The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Failed my test today for the dummest reason ever on my behalf:

I had a very good run, i was going to pass, but on the way back to the test centre, we was 2 minutes away from it, i was getting excited cos i know i was going to pass but we came into the road leading to the test centre, i saw the 30mph signs but stupidly i went 40 shortly after them

the examiner said "slow down young man, its a 30 here"
and i knew too cos i saw the signs but just didnt take it in for some reason (probably being excited cos we were nearly there, and i knew i had done well so far) :frown:

i would of passed with 6 minors had it not been for this, i am truly gutted considering its a serious fault which you really should not have gotten cause you seen the speed limit sign lol

oh well, i'm confident for my next test!

Sorry Advisor, i know this is something that you would not be impressed with one bit too.

Can't wait for my next try though :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I failed my test today for the third time whilst doing my manover which was parallel park which I did fine with abit of messing about but she failed me coz a car was waiting to get past what was I supposed to do the street was very narrow and parked cars on both sides and I hate at the end when the say you are a lovely driver better luck next time grrrr
Original post by vikki25
I failed my test today for the third time whilst doing my manover which was parallel park which I did fine with abit of messing about but she failed me coz a car was waiting to get past what was I supposed to do the street was very narrow and parked cars on both sides and I hate at the end when the say you are a lovely driver better luck next time grrrr

dont worry if you know your a good driver then your bound to pass

its more a question of when than if

and just think its only once you need to do it, then we can drive for the rest of our lives by ourselves with no worries.
Got my test on Friday.....

Q regarding blindspots; do they need to be checked before you change lane? Any other times apart from moving off?
Reply 3284
Original post by MSI_10
Got my test on Friday.....

Q regarding blindspots; do they need to be checked before you change lane? Any other times apart from moving off?

You need to check any time you need to know what's there. So you do need to check when changing lane (as long as you mean "just before" and not "during"), but also at certain points during manoeuvres. If you don't know this you aren't read to do your test.
Original post by Juno
You need to check any time you need to know what's there. So you do need to check when changing lane (as long as you mean "just before" and not "during"), but also at certain points during manoeuvres. If you don't know this you aren't read to do your test.

It's because I read on TSR that you have to check them for the reason aforementioned while my instructor told me it is only necessary when you move off after having parked etc.
Original post by MSI_10
It's because I read on TSR that you have to check them for the reason aforementioned while my instructor told me it is only necessary when you move off after having parked etc.

Think of it this way, you want to change lane. How will you know you won't be driving into another car unless you check your blind spot?

I was watching a video by Helen Adams (driving instructor, also on "undrivables") and she says not to look over your shoulder like you usually would because there is a chance of drifting to the side at that speed, but instead look 90 degrees to your right, straight out of the drivers window. That way you'll still see your blind spot in the corner of your eye.
Reply 3287
I hope all went well with your test sparklees and hope you are now on the road! I took my test again on the 10th April & passed :smile: here I am a year & half later having clocked up 21,000 miles. So glad I never gave up after the bad test...
Original post by BrownEyedGirl92
Think of it this way, you want to change lane. How will you know you won't be driving into another car unless you check your blind spot?

I was watching a video by Helen Adams (driving instructor, also on "undrivables") and she says not to look over your shoulder like you usually would because there is a chance of drifting to the side at that speed, but instead look 90 degrees to your right, straight out of the drivers window. That way you'll still see your blind spot in the corner of your eye.

Yeahhh agreed went through it one lesson before test, all fine now.

Here's to tomorrow....
Good luck!
Just passed on my 3rd attempt! Thank god no more lessons!!!!!! No more wasting x amount of money! Don't worry guys you'll all get there :smile: trick is to pretend the examiner is your instructor; I didn't even look at the guys face!
Just failed on my first time!! 1 serious, 5 minors...!!!!!!! So so so angry and annoyed

I went 28 mph on a 20 road! But to be fair, the road looked like a 30 road and had no signs, but he claimed at the end he told me we were in a 20 zone still, UGH

Manage to rebook it in for 2 weeks, but at a diff centre as there aren't any earlier than December at the one I did today's at. :frown:
Failed my test recently for undertaking. I'm gutted as I only had 4 minors.

I was going along a road where there is intermittent sets of traffic lights all of the way along. At each set of these lights there are right turns. This particular road was 50mph limit, I was doing 40 ish to account for a reasonable gap for a truck traveling infront of me. I had another driver literally driving inside my boot he was that close.

So apparently I undertook someone on the outside lane when traffic on that side had slowed down for someone preparing to make a right turn? I know the letter of the law is one thing but what could I have done in that situation. Slammed my brakes on to match the crawling pace of the traffic on the right and caused an accident/failed for causing the traffic behind to alter their speed significantly? Or can I get out my crystal ball to guess whether the driver is going to turn right or not? I'm just abit bemused. My instructor and others I have discussed this with are also at a loss. Felt abit dammed if I do, damned if I don't. Oh well, better luck next time.

Just abit of advice, the test flys over, people shouldn't panic, if you take your time and concentrate it literally feels like you've been driving for 5 minutes. All the best.
Maybe wrong place to write this haha, but I just wondered how long after you passed did you wait before giving friends lifts?

[INDENT]hi i had my first driving test last thursday (16th oct) i was so nervous but had my instructor in the car with me which helped the nerves the drive went really well until we came up to this roundabout which i really hate! its a three lane roundabout and always manic! so he asked me to go second exit (straight over) now i had stuck in my head keep left keep left as ive been taught so i kept left but stupidly without even thinking i was in the left turn only lane before leaving the roundabout! i got back to the test centre and he told me i had failed with 1 serious for being in a left turn lane he gave me a minor for not reading the sign which said left turn only so if i had been in the middle lane i would have passed with no minors to say i was gutted was an understatement! i cried my eyes out but he assured me that my driving was faultless minus that one thing and the drive was so smooth and i should be very proud of myself! my instructor said she was beaming with pride in my test she said that was the best she had ever seen me drive. it took me a few days to get over the disappointment of failing and now i think well i did pretty well to get no faults with any of my driving expect that stupid roundabout! my test is re booked but theres a 2 month wait!! so i am keeping an eye out for cancelations [/INDENT]

Original post by Advisor
You're so full of hate. I feel sorry for you. I also feel sorry for any other old folk you're thinking of mistreating at your nursing home just because you had a bad week or didn't get your own way.

It's not like the guy has given you bad news that you haven't been told before. Failed three tests? Learn to drive properly, love...

step away slowly from the computer, take a walk and get some fresh air it helps to balance the mood
(edited 9 years ago)
Have my second test next week, I'm getting so nervous again :frown: Had my last lesson until the test day today, made a few mistakes but I think I'm starting to worry too much :cry:
Failed my first test yesterday. at Garston test centre (Liverpool) 23-10-14

Ok so here's my story.

I'm a really good driver, I drove well through my test. Got a turn in the road and that was fine, independent driving part was fine too. Was on my way back to the test centre in (Speke) - Was waiting at traffic lights to turn right. Lights turned to green so I moved off.. as I got to the road I was turning into.. i was in what i thought was the left lane.. but then i noticed the cars to my right coming over.. i then realised the road i had moved onto had 3 lanes and i was in the wrong lane. i was actually in the fast lane.. i then looked at the floor and realised i had drove right over the white lines..

I knew at that moment i had messed up..

It's just so unfair though.. approaching that road was so hard.. the road markings were barely showing on the ground, they was so faded!

When we got back to the test centre he told me ide failed because of that.

4minors and 1 serious.

He told me it was a shame because i drove really well.

Anyway next test isn't for another month... I'm pretty depressed to be honest. Wish i could go back out again, the wait is too long :frown:

Gunna do a few more lessons and cover up that area in Speke.

Like i said.. feeling depressed.. don't feel like going the gym - eating - anything :frown:

Really hope i pass my next test. on dec 1st at 8:10
Pass By or Before Christmas Challenge anyone? My 2 cousins and a co-worker passed in winter after many summer failures i'm not sure how or why.

First challenge is to sacrifice, you have to give the money up the more lessons and tests you have the better but no crash course.

Second challenge is watching videos and more online learning when you are not driving, all difficult manourvres and driving is available online, there's no magic to it the more you go over them at home the better you become on the road.

Goodluck
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wiggledinho
Maybe wrong place to write this haha, but I just wondered how long after you passed did you wait before giving friends lifts?

the same day

Latest

Trending

Trending