The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Three plates for 3*5 is good squatting again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Average session tonight. Wasn't feeling great and knee not feeling great either so no lower body stuff.

Bench press:

80 x 5
87.5 x 3
70 x 12

Easy enough.

Seated rows:

whole stack 3 x 15

Triceps pull downs:

3 x 10

Tried to do some chins but not feeling it after the seated rows. Should have done them the other way round.

Then home.
Reply 1662
Nice benching :smile:
Same as last time really.

Press:

66 x 5/5/5

Got them all this time.

Chins:

bodyweight x 6/6/7

Okay.

Skull crushers:

bar x 20 x 10/10/10

Easy enough. Wasn't sure how much I'd do as the ends on the bar themselves weren't rotating properly, making it somewhat awkward.

Seated rows:

whole stack 3 x 10

Used the rope attachment in an effort to make it more challenging without doing so many reps it basically turns into cardio. And it certainly is more difficult with the rope attachment.

Some mobility then home.
Been busy and a bit ill too since last time, so not much tonight.

Squats:

up to 150 x 1

Belted, low bar. Been getting sore knee-caps lately, possibly due to high bar.

Bench press:

80 x 5

Not too bad really.

Deadlifts:

185 x 1

Same as above.

Then home.
Okay session tonight.

Squats:

130 x 5

High bar. Used my strength shop double ply knee sleeves to add some stability, as I have mentioned that my knees have been a bit sore recently. Squats weren't too bad really.

Press:

60 x 6/6/6

Quite easy. Much easier than I thought they'd be.

Chins:

bodyweight x 6/6/6

Grip slipping a bit but otherwise fine.

Then some rotator cuff stuff then home.
Nothing to complain about tonight.

Front squats:

100 x 5/5/5

Not difficult on the legs, but wrists were almost destroyed.

Bench:

80 x 5
85 x 3

Quite difficult.

Incline dumbbell bench press:

25s x 9/6

Did these for some back-off volume. Tried to emphasize the chest as to best utilise them as a chest assistance exercise.

Barbell rows:

80 x 5/5/5/5/5

Okay.

Then home.
I've put my workouts (from early November) into a spreadsheet so I can do some analysis.

Firstly, so far I have done approximately 540 sessions. This averages just over 100 per year. So on average I lift just over twice a week.

First problem: I don't train enough times. I know my average is down because, over the years, I have taken a lot of time off (for various reasons), but even when I'm not taking time off, I still frequently miss my target of three sessions a week. Therefore, I am going to endeavour to train more frequently.

Secondly, I looked at the amount of sessions I have had per weekday, just out of curiosity:

Monday 135
Tuesday 35
Wednesday 120
Thursday 26
Friday 138
Saturday 51
Sunday 35

No surprise that my main training days are the classic Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. It also came as little surprise that I rarely train on Thursdays either. Often if I miss a Friday I'll go on Saturday instead, putting it ahead of Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.
Reply 1668
Original post by Smack
I've put my workouts (from early November) into a spreadsheet so I can do some analysis.

Firstly, so far I have done approximately 540 sessions. This averages just over 100 per year. So on average I lift just over twice a week.

First problem: I don't train enough times. I know my average is down because, over the years, I have taken a lot of time off (for various reasons), but even when I'm not taking time off, I still frequently miss my target of three sessions a week. Therefore, I am going to endeavour to train more frequently.

Secondly, I looked at the amount of sessions I have had per weekday, just out of curiosity:

Monday 135
Tuesday 35
Wednesday 120
Thursday 26
Friday 138
Saturday 51
Sunday 35

No surprise that my main training days are the classic Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. It also came as little surprise that I rarely train on Thursdays either. Often if I miss a Friday I'll go on Saturday instead, putting it ahead of Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.

Haha I have a feeling my training days will probably be similar to yours there's just something about training on tuesdays/thursdays and sundays that's not appealing lol

I've had a lot of time off recently....new years resolution for 2015 is deffo gonna be to take my gyming much more seriously and not to miss more than 15 days of not training in the entire year!
Good session earlier tonight.

Squats:

130 x 8/8

Reps are tough.

Press:

60 x 7/7/7

Tough getting them all.

Deadlifts:

180 x 3/3

Much better doing sets of three as my form doesn't fall to bits on reps 4 and 5, because I don't do them.

Then home.
Original post by Smack
Good session earlier tonight.

Squats:

130 x 8/8

Reps are tough.

Press:

60 x 7/7/7

Tough getting them all.

Deadlifts:

180 x 3/3

Much better doing sets of three as my form doesn't fall to bits on reps 4 and 5, because I don't do them.

Then home.

Getting strong again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay session tonight.

Squats:

150 x 3

Very difficult. Legs still fried from Saturday.

Pause squats:

130 x 3

Very difficult. Legs still fried from Saturday.

Bench press:

80 x 5
87.5 x 3

Not too bad. Last rep of last set touched high on the chest so was a lot slower.

Incline dumbbell bench press:

27.5s x 7/10/7

Some back off volume. Surprised on the second set that I got 10, although I did intentionally cut the first set short. Failed on last set.

Barbell rows:

85 x 5/5/5/5/5

Okay.

Some mobility then home.
Reply 1672
just out of curiosity but when you bench do you keep the bar above your sternum or are you more around nipple level/higher?
Original post by a10
just out of curiosity but when you bench do you keep the bar above your sternum or are you more around nipple level/higher?

Nipple level ideally.
Reply 1674
Original post by Smack
Nipple level ideally.

I see, for me personally I noticed when I do it around nipple level I'm not that sore the next day and I can push the bar slightly easier compared to when I have it around sternum level. Supposedly the latter gives your chest a full stretch? not sure how much of that is true though... but it definitely feels more sore the next day haha!
Original post by a10
I see, for me personally I noticed when I do it around nipple level I'm not that sore the next day and I can push the bar slightly easier compared to when I have it around sternum level. Supposedly the latter gives your chest a full stretch? not sure how much of that is true though... but it definitely feels more sore the next day haha!

Higher up should be more chest, vs lat/tricep I think.
Kinda hurt my back a little this afternoon. Was away to overhead press but when I got to my work set, I unracked and it felt something go just a little bit. So never did anything else. But so far it definitely feels very minor relative to other times this has happened so hopefully I'll get to train on Saturday when the gym opens again.
Tonight went better than it could have. The back problem seems to have gone, but I've had a very sore right knee lately, and that isn't. But thankfully it didn't really interfere with tonight.

Squats:

130 x 5

Low bar. Just to see whether my knee would **** up. I definitely felt it but it wasn't a show stopper.

Press:

62.5 x 6/6/6

Okay.

Deadlifts:

185 x 3/3

Quite difficult.

Power shrugs:

150 x 5
170 x 2

Did these for upper back. But grip was ****ed so only got two on second set. Need straps for these I think.

Then home.
Just a quick-ish one this afternoon as gym shuts early and not really in the mood for a heavy one.

Power cleans:

95 x 1
100 x f

Haven't done these in a while. Didn't really commit myself for the 100. Plus back and traps still sore from Monday.

Barbell rows:

80 x 6/6/6/6

Not too bad.

Did a lot of foam rolling and work with the lacrosse ball throughout the session too.

Then home.
Okay session tonight. Just getting back into it.

Squats:

120 x 5

Wanted to test my knee, which has been bothering me a little recently, and although I felt it, it didn't impede squats, which were easy enough.

Bench press:

80 x 5/5/5

Not too bad, although hands were slipping so should have used chalk.

Chins/pull ups:

bodyweight x 6/5/5

Then home.

Quick Reply

Latest