The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adamg12380
I wasn't to nervous when I actually done the reverse round the corner so easily. The rest of the driving test was fine. Come up to the Last round about, go through that then take a left and park(test centre) and pass!... right?

No.

I come up to the round about, van on my right, he takes off and then I take off, he stops and goes back? I panic keep going, car comes flying out of tesco towards me, test instructor hit the breaks, BAM. Fail.

He said I had a perfect drive, infact "The best in about a month" and "I'm so sorry mate, I really wish I could pass you but, I'll see you next time and give you your pass certificate if you do the same apart from the round about".

I'm not too down about it, I'm a bit pissed off. That car was going very very fast out of tesco, didn't even give way to his right, however I accept that I should of peeked again before continuing on the round about. My bad for observations.(He came from the right so technically I give way to him, but he wasn't there when I took off till like literally when I put some gas down, moved a little bit over the white line and BAM)

0 Minors, 1 Major.

Unlucky man. But never use anything smaller than a lorry as your cue to go if you can't see. If someone smashes into a lorry, it won't move. It someone smashes into a car on your right that you used as your cue to go as you couldn't see, it'll smash right through you too.
Original post by Shorty94
There's no quota. You're just bitter.

Exactly! If there's car trying to overtake you then there clearly is enough room to be able to speed up a bit
5th time lucky tomorrow! Nervous!
Original post by fluffylittlecat
5th time lucky tomorrow! Nervous!

Good luck!! I hope you pass :biggrin:
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Good luck!! I hope you pass :biggrin:

Me too! So badly!
Me too! So badly!

I know how it feels, I'll be onto my 4th test next year :frown:

Do you feel ready/excited for the test?
Original post by Travisto
Failed my second test on Tuesday. The worst part is I thought I'd done really well and was shocked when I was told I had failed.
1 serious fault for my lane positioning and 5 minors, so annoyed with myself and can't get another test till the end of January.
My first test was a complete disaster due to my nerves so feel that at least I've made an improvement, hopefully be third time lucky!

I failed my driving test twice! Both serious faults on the parrell park and the left reverse. On my 3rd test i passed with only one minor! It was 3rd tims lucky for me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ToastyCoke
Unlucky man. But never use anything smaller than a lorry as your cue to go if you can't see. If someone smashes into a lorry, it won't move. It someone smashes into a car on your right that you used as your cue to go as you couldn't see, it'll smash right through you too.

I think the reasoning is more that it generally takes longer for a lorry to pull out, so if they go then your good to go. Whereas smaller vehicles are more likely to nip out quick when perhaps they shouldn't.
Original post by TolerantBeing
I think the reasoning is more that it generally takes longer for a lorry to pull out, so if they go then your good to go. Whereas smaller vehicles are more likely to nip out quick when perhaps they shouldn't.

That doesn't matter, it's a safety issue, not a "it's a longer vehicle so I have time" issue. Some lorry drivers think their artic lorry is the length of a smart car and some car drivers think they're driving a limo. Point being is that if you use a small vehicle, it's gonna smash into you if it gets hit.

I won't even use a long wheelbase transit as cover for this reason.
That doesn't matter, it's a safety issue, not a "it's a longer vehicle so I have time" issue. Some lorry drivers think their artic lorry is the length of a smart car and some car drivers think they're driving a limo. Point being is that if you use a small vehicle, it's gonna smash into you if it gets hit.

I won't even use a long wheelbase transit as cover for this reason.

Well that's what my driving instructor and me mam told me. Although I suppose it does offer more protection.
Original post by TolerantBeing
Well that's what my driving instructor and me mam told me. Although I suppose it does offer more protection.

My instructor told me it was a protection thing. Good rule of thumb is to only use lorries anyway, whatever the reason behind it :ike:
My instructor told me it was a protection thing. Good rule of thumb is to only use lorries anyway, whatever the reason behind it :ike:

Yep. Although I used to feel nervous pulling out alongside them just because they are so opposing.
I know how it feels, I'll be onto my 4th test next year :frown:

Do you feel ready/excited for the test?

My last test was in August so hopefully, I should have improved! Wishing you all the luck for yours :smile:
My last test was in August so hopefully, I should have improved! Wishing you all the luck for yours :smile:

Have you been taking lessons since august to prepare for it?
Have you been taking lessons since august to prepare for it?

Yes, 1 a week since August. So hopefully I should be fine and won't have to keep coming home from uni for lessons.
Yes, 1 a week since August. So hopefully I should be fine and won't have to keep coming home from uni for lessons.

You should definitely pass! Why did you fail last time?
Aaaand I failed. Not surprised, nerves got the better of me. Got out of the test center, supposed to turn right and BAM! Stall. Really not sure why. I had managed to control it, stop myself and get back to it, but because a van was coming was a serious fault.

Obviously I was at fault and for most of the other faults, but two which I'm furious over.

Turn in the road - Not even exaggerating, the road was literally as wide as the car. The kerbs were those that are practically non-existent. Felt it was an unfair one, especially for a learner. Yes, I should of been able to do it, but it really was a horrible place for a maneuver.

Second, Emergency Stop - Did the emergency stop perfectly, looked all around, was literally in the middle of the lane, and took off. Apparently I hadn't looked around but I KNOW FOR AN ABSOLUTE FACT I looked all around, he claimed I hadn't.

Man was a bit mardy and robotic, but I don't blame him, it was obviously my faults.

Got to wait until the New Year now. Not really upset or mad (other than the things listed above) I really do think it was just nerves because I've only ever been in the car with my instructor and he had to stay behind. Ended up focusing too much on things I didn't need to.

Hoping another lesson or two will help me out - and a different time of day!

Just hope it doesn't begin snowing anytime soon!
Original post by alexforyou
Aaaand I failed. Not surprised, nerves got the better of me. Got out of the test center, supposed to turn right and BAM! Stall. Really not sure why. I had managed to control it, stop myself and get back to it, but because a van was coming was a serious fault.

Obviously I was at fault and for most of the other faults, but two which I'm furious over.

Turn in the road - Not even exaggerating, the road was literally as wide as the car. The kerbs were those that are practically non-existent. Felt it was an unfair one, especially for a learner. Yes, I should of been able to do it, but it really was a horrible place for a maneuver.

Second, Emergency Stop - Did the emergency stop perfectly, looked all around, was literally in the middle of the lane, and took off. Apparently I hadn't looked around but I KNOW FOR AN ABSOLUTE FACT I looked all around, he claimed I hadn't.

Man was a bit mardy and robotic, but I don't blame him, it was obviously my faults.

Got to wait until the New Year now. Not really upset or mad (other than the things listed above) I really do think it was just nerves because I've only ever been in the car with my instructor and he had to stay behind. Ended up focusing too much on things I didn't need to.

Hoping another lesson or two will help me out - and a different time of day!

Just hope it doesn't begin snowing anytime soon!

Don't worry, nerves get the better of us all at times! I stalled on a roundabout on my first test, I was so nervous I forgot to turn the engine back on and wondered why it wasn't moving (!!)
Was this your first one? The second was better for me because I knew what to expect. You will do it!
Reply 3538
Gutted,Failed my test today with 3 minors 1serious and 1 dangerous. I had a perfect drive up-to the last 7mins going back to the test center which was even more gutting! I had relay bad lesson the day before then a huge meltdown before my test. But when i got in the car with the examiner i felt at ease Drove off nicely emergency stopped fine. lane positioning fine. come to the last few mins of my test i approach a cross road with a lane to the left to go forward and left, Then a lane to the right to go right. And obviously the on coming traffic. Traffic was very buys this day,and i under estimated the gap to get into the right lane so i could go right. and came over to the right like i should then back left,but their was oncoming traffic and the gap was really tight which caused the examiner to grab the wheel to guide me through. then coming into the test center i did a bay park. Clutch control and all around checks was fine reversing slowly,coming into the bay slowly. As i come in straight i took my foot to far of the clutch causing me to come back fast and not time to react and hitting the kurb. Gutted but i am now re booked for feb. with knowledge of how the test goes i am confident:smile:
Original post by realus
Gutted,Failed my test today with 3 minors 1serious and 1 dangerous. I had a perfect drive up-to the last 7mins going back to the test center which was even more gutting! I had relay bad lesson the day before then a huge meltdown before my test. But when i got in the car with the examiner i felt at ease Drove off nicely emergency stopped fine. lane positioning fine. come to the last few mins of my test i approach a cross road with a lane to the left to go forward and left, Then a lane to the right to go right. And obviously the on coming traffic. Traffic was very buys this day,and i under estimated the gap to get into the right lane so i could go right. and came over to the right like i should then back left,but their was oncoming traffic and the gap was really tight which caused the examiner to grab the wheel to guide me through. then coming into the test center i did a bay park. Clutch control and all around checks was fine reversing slowly,coming into the bay slowly. As i come in straight i took my foot to far of the clutch causing me to come back fast and not time to react and hitting the kurb. Gutted but i am now re booked for feb. with knowledge of how the test goes i am confident:smile:

That's how I feel. Knowing how the test is now I can be more prepared I think. Also, re-evaluating I feel like I rushed my maneuver too.

I also think the fact I've not done any mock tests didn't help either. I mean, I've done 31 hours of learning, no independent driving other than those hours with the instructor. Unfortunately I won't be doing any learning over the Holiday Season, but looking at the dates for the available tests, I should be doing my second before the end of January.