/Thunderstrike_31c3 - might want to glue up the thunderbolt port :wink:
Summary from HN:

It's my work laptop. :colonhash: I ****ing hate it.

Latest

Trending

Trending