The Student Room Group

Can you fail a driving test on manoeuvres?

Hi, I have booked my test for a few weeks time, but the issue I really have is with manoeuvres. I plan on practicing these in my upcoming lessons, but I know on the day this is what I will be most nervous about. So I was wondering if you can fail a test just on manoeuvres? When I looked it up online it said that people do, but that it is for ineffective observation, hitting the kerb etc. But if my observation was fine, and for instance I went wide when reversing around a corner, would this count as a fail, or just a minor? And the same with the other manoeuvres?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thik someone said 2 days ago they failed for not looking enough when reversing round a corner.

As for hitting the kerb - I thought that was instant fail: which is right, if you cannot control the vehicle without hitting things you shouldn't be out on your own. Going wide is no better: reversing round a corner and ramming someone because you're on the wrong side of the road shows you do not know how to handle the vehicle.

Thirdly, not knowing what can make you fail the test should be enough evidence to show you are not ready to take the test.
Reply 2
Ouch. Was just a question!
Reply 3
Yeah I failed my second test for going too close to a parked car trying to correct my parallel park. Somebody I know failed on their reverse round the corner for not turning the wheel soon enough and ending up on other side of the road
I failed one of my 3 driving tests for my reverse park.

When I was reversing, there was another learner having a lesson. Whilst I was reversing that was slowly creeping forward to squeeze through the very tight gap that was there... I failed because I apparently didn't know that they was there.

I was fully aware they was there, although I would have thought they should have stopped until I had finished.

My sister also failed her reverse around the corner because of going to wide, its all easily done though...

Once you've got the hang of it you're fine.
My instructor told me that if you're too wide on a reverse round the corner they can fail you, but it depends on the situation. For example, if you're blocking the other side of the road because the car has come too far out or you're not keeping to the shape of the corner. You can also fail on a parallel park if you're too far away from the curb, which can be easy to do but they see it as a major fault. Unfortunately, a bad manoeuvre can fail you even if the rest of your drive was faultless.
Don't let it panic you though as that's what I did and I failed first time because I was so nervous and worked up. Just drive the best you can and remember that the examiner doesn't want to automatically fail you, they are looking to potentially pass you. Just focus as much as you can on areas you feel you need to and I'm sure you will be fine :smile:
I went quite wide when reversing round a corner as long as you observed enough and stay on the right side of the road you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you get a major then yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
On the test that I passed, I hit the curb when doing my parallel parking manoeuvres. My instructor constantly said that if you do that, you fail, but to my surprise at the end of the test, the examiner passed me and I only got a minor for it.

Don't worry, I don't hit other things when I'm out and about like other people have insinuated in this thread :biggrin:[h="1"]
Reply 9
I failed yesterday on parallel parking alone. Racked up 10 minors so I'd have passed, but 5 minutes before the end of my test I had to parallel park and gained 2 serious faults just over this: Your serious faults Reverse park (road) Control Reverse park (road) Observation. This is copied and pasted from my emailed results. Basically I ended up about 2 ft away from the kerb. I'd have only gained a minor for this if I hadn't then gained the brilliant idea to try and adjust it - with cars waiting behind me. I ended up reversing over 4 car spaces back doing a snake motion to try and adjust it - reversing right then left - and ended up even further away from the kerb than I was originally. The observation was because I'd tried correcting it with cars waiting behind me - classed as lack of observation for making a decision that made it appear as if I'd not observed the dangers of cars attempting to pass me. And the control was obviously going too far back and still failing to adjust my position. Basically morel of the story is - I should have just left it as I was originally, let the waiting cars pass - as there was enough room at that point, then driven on. But my actions were bad decisions and dangerous.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by BellaVS
I failed yesterday on parallel parking alone. Racked up 10 minors so I'd have passed, but 5 minutes before the end of my test I had to parallel park and gained 2 serious faults just over this: Your serious faults Reverse park (road) Control Reverse park (road) Observation. This is copied and pasted from my emailed results. Basically I ended up about 2 ft away from the kerb. I'd have only gained a minor for this if I hadn't then gained the brilliant idea to try and adjust it - with cars waiting behind me. I ended up reversing over 4 car spaces back doing a snake motion to try and adjust it - reversing right then left - and ended up even further away from the kerb than I was originally. The observation was because I'd tried correcting it with cars waiting behind me - classed as lack of observation for making a decision that made it appear as if I'd not observed the dangers of cars attempting to pass me. And the control was obviously going too far back and still failing to adjust my position. Basically morel of the story is - I should have just left it as I was originally, let the waiting cars pass - as there was enough room at that point, then driven on. But my actions were bad decisions and dangerous.

Ouch, You obv appreciate why that is a fail, not safe decision making :/

For future, if you've messed your initial angle up, you can ask the examiner to let you try again, they don't HAVE to let you, but don't ask, don't get. I messed mine up, made sure i was safe, and asked if could try again, guy just pointed a few cars down and said 'in behind that one'
Yes, i have failed 3 of my 6 tests on manoeuvres. My turn in the road was perfect, my bay park was ok, I was failed for lack of observation on my reverse round a corner and I made a pigs ear of my parallel park was so pissed of with the latter cos I had done it perfectly in the last lesson before my test.
Reply 12
Original post by StriderHort
Ouch, You obv appreciate why that is a fail, not safe decision making :/

For future, if you've messed your initial angle up, you can ask the examiner to let you try again, they don't HAVE to let you, but don't ask, don't get. I messed mine up, made sure i was safe, and asked if could try again, guy just pointed a few cars down and said 'in behind that one'

He was lovely said get booked straight back in and nail the parallel parking leading up to it so booked in for 22nd. I just panic Ive got numerous mental health difficulties and i get so paniky when im under test like situations. He said I'm a good driver over all just feel relaxed knowing its only parallel parking that got me can easily sort that out
Reply 13
I failed my first attempt today for doing a reverse parallel park …. Whilst doing the manoeuvre a car came speeding down the road and had to stop waiting for me , half way through me doing the park and because I didn’t abandon the manoeuvre and pull out and carry on driving the examiner failed me on that which I though was a bit harsh tbh
Reply 14
Original post by Fitzi
I failed my first attempt today for doing a reverse parallel park …. Whilst doing the manoeuvre a car came speeding down the road and had to stop waiting for me , half way through me doing the park and because I didn’t abandon the manoeuvre and pull out and carry on driving the examiner failed me on that which I though was a bit harsh tbh

They didn't want you to abandon it, they wanted you to stop and give them a chance to move past. We call it not making effective use of observations
I've just turned 18 recently, and I plan on buying a car at the end of January 2022.

I have about 2k to spend on the car upfront.

I need a reliable car to not break down on the motorway as I'm going to be driving around 10 miles to work and 10 miles back home, 5 day a week. (Around 100 miles a week)

I've been looking at the Peugeot 207 and the Hyundai i10 and i20. I have heard that the 207 isn't very reliable, so was just looking for recommendations.

I have also been looking at the Suzuki Alto, Toyota Aygo and Citroen C1. The Suzuki and Toyota have been the most appealing but I am still unsure.
Reply 16
Original post by user432
I've just turned 18 recently, and I plan on buying a car at the end of January 2022.

I have about 2k to spend on the car upfront.

I need a reliable car to not break down on the motorway as I'm going to be driving around 10 miles to work and 10 miles back home, 5 day a week. (Around 100 miles a week)

I've been looking at the Peugeot 207 and the Hyundai i10 and i20. I have heard that the 207 isn't very reliable, so was just looking for recommendations.

I have also been looking at the Suzuki Alto, Toyota Aygo and Citroen C1. The Suzuki and Toyota have been the most appealing but I am still unsure.

Could you create your own thread instead of randomly posting on an unrelated one
Original post by TheDE
Could you create your own thread instead of randomly posting on an unrelated one

mb im new to this
Original post by user432
mb im new to this

You said that half an hour ago and are still bumping completely unrelated threads with your question. Stop.
Original post by user432
are you a law enforcement officer? relax you jokeman this is thestudentroom

Yes, I am.

You're creating a huge amount amount of work to remove all your posts. Congrats on generating so little goodwill that no one will answer your question though.

Latest

Trending

Trending