The Student Room Group

Edexcel Drama and Theatre Unit 4

Scroll to see replies

I'm preparing for my written exam in June at the moment, but I'm struggling with the timing and the structure of paragraphs. I got a B in my AS and would really love to get a B this year too, or even an A but I know this exam could really bring my grade down. Has anyone got any tips or advice they could give me??
Hey,

Are you doing Shakespeare side, section C I believe? I'm currently doing that, it'd be great if we could share ideas as I really want an A too!:smile:
Yeah I'm doing Shakespeare for section C and Lysistrata for section A and B. What performance did you see for Shakespeare?? I saw Othello by Frantic Assembly. I am literally making revision cards right now of rehearsal techniques for section A!!
Original post by lozzaface
Yeah I'm doing Shakespeare for section C and Lysistrata for section A and B. What performance did you see for Shakespeare?? I saw Othello by Frantic Assembly. I am literally making revision cards right now of rehearsal techniques for section A!!

I'm so glad you made this post, as I also saw Frantic Assembly's Othello! I'm finding it really hard to make specific examples between the two contexts - making a basic comparison is pretty easy but in order to get A grades the modern example has to be pretty detailed :frown:. How have you managed this? Our teacher gave us NO warning of what the exam was going to be like before we saw it and therefore we didn't make many relevant notes so now I'm completely panicking! At least you're starting revision early :smile:
Original post by 1234girl567
I'm so glad you made this post, as I also saw Frantic Assembly's Othello! I'm finding it really hard to make specific examples between the two contexts - making a basic comparison is pretty easy but in order to get A grades the modern example has to be pretty detailed :frown:. How have you managed this? Our teacher gave us NO warning of what the exam was going to be like before we saw it and therefore we didn't make many relevant notes so now I'm completely panicking! At least you're starting revision early :smile:

Well my class has started making mind maps of specific moments in the performance and picking out all of the different aspects from it, e.g. acting, lighting, sound, costume and all that jazz. Then for each thing in that we've got a bubble coming off about the directors intentions and the original performance conditions. So this way, we have specific moments with a whole load of comparisons between the two eras. I think it is really helpful, especially since the question could ask about any aspect. I have a mock on Tuesday, I am petrified!!
Hi guys, I am studying Woyzeck for A+B and Othello by Frantic Assembly for C. My biggest issue is section B, i have my concept and everything but structuring is so hard :frown: anyone found any good resources/ exemplar essays for section b? Even if its not Woyzeck, just for structure!!
Hey, I'm doing Woyzeck for Section A and B which I'm kind of okay with and then Frantic Assembly Othello for Section C which I am very worried about as I can hardly remember the play. Anyone got any resources for Section C to do specifically with the Othello play? Would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 287
hey
i am doing woyzeck and the white devil
any idea how to revise for this exam?
Reply 288
Original post by loisg21
Hey, I'm doing Woyzeck for Section A and B which I'm kind of okay with and then Frantic Assembly Othello for Section C which I am very worried about as I can hardly remember the play. Anyone got any resources for Section C to do specifically with the Othello play? Would be much appreciated :smile:

hey sorry I'm doing white devil for section c but i am really stuck on section A/B how to you revise them any tips?
Reply 289
Hi,

Im in the process of making revision cards as well. Are you focusing on practitioners or just unique rehearsal techniques?

I saw Othello also but I'm struggling to make notes on it. Our teacher is trying to get a DVD copy of it at the moment as apparently they recently recorded it.

So hopefully that will help. Has your teacher given you any exemplar essays?

Reply 290
Hi,

That seems like a great idea with the mind maps. If possible would you be able to attach some exemplar essays or notes you have on Othello so we are able to compare.

Thanks

Well my class has started making mind maps of specific moments in the performance and picking out all of the different aspects from it, e.g. acting, lighting, sound, costume and all that jazz. Then for each thing in that we've got a bubble coming off about the directors intentions and the original performance conditions. So this way, we have specific moments with a whole load of comparisons between the two eras. I think it is really helpful, especially since the question could ask about any aspect. I have a mock on Tuesday, I am petrified!!
Reply 291
Hi :smile:

I'm doing frantic assembly too... There's the actual frantic assembly Othello book on WHSmiths which is quite helpful if you've forgotten it.

I'm also doing Woyzeck and my teacher is really rushing us on the concept (she's given us a week even though we've had months to come up with it) but I'm really stuck on what to do for my concept, what is everyone else doing?
(Obviously I won't steel your concept, I just want some ideas :P )

Thank you :smile:
Reply 292
Hi,

my friend did her concept set in a playground to show the play from the childs perspective...... She got an a so it must have been a good idea!!!

Have you been doing much on shakespearian theatre??? Im a little bit confused

thanks

d

Original post by zo-e
hi :smile:

i'm doing frantic assembly too... There's the actual frantic assembly othello book on whsmiths which is quite helpful if you've forgotten it.

I'm also doing woyzeck and my teacher is really rushing us on the concept (she's given us a week even though we've had months to come up with it) but i'm really stuck on what to do for my concept, what is everyone else doing?
(obviously i won't steel your concept, i just want some ideas :tongue: )

thank you :smile:
Reply 293
Ahh thank you, I was thinking about setting it in his mind so the stage would be really minimalistic and i'd use shadows for like the forest and stuff, but I have no idea whether that's good enough.

And yeah, I have two separate teachers, one for Woyzeck and one for Shakespeare. My teacher fr Shakespeare is brilliant, she calls herself a Shakespeare 'fan girl' she knows everything and is completely obsessed. We've gone through so much context with her :smile:
Reply 294
That idea sounds quite good to be honest...... you just need to explore context, how you want characters to be portrayed and lighting.

Im so worried about the Shakespeare notes..... If you could send me any notes you have they would be greatly appreciated.

Shout if you need anything!

Original post by Zo-e
Ahh thank you, I was thinking about setting it in his mind so the stage would be really minimalistic and i'd use shadows for like the forest and stuff, but I have no idea whether that's good enough.

And yeah, I have two separate teachers, one for Woyzeck and one for Shakespeare. My teacher fr Shakespeare is brilliant, she calls herself a Shakespeare 'fan girl' she knows everything and is completely obsessed. We've gone through so much context with her :smile:
Reply 295
Original post by dmcque
That idea sounds quite good to be honest...... you just need to explore context, how you want characters to be portrayed and lighting.

Im so worried about the Shakespeare notes..... If you could send me any notes you have they would be greatly appreciated.

Shout if you need anything!

Of course, all of my notes are handwritten, I'll type them soon and link them. In the mean time, my teacher made such a good blog, it's got loads of different categories, hope it helps :smile:

https://tallisdramashakespeareblog.wordpress.com/
Reply 296
The link so good..... thank you so much. I texted my friend about her concept and she said she will forward me her notes etc. So when i get them i will attach a link so you can view them. Hopefully she won't take long... she's normally super quick.

Original post by Zo-e
Of course, all of my notes are handwritten, I'll type them soon and link them. In the mean time, my teacher made such a good blog, it's got loads of different categories, hope it helps :smile:

https://tallisdramashakespeareblog.wordpress.com/
Reply 297
Original post by dmcque
The link so good..... thank you so much. I texted my friend about her concept and she said she will forward me her notes etc. So when i get them i will attach a link so you can view them. Hopefully she won't take long... she's normally super quick.

You're welcome, thank you too :smile:
Hey guys, I'm currently doing AS Edexcel drama but I'm definitely going to do A2 next year! I was just wondering, is it better/worse than AS? How hard is the exam? Is it interesting? Thank you so much!
Reply 299
Original post by dauntlesstraitor
Hey guys, I'm currently doing AS Edexcel drama but I'm definitely going to do A2 next year! I was just wondering, is it better/worse than AS? How hard is the exam? Is it interesting? Thank you so much!

Erm, it's a difficult one.
The devising part of A2 was the best part of the whole course, so you have that to look forward to. I'm really enjoying the Shakespeare part of A2 exam (and I normally hate Shakespeare thanks to English) but that's just because I have a good teacher. I'm not enjoying woyzeck at all, it's one of the hardest parts of the whole course, but I think that might be because of my other teacher. So again, it really depends.
Overall I'd say it okay. I preferred the jump from AS to A2 in Drama better than my other subjects :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending