The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Hi again!

Quick question regarding overtime cut-off. I'v been told it is the thursday the week before each payday, just wondering if it would include the cut-off day's hours in this or not (i.e that thursday itself)?
Reply 1201
Original post by Natasha Rose
Hi again!

Quick question regarding overtime cut-off. I'v been told it is the thursday the week before each payday, just wondering if it would include the cut-off day's hours in this or not (i.e that thursday itself)?

Hi, yes it includes the day of the cut off itself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JJ_TW
Hi, yes it includes the day of the cut off itself

Posted from TSR Mobile

including both normal working hours and the overtime on that day? (Just to be certain!) but thank you, this is helpful :smile:
Reply 1203
Hi, I've been working at my express store for about 9 month but still haven't been given a discount privilege card I've asked my store manager but she's always like she doesnt know where is it :s-smilie: also I want to be able to do overtime/extra hours at a store near uni (bham) whilst still working at my current store (southwest) is that possible? or should I just transfer ?
For student transfers are we meant to be transferred before the window closes, or are they all done afterwards? I did it on the first few days it was open and it still says 'processing'.
Hey guys,

I just got a call inviting me to a interview tomorrow at 12pm noon time. He said to bring a hard-copy of my CV, Passport, Birth certificate and Bank details.

I don't know what to expect from my interview as he didn't say if it was 1-1 or group interview. Also, what kind of questions will they be asking and how should I respond?

Thanks for the help :smile:
Hi,

I've just completed the online application for a customer services role in a garage store in Hove (http://jobsearch.tesco-careers.com/jobs/job/Customer-Assistant-Part-Time-Hove/14003).

What can I expect next?

Dan
I have been offered temporary, full time employment for three weeks starting next week which I cannot really turn down as they pay is good. Is it worth telling Tesco this when they call to see if I can be considered for a future position? Or should I just say I am no longer available?
Hi just wondered if anyone can help me! I applied for a full time position at tesco the day the job had been advertised on the 12th the job closed on Friday the 19th. It's now the 23rd and my application is still processing. I have received a confirmation to tell me they have received my application on the day I applied. if the application is unsuccessful do they tell you sooner than if you are successful? What's the usual waiting time for them to reply? Any advice would be great! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Gemmalou2105
Hi just wondered if anyone can help me! I applied for a full time position at tesco the day the job had been advertised on the 12th the job closed on Friday the 19th. It's now the 23rd and my application is still processing. I have received a confirmation to tell me they have received my application on the day I applied. if the application is unsuccessful do they tell you sooner than if you are successful? What's the usual waiting time for them to reply? Any advice would be great! Thanks :smile:

Generally shortlisted are contacted first as they are the priority. Depending on managers' workloads and priorities, unsuccessful applicants may not be contacted at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi how long before you get a reply off tesco my application has said in process for a week thanks in advance
Can anyone help me, I quit Tesco about 5 months ago because the kept messing up my pay. Today I got a letter saying I owe them £117 for a 'cushion payment' I received in June 2013. I'm not even sure if I received and don't have any pay slips. Surely I would've had to sign somewhere to say if I quit in a certain amount of time I would have to pay it back. Do I have a leg to stand on?
Can anyone help me, I quit Tesco about 5 months ago because the kept messing up my pay. Today I got a letter saying I owe them £117 for a 'cushion payment' I received in June 2013. I'm not even sure if I received and don't have any pay slips. Surely I would've had to sign somewhere to say if I quit in a certain amount of time I would have to pay it back. Do I have a leg to stand on?
Original post by Paigemichelle

If they have records of over paying you which you cannot disprove, then you are liable to pay it back. Remembering or not is irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How difficult is it to work as a Customer assistant checkout in Tesco ? Is it similar to self checkout except we have to deal with the cash when the customer pays by cash ? I have worked in Mc Donalds in tills and we have to remember the price of all the items and when we run out of change money we had to call manager and exchange it with £20 note to fill our till again. Is it same with Tesco checkout jobs? Calling the manager and exchange the note for change money ? I want to know the procedure from anyone who works in Tesco Checkout . Thank you
Hey guys.

Tesco rung me today and told me they have accepted me for the job - I am so excited!:smile:

I have been invited to a nine hour induction session on Saturday and I have a few questions, if any of you would please be able to help :smile:

- Should I wear formal clothes for the session? The manager told me that it would take around two weeks for my uniform to arrive, and in the meantime I should wear a white blouse, black trousers and black shoes - does they apply to the induction session too? Would I be okay wearing a black skirt and black tights?
- The manager also told me the rate of pay would be £7.10 per hour. However, I think this is surprisingly high, especially as I am under 17 - is this definitely true for a 17 year old?
- What would I be expected to do at the induction session, will I be paid, and should I bring lunch?

Thank you very much! :smile:
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
Hey guys.

Tesco rung me today and told me they have accepted me for the job - I am so excited!:smile:

I have been invited to a nine hour induction session on Saturday and I have a few questions, if any of you would please be able to help :smile:

- Should I wear formal clothes for the session? The manager told me that it would take around two weeks for my uniform to arrive, and in the meantime I should wear a white blouse, black trousers and black shoes - does they apply to the induction session too? Would I be okay wearing a black skirt and black tights?
- The manager also told me the rate of pay would be £7.10 per hour. However, I think this is surprisingly high, especially as I am under 17 - is this definitely true for a 17 year old?
- What would I be expected to do at the induction session, will I be paid, and should I bring lunch?

Thank you very much! :smile:

Yay, congrats! I've just had my induction this week so hopefully my answers will be pretty accurate.

- Smart casual clothes are your best bet. I wore a plain blue dress and tights at my induction, but until my uniform arrives I'm wearing a white blouse and black trousers at work. Black skirt and tights sounds fine for your induction. Just don't go in jeans or anything like that.

- Yup, the pay at Tesco is pretty great. I was really impressed that they ignore the government minimum wage age brackets and pay customer assistants the same, regardless of age. It's a great perk if you're under 18/21.

- The induction will involve a lot of watching videos, so make sure you're fully alert and ready to concentrate. We filled in a booklet to check we understood the induction content. There's also quite a lot of form filling, giving bank details etc. Take a pen so you don't have to ask to borrow one. You may get to do a bit of work on the shop floor, but for mine we didn't as it got too late in the day. We were told we'd be paid for our time at the induction. As far as lunch goes, you can take your own but we just went to the staff canteen. Take coins as they may not have change (the canteen has a cashless system where you get a card).

Good luck and have fun! The induction can be quite heavy as you do get loads of info about Tesco's history, policies etc. given to you, but it's definitely nothing to worry about.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi guys,

I received a call today by Tesco and they told me that I was successful.

They asked me to come for an induction day. I applied for the customer service desk position in Newcastle.

My question is, I saw a tobacco stand right next to the customer service desk. Would I have to deal with that too?
Original post by auralay
Yay, congrats! I've just had my induction this week so hopefully my answers will be pretty accurate.

- Smart casual clothes are your best bet. I wore a plain blue dress and tights at my induction, but until my uniform arrives I'm wearing a white blouse and black trousers at work. Black skirt and tights sounds fine for your induction. Just don't go in jeans or anything like that.

- Yup, the pay at Tesco is pretty great. I was really impressed that they ignore the government minimum wage age brackets and pay customer assistants the same, regardless of age. It's a great perk if you're under 18/21.

- The induction will involve a lot of watching videos, so make sure you're fully alert and ready to concentrate. We filled in a booklet to check we understood the induction content. There's also quite a lot of form filling, giving bank details etc. Take a pen so you don't have to ask to borrow one. You may get to do a bit of work on the shop floor, but for mine we didn't as it got too late in the day. We were told we'd be paid for our time at the induction. As far as lunch goes, you can take your own but we just went to the staff canteen. Take coins as they may not have change (the canteen has a cashless system where you get a card).

Good luck and have fun! The induction can be quite heavy as you do get loads of info about Tesco's history, policies etc. given to you, but it's definitely nothing to worry about.

Oh thank you very much! Congratulations to you too! :smile:

Okay, thank you, that sounds good. I'll buy some basic gear for until I get my uniform (my old school uniform no longer fits, which is such a shame :tongue:)

Oh that's brilliant! Thank you for clarifying that :smile:

Okay, that's great. Thank you so much for all the detail! How long was your session? I'm hoping it will be okay as my job is on the Checkouts and I have two years of experience at a charity shop, but at the weekend I managed to get the figure on the till of £25k for just a few items of clothing, hopefully that won't happen again :s

Thank you so so much for all your advice! I feel much more prepared now, thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
Oh thank you very much! Congratulations to you too! :smile:

Okay, thank you, that sounds good. I'll buy some basic gear for until I get my uniform (my old school uniform no longer fits, which is such a shame :tongue:)

Oh that's brilliant! Thank you for clarifying that :smile:

Okay, that's great. Thank you so much for all the detail! How long was your session? I'm hoping it will be okay as my job is on the Checkouts and I have two years of experience at a charity shop, but at the weekend I managed to get the figure on the till of £25k for just a few items of clothing, hopefully that won't happen again :s

Thank you so so much for all your advice! I feel much more prepared now, thank you so much! :smile:

Glad I've helped! My induction was about 8 or 9 hours, with an hour lunch break. Hopefully you'll get to have a go on the checkouts, but my managers decided against letting 14 newbies loose on a busy Saturday afternoon, haha. On my first shift the other day I was shown the checkouts, and there's really nothing to worry about. The machine alerts you if it notices anything is off, such as a double scan. (or a £25k total, haha!)

Good luck!! :o:o

Quick Reply

Latest