The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LifeIsGood
I'm a resit student and honestly it worked out fine. I've applied for Biomed though so it is a bit different, however IF you do retake the year - let me know. I can give lots of tips.

Hi i could do with some tips. Due to lots of family issues i ended up flopping my AS this year and i was really hoping to get into biomed. Also, if you don't mind sharing, i was wondering which university you got to?
Many thanks
Reply 41
do you have to pay to resit a year?
Reply 42
Hey guys,
I took psychology at an AS level but got a terrible grade (D). I am now changing my college in which it is said that I am not allowed to take the subject again ( as in repeart the first year) however when enrolling in person I was not questioned whether I had taken the course before even though they know that I've attended a college previously and I've been signed on to it.
Do any of you know what are the consequences if they do find out that I took psychology before?
u said you can give lots of tips on resitting a year
i was an as student doing bio, chem and psychology but failed chem, surprisingly. i wanna change my course now and do bio, history sociology and psychology so im taking only 2 new as but im leaving bio and psychology A2 for now so i can do them the following year
pls advice me on what to do, or if my decision is right and wouldn't limit my entering into uni. thank you
Original post by shona103
do you have to pay to resit a year?

nope. not that i know of
You shouldn't have many problems! I mean universities don't really care how you got the grades, as long as you do have the grades then they can't turn you down! Consider two applicants, candidate A didn't resit and achieved AAA however candidate B did resit but got A*A*A, they are more likely going to consider candidate B, and it also shows determination in wanting to leave sixth form with the best possible grades....I know way too many people who have retook the year and got into UCL, Oxford and QMUL/ KCL so do not worry!
Hi guys

Im redoing A2 all over agin to bring my grades up

I got BBC for A2

What are my chances of getting into a good uni for pharmacy? My predicted grades are A*AA

Cheers
I re-took my AS year after getting CDU the first time. I ended up changing my subjects and getting AAB in AS and ABC in A2. I'm currently a Law student.

So yeah I don't think it makes much different. I wouldn't have been able to get into Law with the grades I would have gotten if I didn't retake the year.
Original post by hibz
I am an AS student and im finding a-levels as quite a struggle, i'm quite laid-back, not taking anything seriously tbh im treating it like my gcse's and i know it's not good but i have no motivation what so ever and because of my laziness and laid-back mood i have a feeling i am not going to achieve acceptable grades and that i might have to repeat the year , but by repeating the year would this affect my chances of getting into university? .. im interested in doing pharmacy
really would like to know thank you

I was exactly like you on my first year at college and ended up failing my AS levels with the grades B E E U . I re-took my year and passed the second time around with B B C. I also had questions such as yours but having no one to talk to I just went with my gut and I can say that now that I have progressed after re-taking I am very happy with myself and do not regret failing my first year as even this enabled me to learn something..

I am not advising you to give up or allow yourself to fail because it honestly is not too late to pick yourself up ( e.g. you could take advantage of the christmass holidays ) But in a case where you don't do very well you shouldn't be in worry because after going through this my self I have now applied to really good universities and am doing very well in my final year of sixth form completing my A2 levels. :smile:
Hi, I'm retaking a year currently because I didn't get the grades I wanted and could really do with some tips ...
Original post by esraakdag
I was exactly like you on my first year at college and ended up failing my AS levels with the grades B E E U . I re-took my year and passed the second time around with B B C. I also had questions such as yours but having no one to talk to I just went with my gut and I can say that now that I have progressed after re-taking I am very happy with myself and do not regret failing my first year as even this enabled me to learn something..

I am not advising you to give up or allow yourself to fail because it honestly is not too late to pick yourself up ( e.g. you could take advantage of the christmass holidays ) But in a case where you don't do very well you shouldn't be in worry because after going through this my self I have now applied to really good universities and am doing very well in my final year of sixth form completing my A2 levels. :smile:

Hi, I'm currently retaking my a levels, and was wondering if you have any tips for me :smile:
Original post by Icequeenn
Hi, I'm currently retaking my a levels, and was wondering if you have any tips for me :smile:

My main tip would be not to feel discouraged by the fact that you are re-taking as this was the case for me, and just remember that a few years down the line when you get your qualifications it wont matter anyway!

Also if you are re-taking the same subjects it can be very boring but you should not loose focus and instead use this to your advantage to clarify your knowledge

Lastly and most obviously- don't repeat the same mistakes! Think about what went wrong last year, when you realise the problem you can find yourself a solution to make sure you do better this time around!

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey , I was wondering if I could get information regarding retaking As year, taking different subjects and my chances of getting into uni (medicine). Im studying English Lit, Maths, Economics & Politics, but want to retake and study Bio, Chem, at AS, taking Math, Chem, Bio and whatever As subject I did good on my first year. Im predicted and AABB this year. Does this make me a resit applicant as i know med schools want you to complete it in 2 years , as it shows it handles the content but technically i would ?
Reply 53
Original post by hibz
I am an AS student and im finding a-levels as quite a struggle, i'm quite laid-back, not taking anything seriously tbh im treating it like my gcse's and i know it's not good but i have no motivation what so ever and because of my laziness and laid-back mood i have a feeling i am not going to achieve acceptable grades and that i might have to repeat the year , but by repeating the year would this affect my chances of getting into university? .. im interested in doing pharmacy

It may effect your chances at a few top unis but generally i highly doubt it i know others who've had to retake years and are at uni.
That said it's only January! Kick into action now and at worst you might need to take a couple modules again next year.
What makes you think you'll feel lazy all this year and suddenly we'll hit september 2015 and you'll be pumped? Doesn't sound likely to me i'd just get a grip this year and save yourself hassle, stress and a year of your life.
Reply 54
Hey,

Got 2 U's, 1 E, 1 D, 1 C first attempt at As levels, retook the 2 years again got 2 A's and B, now I'm at York University study History & Archaeology, resitting is worth it, anyone who says otherwise is a mindless fool
I'm going to echo what a lot of people have said here. It is a much better option to get your head down this year and retake a few exams next year if you have to. You easily have enough time to do well this time around and it's important to realise that next year will be harder.

I studied my AS levels at a different college the first time round, Through my own apathy and having teachers who didn't monitor performance or push their students I ended up performing very poorly. I moved to my current college and got 4 A's at AS and have received offers from all 5 of my universities (4 RG). It's really up to you though, If I could go back then I would have worked really hard in the run up to exams and passed my first time round.
Original post by hibz

Are you me? Lol
Original post by LifeIsGood
I'm a resit student and honestly it worked out fine. I've applied for Biomed though so it is a bit different, however IF you do retake the year - let me know. I can give lots of tips.

omg i have a question, this has nothing to do with pharmacy or anything of that sort but please help me :frown:( so i retook my AS june 2015 but i want to use my 2014 June AS results for A2 this oct, is it possible??
I didnt reist the year but two of my close friends did. For one it was the best thing they ever did , and their off to uni in september to study a completly different subject than she was thinking of before , how ever the other dropped out by chirstmas so i think you need to be really carefully about yout reason for resitting and the subject you choose.
Reply 59
Original post by AliceStrawbs
I did my A-levels, went to Bristol for a year, left and I am doing extra A-levels this year at home. I also have an offer for Cambridge. Things don't always work out the way you expect them to and Unis do understand this. So if it came to it, yes, you could do an extra year of A-levels but if you have a choice just work really hard this year and next and then go from there :smile:

Hi AliceStrawbs, could you let me know more of what your situation was that made you took time off uni to do A Levels and apply to Cambridge? What subject were you in? Did you apply for the same course at Cambridge, and were the A Levels you took new ones you hadn't studied before or just a way to keep up studying while you applied? Thanks, it's just I'm in a similar situation, I've just done one year of university and want to change field, and ideally want to and think I could study at Oxbridge - if only I had known and done so on the first time round of A Levels, I wonder how much they look down on people redoing A Levels a second time to get in..
Thanks for your help, look forward to hearing from you

Latest