The Student Room Group

Nexplanon Reviews?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by autonomousAlana
Hi, I have recently had the nexplanon contraceptive implant put in but really I want to know what it was like for you personally, whether it was good or the worst experience of your life.

It was easy to put in, I didn't have my period for the first two weeks, after that I've been on my period since, it's heavy at first and now it is just spotting. I'm wondering does anyone else have this? It's kind of a mood killer, the constant spotting. Waiting till it's been six months, then I'll be able to have the implant removed :confused:
I had mine put in a few weeks after my son was born. March 15, 2015 (my extraction date) will make 3 years since its insertion. I've read that some women had no bleeding at all, but I only stop bleeding for a few days every few weeks. I bled for like 6 months straight right after I got it. I've gained about 40 pounds as well. This being said, I'm pretty depressed and I regret ever opting for the nexplanon. I was so proud of myself for slimming down after my pregnancy, but now I'm bigger than I was before I was ever pregnant! I can't wait to get it removed! My periods were always normal before Nexplanon. Now they come and go as the please (extremely frustrating). My extraction date is only a few months away, but I'm going to see about getting it out sooner. I feel like a different person lately. I'm clumsy, dizzy, always exhausted, irritable, and extremely emotional lately and I think it's because of my implant. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. My arm is still tender every now and then where they put the implant. The weirdest part is that it gets tender when I start to bleed. Nexplanon was definitely not for me, but I haven't gotten pregnant again. That's the only positive thing I have to say about my implant.
Reply 122
I've had nexplanon since Feb 2014 and it was great at first. Not I feel a stabbing in my implant arm that makes me think its broken when it feels fine to the touch, I've had constant spotting/bleeding for the last month, my mood went from loving life and my family to me not wanting to be around my fiance or kids for more then 5 minutes before I have a panic attack. I am getting mine taken put asap. I hate lashing out and not realizing it until its too late and this bleeding has got to stop. Really puts a damper on being engaged! DONT GET IT! IT WILL SEEM GREAT AT FIRST THEN COMPLETELY CHANGE YOU!
Reply 123
Hello! I've had the Nexplanon for almost 2 months now. Right after the 1 month of the Nexplanon I bleed for 4weeks straight. My periods weren't heavy only enough to wear panty liners (like heavy spotting). My bleeding finally stopped! :smile:
I haven't gained weight yet due to that I'm currently active, exercise, and try to eat healthy. I have just noticed that the bruising from the implenon hasn't disappeared after 2 months due to that I lift weights.
Also I have noticed that I'm in a horrible mood lately.. Worst than what I was. Other than that I love not being on the pill! It's great totally recomend it. Nexplanon is clinicly proven not to make you gain weight. People who have gain weight on the Nexplanon are finding an excuse to blame the weight gain on the birth control.
(edited 9 years ago)
I had trouble taking pills as it make me feel really sick, so the implant was the next best option for me! I got it in late November and for the first few weeks felt fine and normal. But now I've been on my period since the 4th of January and I'm allready finding it unbearable! I just hope that it doesn't carry on for too much longer as I'd rather avoid taking the pills that help regulate periods, only because the reason I went on the implant was so that I wouldn't have to constantly take pills and feel sick all the time!
The other issue for me is my confidence levels have just dropped massively, I just want to hide in massive jumpers so people cant see the spots literally covering my chest and back, its bad enough having acne on my face as it is! And all this has been since I had Nexplanon put in. I never had an issue with spots apart from the slight one or two when I was on the pill.
Adding to the massive lack of confidence my mood swings are literally everywhere! One minute I'll be bursting into floods of tears and the next I'll be shouting at my partner to just leave me alone! It makes me feel like I treat him horribly especially as I don't really want him to leave me because then I get all emotional and think I'm a total loner in the world! I've always been quite emotional but never this bad!
I know I haven't been on Nexoplanon for long and hopefully things will change soon! But there must be a way for people to be able to reduce these side effects without having to go to pills!
Its just mainly the acne and bleeding that get on my nerves because they just make me feel depressed and think that my partners not interested in me any more, I know this is definitely not true and is just the Nexplanon making me think differently
In reality he treats me amazingly and supports me in everything I do! And I'd have taken it out already if it wasn't for him!
I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas how to reduce the side effects?
I had the implant for 3 years was great apart from I didn't no when my period was coming or anything there was no regular times at all I'm now on the 2nd one it's due out jam and I carnt wait my periods are lasting 2 weeks of more it's driving me mad I've gone of sex completely just don't feel like it and I get moody so quickly
Reply 126
Last had it 2 and a half years ago when I tried to get pregnant with my ex which never happened haha, i experienced bleeding towards the end last time, had another one put in today so I'll see how it goes, perhaps have to take the pill with it to regulate bleeding if it comes to it
Best for me! I had it put in a year ago September and it's so nice to just be able to forget about the pill. My only worry is when it comes to taking it out... Putting it in was fine but you never seem to hear anything about it being taken out 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile
Been a nightmare for me! Getting out this week, can't wait.
Original post by NatashaW93
Best for me! I had it put in a year ago September and it's so nice to just be able to forget about the pill. My only worry is when it comes to taking it out... Putting it in was fine but you never seem to hear anything about it being taken out 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile

Getting it taken out is fine. Small local anaesthetic and then a tiny incision. Barely felt it either time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 130
Okay! I've been on nexplanon for 10 months. No period at all. After 4 months I got a cyst in my chest. It went away Dr said it was fine. Now I am experiencing this weird pains all over my body. Weird headaches. I am taking this out. I am scared.
Ive had the nexplanon going on 2 years in october .. and ive been reading blogs from other women who have it as well ... the first year it was great going on the second and im really debating going and having it removed and switching to something else. Im noy bleeding at all .. but ive gotten daily migraines, im always tired, acme out of no where, abdominal pain, back pain shoots from my knees to my upper neck and back down into my arm where the nexplanon is located, frequent mood swings (not sure if its worse now but ive been diagnosed with depression and bipolar) i know ive always been this way ... have really achy joints. Its to the point where these side effects are so painful that i literally want to cry.

Did any of you other ladies experience this?
Original post by autonomousAlana
Hi, I have recently had the nexplanon contraceptive implant put in but really I want to know what it was like for you personally, whether it was good or the worst experience of your life.

Hi, there's another thread on this forum about the nexplanon implant with a bunch of side-effects. Some people have been experiencing weight gain and painful breasts amongst other things. Hope that helps.
Ive had the implant for almost two weeks now and i was due my period earlier this week but nothing has came. Im very worried and just wondering if this is normal or if i might be pregnant. Since getting the implant in, i have been constantly bloated and very moody, i think ill keep it in for a while longer to see if things improve but if they dont, i will certainly be having it removed.
It's different for everyone. My friend has it and her periods stopped completely, no weight gain, absolutely perfect, but I've had mine almost a year now and I've had irregular bleeding for the whole time. It's a lot less than a normal period though, just mainly spotting but it's annoying for obvious reasons. Other than the bleeding though it's perfect for me, I haven't had any mood swings or weight gain/loss, and you really can't even feel it in your arm once it's healed. I was prescribed the mini pill with the implant for a while to stop the bleeding and it worked perfectly but caused me to be really emotional so now I just have to deal with the irregular bleeding :frown: I would recommend it though as you don't have to think about contraception for 3 years.
Reply 135
Original post by anonymouzme
Ive had the implant for almost two weeks now and i was due my period earlier this week but nothing has came. Im very worried and just wondering if this is normal or if i might be pregnant. Since getting the implant in, i have been constantly bloated and very moody, i think ill keep it in for a while longer to see if things improve but if they dont, i will certainly be having it removed.

Getting the implant really messes up your periods for a while so don't be too worried about missing one. It can take around 3 months for your body to adjust to the hormones as well so try and stick it out for a while as it can be perfect when it settles down.
I Had The Nexplanon Implant in January 2015 No Bleeding For 38 Days A Week After Stopping I Started Spotting And Didnt Stop For 2 months Then Have One Day With Nothing Next Day Started Spotting Again And Still Hasnt Stoped Any Idea When It Will Let Up Or How I Can Regulate It Having It Out Is Not A Option As Can Not Take Pill Due To Medication i Am On
I didn't have a very good experience with nexplanon, about two weeks after it was put in I started bleeding and didn't stop until I was given the pill to control it, I also had crazy mood swings!
I hate it. I've been on it for 2 weeks now & haven't stop bleeding. These cramps & mood swings aren't helping either. ADVISE PLEASE ?!!
Reply 139
I bled for a month at a time when I first got mine but then after 6 months my periods stopped altogether :smile: Thinking of carrying on with implants even though I have no need, just so I don't have to have periods again

Quick Reply

Latest