The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by King Hotpie
Any other book readers seriously considering not watching the show anymore? After years of wielding the power of spoilers, the show is coming dangerously close to spoiling things from the books, and possibly already has, such as with Craster's sons and Jojen's death...

I'm reading the books at the moment (only nearing the end of Clash of Kings atm) but knowing pretty much what's going to happen doesn't make it the slightest bit less enjoyable, and book fans who are watching the series don't seem to find it boring already knowing what's going to happen.
I don't actually think the series will go ahead and drop spoilers for the books but even if it did I don't see the problem..
Does anyone know how many seasons are there going to be? :smile:

I have not read the books. I started watching it around 3 years ago. Gave up when I got to season 3. There was a lot of time between seasons and I'd forget the names of some characters and some details. I don't if it's only me but I like to know EVERYTHING when I'm watching shows or films. So I thought I'll wait till all the seasons have come out and then watch it all in one go rather than wait a year for every season. Seems a bit stupid I know because it'll take a few years at least for the series to be completed. First season was just perfect. Can't describe how good it was. But when the second one started, straight away you know it wasn't as good as the first one.
Original post by mali167

I have not read the books. I started watching it around 3 years ago. Gave up when I got to season 3. There was a lot of time between seasons and I'd forget the names of some characters and some details. I don't if it's only me but I like to know EVERYTHING when I'm watching shows or films. So I thought I'll wait till all the seasons have come out and then watch it all in one go rather than wait a year for every season. Seems a bit stupid I know because it'll take a few years at least for the series to be completed. First season was just perfect. Can't describe how good it was. But when the second one started, straight away you know it wasn't as good as the first one.

You should stick with it. Season 4 was incredible!
Original post by mali167

At the moment we know there are 6 minimum.
Original post by mali167

The creators want to end it on series 7 or 8, regardless of whether George RR Martin has finished the books or not.
Is GoT even good? My friends circlejerk over it but I don't see the appeal.
Original post by SamTheMan95
Is GoT even good? My friends circlejerk over it but I don't see the appeal.

How much of it have you seen? Cos I don't think the first couple of eps were really that great, or rather they don't really make you HAVE to see it to the end, it's all just loads of weird fantasy names and places and stuff, and mostly comes off as just Lord of the Rings with nudity... It does get really good though and once your into it, you do really become invested in the all and characters etc... or at least most people seem to have who've seen it all.

But yeah, a really good show. It's as much political shenanigans as it is about fantasy stuff (a load of it's inspired by real history), and there are so many twists and turns and OMG moments, so if you haven't seen much of it, or any of it, I'd say stick with it. If you have seen a load and aren't keen still, well, I just, no, that's... that's not possible, so of course you haven't... :biggrin:
Original post by Dgoldstraw
How much of it have you seen? Cos I don't think the first couple of eps were really that great, or rather they don't really make you HAVE to see it to the end, it's all just loads of weird fantasy names and places and stuff, and mostly comes off as just Lord of the Rings with nudity... It does get really good though and once your into it, you do really become invested in the all and characters etc... or at least most people seem to have who've seen it all.

But yeah, a really good show. It's as much political shenanigans as it is about fantasy stuff (a load of it's inspired by real history), and there are so many twists and turns and OMG moments, so if you haven't seen much of it, or any of it, I'd say stick with it. If you have seen a load and aren't keen still, well, I just, no, that's... that's not possible, so of course you haven't... :biggrin:

I don't get when people say the first episodes were really boring etc, I guess it's there opinions but I really liked them, although I was confused with all the names and places the first couple of episodes all ended on cliffhangers making me want to keep watching, each to their own I guess but yeah definitely worth a shot
Original post by lizzy95
I don't get when people say the first episodes were really boring etc, I guess it's there opinions but I really liked them, although I was confused with all the names and places the first couple of episodes all ended on cliffhangers making me want to keep watching, each to their own I guess but yeah definitely worth a shot

I wouldn't say they were boring really, just pretty hard to get into. Plus the first few episodes are actually pretty involved with the magic/fantasy side of things, it takes about half the season for the big plot with all the different Houses to get going; which is when I really got into it
Best show I've ever seen, it's phenomenal.

If you haven't given it a go, please do. I put off watching it for a while but finally watching it was the best decision of my life. Absolutely love it.
Book theory

Spoiler

Even though it would never happen I'd really love to see a prequel series on TV. Have no idea when GRRM plans to release the next book which will make it impossible but with Spartacus when Andy Whitfield got ill they put the main story on hold for a season and did a prequel season inbetween. Obviously it'll be something book readers favour more but the backstory and all the wars etc are so interesting. Like who wouldn't want to see Robert's rebellion and a prime Robert fight Rhaegar. There's so many other interesting wars, The War of Conquests with dragons as well, why can;t GRRM release some more material. ****.
This teacher rocks!!
This made me laugh a bit too much:

[video="youtube;NqQQ4SULoX8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqQQ4SULoX8[/video]
Currently reading the first book and I have almost finished, just read the chapter regarding Catelyn and Walder Frey's negotiation in the castle.

Just a quick question, does anyone else often have to refer to a dictionary/Google to understand what a word means when reading GOT? (or is it just me being stupid...)
Original post by King Leonidas
Currently reading the first book and I have almost finished, just read the chapter regarding Catelyn and Walder Frey's negotiation in the castle.

Just a quick question, does anyone else often have to refer to a dictionary/Google to understand what a word means when reading GOT? (or is it just me being stupid...)

Nah - there's lots of weird items and occupations that don't really exist any more, so I'll end up googling those (mummer). Most of that stuff I don't bother about, though, and you can figure a lot out if you just keep powering through when you can get it from context.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Nah - there's lots of weird items and occupations that don't really exist any more, so I'll end up googling those (mummer). Most of that stuff I don't bother about, though, and you can figure a lot out if you just keep powering through when you can get it from context.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I googled mummer as well, it twas mentioned when Varys and Ned spoke in the dungeon:biggrin:
Original post by Deshi
Even though it would never happen I'd really love to see a prequel series on TV. Have no idea when GRRM plans to release the next book which will make it impossible but with Spartacus when Andy Whitfield got ill they put the main story on hold for a season and did a prequel season inbetween. Obviously it'll be something book readers favour more but the backstory and all the wars etc are so interesting. Like who wouldn't want to see Robert's rebellion and a prime Robert fight Rhaegar. There's so many other interesting wars, The War of Conquests with dragons as well, why can;t GRRM release some more material. ****.

The tales of Dunk and Egg novellas would make great TV.
Anyone else seen this production pic from next season

(SPOILERS FOR NEXT SEASON AND TWoW TO SOME EXTENT)

Tyrion sitting with Dany already!? He hasn't properly met her in the books yet has he? They're already surpassing some of the book arcs, this is danger territory for us book readers :frown:

(edited 9 years ago)

Latest