The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Art/design related subjects

Hi everyone,

I am applying for the course in Landscape Architecture at the University of Edinburgh, where it is required to submit an art/design related qualification within one's school studies. I was wondering, is history of art considered as an art/design related subject? I believe it is but I would like to be confirmed, as I am aware that there might be a difference in the view of the subject in the English/Scottish school system (I come from an Italian type of high school where history of art was basically the only subject in arts).
If there's any other applicants out there it would be nice to get in touch!
Thanks in advance :wink:
Hi I have also applied for landscape architecture at Edinburgh however I do art and design as one of my A level subjects. Nethertheless when I went to the uni open day and spoke to the course leaders they seemed interested in all art related subjects, as i also do theatre studies which isn't directly linked to the course. History of Art is well recognised here, however if you have any doubts I'd email the uni and ask. Hope this helps :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by armonia
Hi everyone,

I am applying for the course in Landscape Architecture at the University of Edinburgh, where it is required to submit an art/design related qualification within one's school studies. I was wondering, is history of art considered as an art/design related subject? I believe it is but I would like to be confirmed, as I am aware that there might be a difference in the view of the subject in the English/Scottish school system (I come from an Italian type of high school where history of art was basically the only subject in arts).
If there's any other applicants out there it would be nice to get in touch!
Thanks in advance :wink:

Mmmm, it is tricky, isn't it?

Their entry requirements (http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees?action=programme&code=4J22&cw_xml=index.php) say:-

Minimum entry requirements
........ Evidence of artistic ability required.

Their info sheet (http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.84183!/fileManager/Landscape-Architecture.pdf) says :-
Evidence of artistic ability may be required if an applicant does not have an Art and Design qualification. Applicants are expected to have some ability at freehand drawing. Therefore, if you are not taking Art as an examinable subject, you should try to obtain some practice in the discipline.

So I would guess that they actually want applicants to be able to do freehand drawing that looks like what they are trying to draw (I can't even draw a letter of the alphabet that looks like it is supposed to, so the ability to do freehand drawing is not obvious!). I'm guessing that they might ask for some evidence of drawing, either done beforehand or sketches done 'on the fly'? I doubt the requirement is tremendously high (you won't need to produce a da Vinci) but it sounds like they actually want demonstrable artistic ability.

I think the advice given to contact the university is probably the best.
Reply 3
Hi guys! I've also applied to landscape architecture (although quite close to the deadline and well, not really expecting them to answer soon...) Have you heard anything from them, if you perhaps applied earlier than I did?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by sofia.p
Hi guys! I've also applied to landscape architecture (although quite close to the deadline and well, not really expecting them to answer soon...) Have you heard anything from them, if you perhaps applied earlier than I did?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey, ive heard back from all the unis i applied to for Landscape Architecture which were Sheffield, Gloucestershire, Greenwich and Edinburgh. i only heard back from Edinburgh today and got my final offer! hope this helps?
Reply 5
Congrats! Which do you think you will be firming? Did you send a portfolio to Edinburgh?
I've actually only applied to Scotland (I'm a European student) but mostly waiting for Dundee and Edinburgh to answer 😁😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by hanffo
hey, ive heard back from all the unis i applied to for Landscape Architecture which were Sheffield, Gloucestershire, Greenwich and Edinburgh. i only heard back from Edinburgh today and got my final offer! hope this helps?

I heard back from Edin!!! Landscape architecture unconditional! Where will you firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by sofia.p
I heard back from Edin!!! Landscape architecture unconditional! Where will you firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mind me asking was this for first year or 2nd?
Reply 8
Original post by rleckie
Do you mind me asking was this for first year or 2nd?

First year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending