The Student Room Group

CRB Check - Has anyone had problems with a caution?

Scroll to see replies

Hi David,

I accepted a police caution for theft from a shop (formally known as shop lifting) - Makeup related this was received 14/1/14 almost 1 year ago. I was 23years (going on 24years) at the time I accepted the caution and admitted the offence. I am aware that a simple police caution is filtered off after 6years. So in this case, the caution will be considered spent when I am of 29years (going on 30years) The year of spent caution will be: 2020. I am also aware that declaring to remove such caution will only be considered if, and only when this becomes spent. Which means right now this is considered "un-spent". I wanted to know if my name will indefinitely appear on the Childrens Barred List, and Adults Barred List? According to the ISA. As I will be receiving an Enhanced DBS check, for the position to work as a Domiciliary care worker. I have disclosed this with my employer, upon application. I have been researching into this and cannot locate any relevant source of information for this particular matter. This was my first (and last) offence. I am worried that I have ruined my chances of working in any job sectors, such as working with Children, Adults, Retail, Community Related Work, Charity Organisations. As this was only a "slap on the wrist" according to the police sergeant. Does this mean I no longer have the opportunity to apply for this job? Or any work relating to care work? Or related NHS work?

When my details are sent to DBS, upon receiving my Enhanced DBS check will a decision be made regarding the suitability of me working with children or vulnerable adults? Or does accepting the simple police caution of: Theft, automatically Barr me completely? (because of the nature of the caution)

Also, what is the Serious List of Offences?

(My Caution details recorded)
CONTRARY TO SECTION 1 (1) AND 7 OF tHE THEFT ACT 1968
H.O. 46/None Local None

Is Theft (shop lifting) considered serious, even though it is a simple caution, was admitted, and was a first offence.

Please, if you are able to respond. It will be truly appreciated. Thank you

Renee.
Hi I recieved a caution on 18th of February 2009 will that still show on a crb check because I was told after 5 years it will not show. I know it's nearly 6 years ago but I have just applied for a job asking if I have a caution or conviction so not sure what to put on the form because it's nearly 6 years and it should be filtered under the new law
Reply 122
I wouldn't worry abut it unless you have some kind of sexual related offence or drug related or fraud offence, employers are usually fine. After 5 years your offences are spent anyways and as far as im aware don't appear on a Standard CRB check. Obviously if your workin with vulnerable people or kids employer may Enhance CRB check you. I have some history from a miss spent youth.
Hi my wife was cautioned for theft in Jan 2012 it has shows on CRB checks ever since. What's annoying is that she had spend over £100 on a weekly shop and had a plastic Bag of makup worth about £20 on the rear of the trolley that she forgot to put in with the rest of the shopping it was a accident and she offered to pay and apologised for the miss understanding but she was took away in a police van and cautioned! My question is will this show on her CRB for life because it's so embarrassing for her when she has to explain what happened.
Does a caution for theft (shop lifting) appear on a DBS check? I'm a teacher.
Hi
Am also in same situation could any one able to help us,please
Thanks

Original post by masgharff
"Message : offene; Solicit another for the purpose of obtaining their sexual services as a prostitutie in a street/public place. contrary to section 51 A of the sexual offences act 2003
This was the caution given by police to me on 09/07/2013 they took my DNA, figure print and photograph as well. it will ruined my life and my future.my employer do vetting next year and they will find out and they will dismiss me as well i cant apply for nhs jobs.all doors are closed now. i dont want to live any more because if any one find about this i can't explain how bad is it for me.please please help me.i never done any crime in my life thats the first time i can do anything to remove myself from this.Thanks"
Is there any way i can remove that.Police told me that time it is just a warning if i will accept it otherwise they will take me to court i was so depressed at that time i find it easy way.
But I RELISE NOW IT DESTROYED MY WHOLE LIFE CAN U PLEASE HELP ME
Hi I was accused of a malicious allegation of theft at work there was a statement put to work and the police about me off this person and they didn't even match, I proved I wasn't in work at the time she said it went missing, but she changed the time again etc anyway it ended up in court I was found unanimously not guilty, will this apear on a crb check?
Reply 127
Please help me I have been accused of shoplifting two days ago at boots for £1,75 nail clipper after I was just spent £25 in the store and I stupidly put in my bag and thought I will pay for it later and by the door I have been stopped by the security and I tried to explain that I did not meant and I was not sure to get it or not and I bagged him to allow me to pay for it and let me and to pay even charge for the store to allow me to go but they called the police and they come to the store which they take my details and done criminal check and he said I'm afraid you used to be a good chartater pervoiusly not anyone and said I have two option to accepting being quilty and sign a statement or to go to the the police station to be held in a cell so I sign I was panicking and crying so I sign the statement .the store said they will not place any charge but banned from the store and the police officer said that to place donation to the store and I volunteer wanted to also pay for the nail clipper which I did.
I know I was completely stupid not sure how I was thinking and I wish I can reverse the time. I have not slept since I wish I sleep and never wake up again EVER.
I'm not sure what will happen. Please please help me I'm getting crazy I can not belive that my whole career and life has been ruined with such stupid mistake Will this appear in my CRB check???? as I work in accountant and I was going through job moving .
Please please help.
Original post by c_lewis_r
Hi my wife was cautioned for theft in Jan 2012 it has shows on CRB checks ever since. What's annoying is that she had spend over £100 on a weekly shop and had a plastic Bag of makup worth about £20 on the rear of the trolley that she forgot to put in with the rest of the shopping it was a accident and she offered to pay and apologised for the miss understanding but she was took away in a police van and cautioned! My question is will this show on her CRB for life because it's so embarrassing for her when she has to explain what happened.

hi,if you dont mind me asking what type of jobs is she applying for does it involve working with children or vulnerable adults? reason i ask is because i was under the impression a caution would only effect people applying for these sensitive jobs.
Reply 129
Hi,
In summer of 2012 I accepted a simple caution for travel fare. I'm applying for a dbs check to work in a secondary school. Will my simple caution show up?
Also is there any chance I could appeal to remove it as I wasn't given the opportunity to pay a fine..I don't know why that didn't come to mind at the time.
Thanks
Original post by Begzzz
Hi,
In summer of 2012 I accepted a simple caution for travel fare. I'm applying for a dbs check to work in a secondary school. Will my simple caution show up?
Also is there any chance I could appeal to remove it as I wasn't given the opportunity to pay a fine..I don't know why that didn't come to mind at the time.
Thanks

How old have you been at the time. If you were under 18 then it is probably filtered off by now. If you were over that then it will 99.9% show up (it takes 6 years to filter it off for adults).
And you won't be able to get it off, it will stay there forever (or until your 99). Don't confuse filtering with disappearing. Filtering means it won't show on a DBS but its still on record, so for example it would still show on a police certificate (if you ever need a visa etc…)
Hope it helps. Good luck!
Original post by benji385
How old have you been at the time. If you were under 18 then it is probably filtered off by now. If you were over that then it will 99.9% show up (it takes 6 years to filter it off for adults).
And you won't be able to get it off, it will stay there forever (or until your 99). Don't confuse filtering with disappearing. Filtering means it won't show on a DBS but its still on record, so for example it would still show on a police certificate (if you ever need a visa etc…)
Hope it helps. Good luck!

what sort of jobs need a dbs? isnt it only jobs for working with children and vulnerable adults?
Original post by chosenone93
what sort of jobs need a dbs? isnt it only jobs for working with children and vulnerable adults?

Well, those need the enhanced test, or anything military related, defence technology, secret services etc. Also bear in mind that u dot necessarily have to work with children, even if u are just working for a school as an IT guy and have nothing to do with children, u still will be enhanced checked. Taxi drivers are also enhanced checks.

And then there is a standard check, which applies to a lot of different jobs. perhaps most notably finance, accounting, government…Im sure that a little bit of googling could give u a good idea

And basic check can be done on any jobs, but that only shows unspent convictions, so unless u've ever been in prison u have not much to worry abt. Also a lot of jobs won't be bothered to do a basic check even though they could.

A good way to know if u gonna be standard/enhanced checked is to have a good look at the application form. If in that they only ask abt unspent convictions, then chances are they dont have the right to know about spent convictions and therefore won't be able to do a standard/enhanced check. If they also ask abt ur unspent convictions then there is a good chance that they have the power to do such tests and chances are they will.

hope this helps. Im not an expert myself either, just happened to research the topic a bit due to personal reasons :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, those need the enhanced test, or anything military related, defence technology, secret services etc. Also bear in mind that u dot necessarily have to work with children, even if u are just working for a school as an IT guy and have nothing to do with children, u still will be enhanced checked. Taxi drivers are also enhanced checks.

And then there is a standard check, which applies to a lot of different jobs. perhaps most notably finance, accounting, government…Im sure that a little bit of googling could give u a good idea

And basic check can be done on any jobs, but that only shows unspent convictions, so unless u've ever been in prison u have not much to worry abt. Also a lot of jobs won't be bothered to do a basic check even though they could.

A good way to know if u gonna be standard/enhanced checked is to have a good look at the application form. If in that they only ask abt unspent convictions, then chances are they dont have the right to know about spent convictions and therefore won't be able to do a standard/enhanced check. If they also ask abt ur unspent convictions then there is a good chance that they have the power to do such tests and chances are they will.

hope this helps. Im not an expert myself either, just happened to research the topic a bit due to personal reasons :colondollar:

ahh cheers i'm a final year uni student with an unspent caution (long story/misunderstanding) for theft of mail (had the honour of accepting one in 2013) just a bit anxious on how this could possibly effect me as i'm an IT guy.
ahh cheers i'm a final year uni student with an unspent caution (long story/misunderstanding) for theft of mail (had the honour of accepting one in 2013) just a bit anxious on how this could possibly effect me as i'm an IT guy.

well, thats not good, an unspent conviction can show even on a basic check, which is what u could be asked to do as an IT guy (in rare cases like bank IT it might be standard depending on how much responsibility u have, school/hospital IT job definitely enhanced), therefore i think it would be far to risky not disclosing it, as if they find out out without u telling them first ur fired. If u tell them, then they might not hire u, but at least once they do, u have a safe job.
Do you know how long till it turns spent? once that happens u are good with most IT jobs without disclosing it as they won't find it just by doing a basic check.
well, thats not good, an unspent conviction can show even on a basic check, which is what u could be asked to do as an IT guy (in rare cases like bank IT it might be standard depending on how much responsibility u have, school/hospital IT job definitely enhanced), therefore i think it would be far to risky not disclosing it, as if they find out out without u telling them first ur fired. If u tell them, then they might not hire u, but at least once they do, u have a safe job.
Do you know how long till it turns spent? once that happens u are good with most IT jobs without disclosing it as they won't find it just by doing a basic check.

its actually a caution i have rather than conviction i received it in January 2013 so it will be spent in just under 4 years. i just hope I'm not asked to declare it
its actually a caution i have rather than conviction i received it in January 2013 so it will be spent in just under 4 years. i just hope I'm not asked to declare it

That is new to me (like I said I'm not an expert) but according to what I read online a caution is spent immediately as you receive it and therefore its a spent conviction and only comes up for standard and enhanced dbs checks.

In my opinion such thing as unspent caution does not exist, so you either have something other than a caution or you must be wrong about the unspent bit.

Either way, any application form asks about unspent convictions so try to very quickly figure out what is that you have and whether its spent or unspent!
One way to find out what the police has on you is to request a "subject access" you can do that online and it will show everything (even things that would not be shown on a DBS). The other way is that it is actually possible to do a basic dbs check on yourself through the scottish dbs website (google it), that would show what your employer would see on a basic check, if it comes back clean then you are basically good to apply for any basic dbs jobs without declaring anything.
Hi David

I hope you don't mind me contacting you but I have a question of Police cautions if you don't mind! I received a Police caution for criminal damage for breaking a window at a public house in Swindon in 1977, I was fined £50 and got a telling off at the same time by the magistrate. I have since served in the armed forces service police and have has also been employed in many jobs since, security in particular and not once have I been declined any work!

I am now completing an application form which will allow me access into certain sensitive areas and I am wondering if I should admit this.

Please can you advise me.

Many thanks

Neil
Reply 138
Hi David. I need some help. In 1999, I was cautioned for shoplifting. Now I am applying for the british citizenship but not sure if this will come up in the checks that the home office does to applicants. Please can you HELP me? I would have suspected that this record would have been taken off after 5 years. Many thanks.
Hi guys
I have a caution for a fight i punched someone.
Is that will affect of getting a SIA security licence?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending