The Student Room Group

Nexplanon Reviews?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
WORST THING EVER! First of all I was very aware of the side effects before getting nexplanon. My friend swore by it so I did my research. The biggest complaint people had seemed to be irregular periods and bleeding. So when I went to the doctor I asked again to be sure, he said the most common side effect was irregular periods for a while then a chance of period stopping altogether. So I thought what the hell.
The procedure was quick maybe ten minutes tops. It was painless except for the numbing which wasn't unbearable.
I had no problems for the first few days. I felt completely normal. THEN I TRIED HAVING SEX. No! No! No! I can't describe the amount of pain I was in. It was sharp stabbing pains. Honestly felt like my body wasn't made to have sex and it was rejecting it. I had NEVER had this problem before and have always had a high sex drive and never any pain even my first time having sex. When I got nexplanon not only did I have no desire to have sex, but I was afraid of having sex because of the excruciating pain. Total turn off. I thought maybe it was a one time thing.. WRONG!! Every time I attempted to have sex no matter how much preparation or how careful my boyfriend was it still was the worst pain ever!
It got to the point where I would cringe if I even thought about sex. NO ONE SHOULD FEEL THAT WAY. Sex is meant to be affectionate and enjoyable. The whole purpose of me getting nexplanon was for birth control so I could have sex and not worry.
I searched for others who had similar symptoms and only found one other case online. I regret it so much. On too of the pain I never got my period not once and I had it in a month.
Kept researching and found a thread online that talked about how low dosage hormonal birth control can give you menopausal symptoms (no sex drive, decreased lubrication, pain during intercourse, and discomfort during orgasm) it for my symptoms and makes total sense. So over it!
Just went in today and had it removed took them under five minutes. I have yet to have sex honestly might wait until my body goes back to normal. DO NOT GET NEXPLANON.

I feel your pain, ive had this exact same experience on this implant. Im thinking about getting it removed too, did the doctor put you on another form of contraception? im doing loads of research because im not sure what to try next.
I had my second one out today, probably a slight bit of weight gain but d rather have that than a child.
No periods for the whole six years. Except a couple towards the end of the second one.

Totally recommend!
Reply 102
This is another awesome relevant forum kwer.do/s/Ca
Original post by autonomousAlana
Still no problems as of yet, just random spotting and my skin trying to adjust, i've noticed that my face has gotten really oily lately but i'm not sure whever it's because of the ever-changing weather or the implant.

Hey this is my first year on the nexplanon and first time on birth control ,, I haven't been really tracking my period but ik I had mine june 26th nd sometime last month. This month I had dark spotting and it went to light brown discharge and it stopped. When this happens I always think I'm pregnant like I feel more bloated idk if it's because the implant that's why I think I'm pregnant and because I didn't get my period and because the spotting, my bf and me always use a condom too. Help please
The first six months are usually the worse because your body is getting used to the new hormones. It has caused me to gain weight, made my hair greasier and my skin has broken out more but it isn't always like that. Some months are worse than others. For the first six months, my periods were awful and one lasted 7 weeks and had to be stopped medically because of my age (I'm 15). After the six months, I'm lucky if I see a period every 3 months now so I think it is definitely worth the wait and side effects because you don't have to remember a pill and eventually no periods. Weight gain might be a massive issue for some but for me there is nothing wrong with hips :wink:
Original post by iJess
I used to when I was on it but a nurse told me the hormones on it effectively trick your body into thinking you're pregnant

Posted from TSR Mobile
me & my boyfriend had sex last month & I did get my period.But this month I didn't get it yet,I had have dark discharge & then it was light brown & now it's white.I'm on the nexplanon implant,ik the implant will make you feel pregnant.If you keep worrying you are you'll get symptoms you are pregnant.I have had headaches,nauseated once,& noticed my stomach looks bigger,it's like it happened over night,bc when I suck in my stomach I get dimples on my top half always use a condom please help
Original post by sophisticated
My friend had it and she put on a load of weight after a couple of months which she can't shift for love nor money now.

Apart from that, no problems.

Hello. I wanted to know how your friend has been doing with thw weight gain. I gained some weight myself and blame the birth control but the doctors point the finger at me. Irs irritating
Original post by makenzie
I've had mine for over a year. I'm about to get it taken out, simply because it's driving me crazy. I have gained a ton of weight, my mood swings/emotions are all over the place, I find myself being quiet and reserved, almost in a depressed state. I'm usually a happy upbeat person, so I don't like feeling this way at all. My periods stopped about a month after I got it, that went on for the first 6 months. Then about November they started up again with heavy bleeding and more headaches. My period stopped again in March, it's now May and I still haven't gotten it. So time to switch back to no birth control I suppose.

Im exactly how you were. Im going on for over 7 months and the mood swings and weight gain are the main problem. Ive tried taking it out a month ago but the doctors point the finger to me amd say it's my eating habit and I was even told I was depressed, which of course I disagree. The problem is that I was told if I took it out I wouldn't get covered for any other bc since it has been to soon. Do you know of this? And I would like to know if you did take it out and how is your body now?
Reply 108
Original post by brookie101
me & my boyfriend had sex last month & I did get my period.But this month I didn't get it yet,I had have dark discharge & then it was light brown & now it's white.I'm on the nexplanon implant,ik the implant will make you feel pregnant.If you keep worrying you are you'll get symptoms you are pregnant.I have had headaches,nauseated once,& noticed my stomach looks bigger,it's like it happened over night,bc when I suck in my stomach I get dimples on my top half always use a condom please help

You'll be fine, absoloutely not pregnant. I never used condoms and got pregnancy symptoms, as well as bloating so my stomach would seem bigger at certain points in the month
Before I decided to have the implant put in I unfortunately happened to read all the positive reviews about it and the thought about no period was a bonus but unfortunately Ive been having light periods on and off for nearly 15 months ive tried mini pill combined pill but nothing helped with periods and the mood swings are on off through out the month me and DH end up in full blast arguments because hes forgot to hang his wet towel outside ,,I'm having it taken out soon hope it helps...
I had the implanon put in when I was in August 2011, being 17 at the time it seemed like it was the best option for me. For the first two years it worked perfectly, I didn't bleed at all, and naturally I was delighted with that! The final year, I bled on and off for up to 6 weeks at a time! It was hell, so irregular and when I went to the doctor the only option was to also take the pill at the same time to stop the bleeding, but this caused me to break out. I had the implanon taken out today, the doctors told me my case was very rare, but the implant was imbedded in my muscles. This meant I was laying there for nearly 2 hours as three separate doctors attempted to remove it from my arm. I also needed 3 doses of local anaesthetic because it started fading. The whole process was extremely stressful and painful. I started to freak out at some points and I lost a lot of blood and this later caused me to faint. As they all struggled to get it out they did try and calm me a little but for anyone who has had it removed before will know its a very odd sensation and this lasting for 2 hours is a little unbearable. Once it was finally out it was such a relief, but I needed stitches as they had to cut me open more, which I'm sure will scar a little. I realise my situation is very rare, but I thought I would share my experience with you all.
Reply 111
I had my first nexplanon implant for the full three years. It was absolutely fantastic. No periods what so ever. I still got mood swings on the days i should have my period but nothing drastic. I have gained weight in the time but my diet isn't overly healthy so hard to say whether is solely the implant. Today I had my implant removed as it had been in pasted the remove date. Procedure was fairly painless with the worst part being the numbing injection. They put the new one in a slightly higher position to allow the old site to heal and I never felt a thing of it going in. Now, 8 hours later, my arm is very tender and painful if I move it, bash it or lift anything. I remember this happened last time so I'm hoping it passes quickly. All in all its a great way of contraception. I know a lot of people suffer from side effects but it is just how your own body reacts to the hormones realised by it.
Reply 112
I have had the nexplanon for six months now and have had ZERO periods at all- not even spotting. However, it did substantially decrease my sex drive, increase my acne and I believe I am now suffering from depression and anxiety. I am having it removed tomorrow by my NP. Bottom line, I would rather have periods each month than continue to feel moody, sad, and nervous all the time. If you are looking for a long acting reversible contraceptive, Nexplanon might be an option for you. Birth control is trial and error for everyone so hopefully you have better luck than I did. I will definitely miss not having a period though!
Reply 113
I have had the Nexplanon for nearly a year now. I was taking the mini pill before that and had no side effects or bleeding with it, i just kept forgetting to take it. My doctor recommended the implant because it contained the same hormones as the mini-pill. I have had no problems what so ever except very very light spotting within the first week of getting it.

I would recommend it to anyone, although I would say try the mini-pill first and see what its like if you don't like it or have side effects don't get the nexplanon implant...
I've had Nexplanon for just over a year now and am thinking of having it taken out? I have periods every 2-3 weeks for almost 3 weeks at a time & it's becoming expensive for all the extra pads (lol) but also stops me having sex for weeks at a time which obvs defeats the object of having it in the first place.

Don't know whether to have it taken out and go back to condoms (effort) or to go to the GUM clinic again and see if they can suggest anything else?
I got nexplanon in June and I've been bleeding for 5 months straight. Every single day. It's disgusting. It's so hard to feel clean and fresh. My sex life is completely nonexistent. My OBGYN said wait a few more months and the bleeding should stop. This was last month.. I'm so incredibly frustrated cos it was expensive. It's totally not what I expected. Food cravings were really bad the first month or so. I'm giving nexplanon a 1 out of 5 stars experience. Its awful. I want it out now!
Reply 116
Original post by missbawss
I got nexplanon in June and I've been bleeding for 5 months straight. Every single day. It's disgusting. It's so hard to feel clean and fresh. My sex life is completely nonexistent. My OBGYN said wait a few more months and the bleeding should stop. This was last month.. I'm so incredibly frustrated cos it was expensive. It's totally not what I expected. Food cravings were really bad the first month or so. I'm giving nexplanon a 1 out of 5 stars experience. Its awful. I want it out now!

Same happened with me and I had it out but they recommend to take the pill with it to control the implant bleeding

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk
i know quite a few friends that have gained alot of weight on this..
Reply 118
When I was 18 I went on Depo-pravera and was on it until my Dr would no longer allow me to stay in it. No periods was the thing that sealed the deal for me. I then immediately got the implant and for the first three years it was fine. I had the first one removed and a second one put in April 2013 and was fine up until last month. I started bleeding after intercourse. I hadn't had any bleeding what-so-ever since I was 18 so I immediately started thinking it was something called
Absolute hell! I've had mine for about 6 months and it's to the point where I do not enjoy eating food at all. I feel constantly hung over, exhausted and drained for no reason. Very painful periods and swollen boobs, so sore they feel sunburnt! Zero libido also, defeating the entire point.

I was on depo provera for about 5 years before having this, with no problems or periods at all, and only changed on advice that it could be problematic for bones (I have knee problems).

I will be having it removed asap, anything is better than this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest