The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Is it weekly or monthly pay at Tesco?

I got a pay check last week, which looked like for all of my training (I've only just started).
Hey, I've got an interview at Tesco's next week and I was told on the phone that it would last 2 hours! This seems awfully long for any interview let alone at Tesco's. Can anyone shed any light on this? What should i expect? Thanks!
Original post by SLClegg
Hey, I've got an interview at Tesco's next week and I was told on the phone that it would last 2 hours! This seems awfully long for any interview let alone at Tesco's. Can anyone shed any light on this? What should i expect? Thanks!

It's likely to be a group interview. At mine we had to build a tower out of paper, and do a presentation on team work or something else.

Everyone got a one to one interview arranged for the next day as well, that's only 20 minutes and more of a 'regular' interview.
Reply 1223
Hey!

In my third week of working at Tesco, and I'm wondering if anyone knows the pay? I hear it's more than minimum wage? I'm 16 years old, and working on checkouts. Need to plan for my income
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went for a job interview at Tesco last month and they said they would let me know if I was successful or not. However, it has been three weeks almost and I have heard absolutely nothing.

Is it safe to say I was not successful this time round?
Do tesco actually let you know if you are not successful or do they not bother?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jennyc1994
I went for a job interview at Tesco last month and they said they would let me know if I was successful or not. However, it has been three weeks almost and I have heard absolutely nothing.

Is it safe to say I was not successful this time round?
Do tesco actually let you know if you are not successful or do they not bother?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found out like a week after that I got the job and know many people who went for the interview and never heard back... sorry
Original post by iJames55
I found out like a week after that I got the job and know many people who went for the interview and never heard back... sorry

Ahhhh thank you. Guess it is safe to say I was not successful. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1227
Not sure how useful this will be, but I thought I post it anyway. Went and did my interview today at Tesco Express. It was more or less a group interview, considering there were a whole bunch of us. We were filling out forms, concerning our flexibility and health checks. One by one, we got asked questions such as:

Why do you want to work for Tesco?
Tell us about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how did it make you feel in the end?
Tell us about a time you had to change your behavior to suit a particular person?

Afterwards, we did an exercise together to build a tower, using newspapers and masking tapes. Then comes the nerve-racking part :eek:. Some of us get taken to the shop floor, where we are put on checkouts and shelves to see how we work.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by siml1
Hey!

In my third week of working at Tesco, and I'm wondering if anyone knows the pay? I hear it's more than minimum wage? I'm 16 years old, and working on checkouts. Need to plan for my income
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the particular Tesco, such as the living cost in the area. It's above adult minimum wage though - they pay the same rate of pay to everyone regardless of age too. At my Tesco it's £7.10/hr on the checkouts, rising to I think £8.60 if you work between 10pm and midnight, and £10.65 Sundays and nights
I applied for 2 jobs at Tesco on the 23rd of september.

I keep logging into the careers website yet the jobs still say 'in process'... Does this mean I havent got the job and not been told or is it still in process?
Hey, my first day on the job (Hardlines) is Saturday (10pm-7am) and I am unsure on who to report to when I get there as I have not been told by anybody! Nor do i have a clock in card yet! Any advice? Thanks.
Reply 1231
Applied in the half term just gone and had a call Wednesday and interview yesterday. It was 1 to 1 with the Counters manager. All went brilliantly and in the end I got my work sample (roughly 35 minutes) done straight after. I'm now waiting for my NI number and Passport to be cleared by their HQ before I can start.

I'll be working 10 hrs a week to start with on the Pizza Counter. Does anyone have any experience of this? Only got to serve 2 customers on my own yesterday, and one with guidance at the start. :biggrin:
Does anyone know what the chances are of being kept on after Christmas if applying for a temporary position? :smile:
Original post by Dusky Mauve
Does anyone know what the chances are of being kept on after Christmas if applying for a temporary position? :smile:

The odds are against you, but sometimes they keep a few if anyone in a perm position resigns.

Posted from TSR Mobile
any advice for the on-line application? like how do they pick for interviews? is it the people who get the highest on the questionnaire or is there other criteria?
Original post by joker1701
any advice for the on-line application? like how do they pick for interviews? is it the people who get the highest on the questionnaire or is there other criteria?

It's fully automated, no person ever looks at these. The idea is the software gets rid of a lot of the (what it considers to be) unsuitable applicants so managers waste less time shortlisting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brightonlad89
It's fully automated, no person ever looks at these. The idea is the software gets rid of a lot of the (what it considers to be) unsuitable applicants so managers waste less time shortlisting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying online now and doing the profile builder. I only have one gcse but have a good reason as to why I only have one. Should I just stop now?
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
I'm applying online now and doing the profile builder. I only have one gcse but have a good reason as to why I only have one. Should I just stop now?

I did a handwritten one, but you didn't have to write them down at all, and they weren't mentioned at all in the interview process.
Original post by angelfox
I did a handwritten one, but you didn't have to write them down at all, and they weren't mentioned at all in the interview process.

So the tesco you went to didn't put high value on gcses? I have my maths so at least I have the one most shops see as important.
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
So the tesco you went to didn't put high value on gcses? I have my maths so at least I have the one most shops see as important.

nope, although I'm still at school so I imagine they just assumed. However the form was the same for everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending