The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Looks like i'm back to lessons this month as I found a slot at the end of this month instead of October 16th.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DinosaursLayEggs
I failed for the second time on the 4th.

First time failing was for driving too close to a bicycle. The guy literally cut across traffic and was riding next to me and I freaked out and didn't know what to do so I just carried on with my speed (about 20mph) instead of slowing down.

Second time I failed was just a massive mess. I'd gotten my car on the 1st September brand new so I hadn't gotten used to the car. It was a lot smaller than what I was used to and I just kept stalling in it at every possible moment. In the end, I failed for hesitation, observation, and I just messed up my reverse around the corner majorly as I forgot I was in a smaller car and didn't need to turn the wheel as much. I definitely was not ready for that test, I don't think 3 days was enough to practise in my new car.

Booked my next test 4th November but hopefully there will be cancellations for mid-October and I can take it at the Greenford test centre. Third time lucky?!

The 4th was a bad day for both of us, what time was your test :frown:
Just passed on my third test with 5 minors!

My advice would be to get into the mindset that you're going to pass and just try to completely get rid of the nerves. Today when I passed I was in a completely different mindset to when I failed the first two times, I was confident and tried my best to not be nervous and it worked! Most importantly don't give up, I was on the verge of giving up after my second attempt but now I'm so glad that I didn't.
I'm so glad I found this post makes me feel so much better!
Failed my driving test for the second time today 6 minors, 1 major for not looking enough to the right on my reverse left, one silly mistake drove safe the rest of the time and she didn't even let it go, I was so angry when I finished haha always next time
Reply 3244
Got my first test on Wednesday. It's at 3.27 and wondering whether I should go to school or not, any advice would be great too
Hi, Has anyone taken a test at Garrets Greent bham centre - test on fri at 1.35pm - first attempt and really nervous. any advice about the centre and the examiners. thanks
Failed today :frown: Failed because apparantly steering was too close to parked cars on the right, and because I turned int oa junction that had a row of parked cars on the left side. So that whole lane was blocked, a jeeep is coming down, and we couldnt move, i couldnt reverse or id be reversing into left hand lane major road traffic, so the other guy had to move back. Apparantly that was my fault for not reacting fast enough and I should have stopped. (Even though it would be blocking the left hand major road lane).

So ****ing depressed right now, first time ive ever failed anything
sounds rubbish. was it busy? what centre? how many majors and minors?
Reply 3248
Failed my first test today. 9 minors and 1 major. My major happened as we were driving back to the test centre which absolutely sucks... we got to a crossroads and I had to turn left. It was a very sharp corner which I had done many times before so I slowed right down, was in 2nd gear, and when I got to the corner I realised I hadn't slowed down enough, but continued around the corner. Ended up halfway in the other side of the road, but I did get myself back to the left very quickly. Still, it was a major... it came under 'steering' and I'm surprised it wasn't under lane discipline!

There is a silver lining though; I thought if I did fail it would be because of a roundabout, and I even thought I messed up two or three, yet I didn't get any majors for them which has boosted my confidence with them! The worst part, however, is that I move to university on Saturday so won't be able to take my test again until Christmas break... not ideal at all. I hope I don't forget everything by then...

So annoying knowing if it wasn't for that one major I would've passed. :frown: So close!
Reply 3249
I failed my test today, I got a major when I hesitated at a roundabout. I am gutted, anyone got any advice for not being really nervous for the second one now I've failed?
Original post by Chriswhjay
Failed today :frown: Failed because apparantly steering was too close to parked cars on the right, and because I turned int oa junction that had a row of parked cars on the left side. So that whole lane was blocked, a jeeep is coming down, and we couldnt move, i couldnt reverse or id be reversing into left hand lane major road traffic, so the other guy had to move back. Apparantly that was my fault for not reacting fast enough and I should have stopped. (Even though it would be blocking the left hand major road lane).

So ****ing depressed right now, first time ive ever failed anything

You live and you learn. Keep at it!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vitzy
Failed my first test today. 9 minors and 1 major. My major happened as we were driving back to the test centre which absolutely sucks... we got to a crossroads and I had to turn left. It was a very sharp corner which I had done many times before so I slowed right down, was in 2nd gear, and when I got to the corner I realised I hadn't slowed down enough, but continued around the corner. Ended up halfway in the other side of the road, but I did get myself back to the left very quickly. Still, it was a major... it came under 'steering' and I'm surprised it wasn't under lane discipline!

There is a silver lining though; I thought if I did fail it would be because of a roundabout, and I even thought I messed up two or three, yet I didn't get any majors for them which has boosted my confidence with them! The worst part, however, is that I move to university on Saturday so won't be able to take my test again until Christmas break... not ideal at all. I hope I don't forget everything by then...

So annoying knowing if it wasn't for that one major I would've passed. :frown: So close!

I have the same issue with university! I failed my test today for not abiding the 'give way' rule and stopped on a main road, when I had right of way(no idea why I felt the need to stop!) and I also almost drove into a car, no arguments with mine haha, nerves got the better! But I have to wait to resit at Christmas, which is rubbish :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Failed today :frown: I was so nervous at the beginning which led to me having failed within about the first three minutes!! So frustrating because the rest of the test was fine - I only got 1 major and 5 minors :frown:

Also I really want to get a cancellation before I go to uni on the 5th October - how likely is this?
Well today I sat my second driving test. Now I'm a good driver my instructor loves my driving especially my observation! I won't talk about my first because my park was a disaster and it failed me. Today I had a young examiner (new guy) let's call him steve, Steve didn't know his lefts to his rights! He didn't know where his sheet was he just stared at my breasts! ( C cup nothing special) that where covered up! Anyways steve didn't right one thing on his sheet until I finished my test, then he marked down a serious for my observation because I didn't check my blind spot. ( I did) but clearly my boobs where still distracting him from checking!. Just wondering if he's allowed to do that? ( mark the board after the test is over as before it was empty)
Reply 3254
I failed my second test. Had some pretty difficult roads, there was one instance where we were driving down a narrow high street, with parked cars on both sides of the road. There was a massive lorry in front indicating left. The next thing I know, some madman comes at me from the pavement across the road and starts yelling at me (I had my windows rolled up so I had no idea what on earth he was saying), which startles/panics me. I was already slowing, but the man kept shouting in my window whilst standing in the middle of the road!!! The examiner starts getting annoyed at the random man and tells him to back off. Turns out the lorry was trying to reverse park and I was in the way. I stop and reverse to let it park. I wasn't failed for that, surprisingly! He just marked it as a minor under "planning". Nevertheless, I was pretty much in shambles after that incident.

Has anyone else had a pedestrian interfere in your test unnecessarily?

I passed on my third try though!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey everyone, just want to pass on my experience and give you some hope and cheering on. I'm 26, passed on my 4th attempt today and seriously thought this day would never come. I've taken tests in 4 different cities, spent approx 40-50 hours in total over 8 years, I took large gaps of no driving but here I am. Previously nerves screwed things up for me massively.

Today on my test I stalled, stayed in the right lane when going straight ahead at a traffic light but should have been in the left and left my indicator on a tad too long but because I noticed these mistakes and corrected them asap I think it really helped. I ended up with 6 minors and honestly thought I would have had 2-3 majors. Keep going, even if you think you've failed you gotta keep your head in a positive mindset. Accept the nerves but tell yourself you will not let them ruin this for you. I used rescue remedy and drank water. I also think talking out loud my decisions really helped me so for example a pedestrian walked behind me whilst I was doing my reverse park. I stopped the car and stated I was doing so because I see the pedestrians and will continue when it's safe. Same for being in the wrong lane, I said to him I'm in this lane due to possible obstructions ahead and will change back to the left when the light is green and it is safe to do so. This was a slight white lie but no minors for it.

I know it seems like the biggest deal and all you want to do is pass and believe me I get that, but you will if you keep trying. Who cares if it takes you 2,4,6 etc times, you will get there eventually and it is really all worth it. Do not let nerves spoil it for you, remember you can control your emotions or let them control you. Be confident, state why you are making decisions if you feel like it and always always use mirrors and blind checks. Happy to give any advice and good luck.
First test i failed due to not looking when pulling into the left- Fair enough my mistake and Hesitation getting up to speed.

Second time about 3 weeks ago some lady walked out as i was turning left when the lights had just gone green and she'd seen them change then stopped and as i was turning decided to go anyway...i ended up stalling because i didn't put it into first right over the crossing so 50/50 i did see the mistake i made and ended up stalling in a dangerous place so also fair enough.

Today test 3, me and my instructor think I've been stitched up, everything was going fine until the last minute where he started racking things up....apparently i was slowing down too much approaching pedestrian crossings ( just in case they changed to red) and the other main thing was apparently not giving myself enough time to look on a restricted view cross-road which is where he put the major even though if i'd gone any slower he probably would have got me for undue hesitation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by xx-Samantha-xx
Today test 3, me and my instructor think I've been stitched up, even thing was going fine until the last minute where he started racking things up....main thing was apparently slowing down too much approaching pedestrian crossings ( just in case they changed to red) but the main thing was two turns away from the test center on the way back it was a cross-road where the right is open and the left it restricted, i slowed right down before the cross road in order to look early so i'm not gonna get done for undue hesitation as it was being slow on junctions the second time that racked up hesitation points the second time because that examiner was saying you look then just go if its clear which it was, i did the exact same thing at the t-junction towards to test center with parked cars on both sides and he doesn't mention it at all !!. My instructor saw the sheet through the window when he started adding things to it, my instructor got the feeling that if i woulda been any slower out of the junction he probably would have got me for undue hesitation so i couldn't really win !! i wouldn't mind if i had actually made a big dangerous mistake like the first two as i can admit to my own mistakes but now i'm just miffed because it's not exactly cheap !!
Rather a rambling wall of text which doesn't make much sense. I'm none the wiser as you why you actually failed.

Were you too fast approaching particular junctions or too slow? I think I understand the part about pedestrian crossings. Why on earth would you overreact "in case they changed to red"? Hasn't your instructor taught you what causes them to change and how to anticipate this?
Failed today, first attempt.
Got 1 serous and 7 minors.
missed my turning so was told to go a different way, which took me onto a narrow 1 way road, half way up the 1 way was a crossroads where it intersected another 1 way, also a narrow road, got told to turn right onto the 2nd 1 way so i stopped, hand break, 1st gear, looking both ways, found my bite, released the break and pulled of.
I started juttering so i applied more revs which made me take the turn a bit too fast, clipped the curb and stalled.
There was no other traffic or pedestrians around.
so i applied the hand break, looked all around and moved off again safely, I thought the guy let me off but evidently not.
I failed within the first 2 minutes, the rest of my drive was fine, not happy right now.
Original post by Advisor
Rather a rambling wall of text which doesn't make much sense. I'm none the wiser as you why you actually failed.

Were you too fast approaching particular junctions or too slow? I think I understand the part about pedestrian crossings. Why on earth would you overreact "in case they changed to red"? Hasn't your instructor taught you what causes them to change and how to anticipate this?

Sorry, i was a little miffed yesterday and i've gone back over it and re-wrote it.

My instructor has taught me about that and how to anticipate them changing, all i'd done was lifted off the accelerator a little going about 25 mph just in case people walked out across the crossing (many people have done this in the past) or they did change. The area i learn has a mix of hybrid/ fast changing lights/people randomly walking out into the road particularly on the road in question so i am always cautious on that road maybe overly so however it's never been an issue before.

With the junction apparently i was too fast even though i crawled and looked both ways was clear and then went as it was a give way not a stop sign.

However there is not much i can do but book a re-test and listen to the debrief at the end :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending