The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
What shall I wear to my induction tomorrow? :biggrin:

I'm male btw. Working on Counters - Pizza section haha... feeling grey trousers, shoes and a white shirt?
Original post by SP0TIFY
What shall I wear to my induction tomorrow? :biggrin:

I'm male btw. Working on Counters - Pizza section haha... feeling grey trousers, shoes and a white shirt?

Yeah wearing shoes does help a lot! :') i'm joking

What you're suggesting wearing is fine :smile: quite a few people were more underdressed than what you're suggesting at my induction, although I wore practically the same as you!
Original post by Ryan105
Applied for a temporary tesco job online about 3 weeks ago and had a phone call this week inviting me to an interview. I asked if it was a one on one interview, or group interview and was told one on one. Does this mean they aren't doing a group interview (not complaining:smile: )?.

Also so I had an interview at asda a few months ago and passed everything and got the silver medalist thing - I did only put down 3 days I could work. Does anyone know if tesco do a similar thing, and ask when you can work and what days?

Group interview is the norm I think. I'd say you're guaranteed a 1 to 1 interview, then 80% chance of a group interview (think it depends on number of people)

I was asked about my availability like you said above and they were happy to accomodate to it. Mind the only times I couldn't work was a Mon Evening and Wed Morning. Obviously the more availability the better but they do seem quite flexible
Reply 1263
Original post by JackkkkkM
Yeah wearing shoes does help a lot! :') i'm joking

What you're suggesting wearing is fine :smile: quite a few people were more underdressed than what you're suggesting at my induction, although I wore practically the same as you!

thanks, there was only one other guy there, the rest were girls! :P But we both wore trousers shoes and a shirt (he also had a jumper; I had a jacket) so all went well :biggrin:
Hey, my job is a temp one until the 24th. I only am meant to be working sat/sun 10-2, but next week as I finish up for school, I will be working fri/sat/sun/mon/tues 10-5. Will I be paid this as overtime, my friend said something about if its your first month some places don't pay overtime? Can someone clarify if the overtime I would be doing would be paid. Cheers!
Original post by jshep000
Hey, my job is a temp one until the 24th. I only am meant to be working sat/sun 10-2, but next week as I finish up for school, I will be working fri/sat/sun/mon/tues 10-5. Will I be paid this as overtime, my friend said something about if its your first month some places don't pay overtime? Can someone clarify if the overtime I would be doing would be paid. Cheers!

Can't see any reason why you wouldn't be paid overtime. Ask your manager about it just to be sure though.
Original post by jshep000
I only do 4 hours Saturday, 4 hours Sunday, but my weekly pay is going to be £64. They do double-pay on sundays, so try to get some hours at least on a Sunday to boost the income even more. So The pay is around £5.40 I believe for us 16 year olds.

You're only paid £5.40? I'm 17 and my pay rate is £7.02 an hour, and they don't stagger their pay rates anymore depending on your age, because that Union Usdaw or something forced them to pay us kids the same wage as adults. Also, I'm 95% sure Sundays is Time and a half, so you get paid 50% more (my pay on Sundays is £10.51/hour), not double.
Reply 1267
Original post by eddie442
You're only paid £5.40? I'm 17 and my pay rate is £7.02 an hour, and they don't stagger their pay rates anymore depending on your age, because that Union Usdaw or something forced them to pay us kids the same wage as adults. Also, I'm 95% sure Sundays is Time and a half, so you get paid 50% more (my pay on Sundays is £10.51/hour), not double.

We're on the same rate :P

My sheet at induction said I do Tuesday 4:30pm-9pm and Saturday 4pm-10pm, even though I should be working 3pm-9pm that night. The team leader confused me with two other people in our section with the same name as me, lol, so I have a really messed up set of hours/days. I'm having to keep my own spreadsheet at home to make sure I get paid properly this coming friday!

Did you get paid for your induction?

I made the post when it was my first shifts, so I didn't really know I was jsut basing it off other supermarkets. That's pretty decent then, have to starting working more hours on a Sunday then, haha!
Hello everyone!
Just started checkouts today and have a few questions. I should have asked my managers but probably too late now.

They forgot to give us training and since it was so busy today, they stuck me and 3 other newcomers to tills.

Staff helped me do the pods for break/end shift.
I know how to pod now but where do I actually put the pod during break/end shift? (For lunch breaks, do I only pod £20s/vouchers/coupons)? I am asking cause thats what the guy replacing me did.

My next shift is next saturday/sunday. (Will I receive my uniform by then?)
Original post by pigs can fly
Hello everyone!
Just started checkouts today and have a few questions. I should have asked my managers but probably too late now.

They forgot to give us training and since it was so busy today, they stuck me and 3 other newcomers to tills.

Staff helped me do the pods for break/end shift.
I know how to pod now but where do I actually put the pod during break/end shift? (For lunch breaks, do I only pod £20s/vouchers/coupons)? I am asking cause thats what the guy replacing me did.

My next shift is next saturday/sunday. (Will I receive my uniform by then?)

No idea on your checkour questions sorry.

In regards to uniform... good luck!! Been there a month and a half, all I've got is a name badge and gloves. Doesn't really matter at the moment though as I'm more than happy to wear a christmas jumper
How is it like to work at Tesco Express?
Original post by chigyy

Pay is great compared to other supermarkets (£7.02/hour at my Express, and £10.51/hour on sundays). Work isn't hard but unless it's quiet and you've been stuck on the till you'll always be doing something. It really depends on what your colleagues are like you, if they're nice them you won't find working there that bad.
payday <3
Original post by JackkkkkM
No idea on your checkour questions sorry.

In regards to uniform... good luck!! Been there a month and a half, all I've got is a name badge and gloves. Doesn't really matter at the moment though as I'm more than happy to wear a christmas jumper

HAHAHAHA my uniform took a whole 6 months to arrive
Hey guys, having an issue with my wage. As you all know Tesco pay every 4 weeks, although prior to today (pay day) I had only done two weekends and the induction. The induction was 7 hours, so at £7.02 that's £49.14. Then I do 6 hours on a Saturday, then 6 on a Sunday. To take account of time and a half on Sundays, let's just say I do 9 hours on Sunday. So that's 15 hours a week, for a total of two weeks, so 30 hours at £7.02 is £210.60. £49.14 + £210.60 = £259.74. However. I was only paid around £185. Anyone know why this is? I assumed it would be because tax was accidentally paid (I don't think I earn enough to have to pay income tax), but even then the figures don't seem right. I can't think of any calculation that caused them to come to the number that they did. Any help?
Hey guys, having an issue with my wage. As you all know Tesco pay every 4 weeks, although prior to today (pay day) I had only done two weekends and the induction. The induction was 7 hours, so at £7.02 that's £49.14. Then I do 6 hours on a Saturday, then 6 on a Sunday. To take account of time and a half on Sundays, let's just say I do 9 hours on Sunday. So that's 15 hours a week, for a total of two weeks, so 30 hours at £7.02 is £210.60. £49.14 + £210.60 = £259.74. However. I was only paid around £185. Anyone know why this is? I assumed it would be because tax was accidentally paid (I don't think I earn enough to have to pay income tax), but even then the figures don't seem right. I can't think of any calculation that caused them to come to the number that they did. Any help?
When you get your payslip have a good look at it and check for tax that shouldn't have been paid and contact HMRC if this is the case, remembering that anyone over the age of 16 and earning above £153 per week is eligible to pay NI. Also, are you taking into account that all breaks are unpaid even on induction I'm sure of it. After you've checked all this and the figure is still lower than expected, ask your tl/manager to go over it with you and if they find you've been underpaid they will help you fill out a form to get your missing money.Hope this helps.
Original post by sean_james
When you get your payslip have a good look at it and check for tax that shouldn't have been paid and contact HMRC if this is the case, remembering that anyone over the age of 16 and earning above £153 per week is eligible to pay NI. Also, are you taking into account that all breaks are unpaid even on induction I'm sure of it. After you've checked all this and the figure is still lower than expected, ask your tl/manager to go over it with you and if they find you've been underpaid they will help you fill out a form to get your missing money.Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I only get £105 a week so I shouldn't be paying National Insurance. get 40 mins of break per 6 hours, which I didn't think of, but I can't see that taking away almost £80 from 2 weeks pay of £260. I'll speak to my boss anyway, but thanks for the input!

The cut off point for the pay is usually not the first Thursday (the day before payday), but the one before that. Any time worked after this will go into the next 4 weeks worth of pay. Hope this helps.
Original post by chigyy

Hard work, but great variety at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest